“Dark Ballet” thread

Love it, so close to something amazing but the distorted verse where you cant understand a word is stupid, ruins the flow and unfortunately is where the wider audience will switch off

9 minutes ago, roma said:

Love it, so close to something amazing but the distorted verse where you cant understand a word is stupid, ruins the flow and unfortunately is where the wider audience will switch off

It works for Daft Punk

Guest eroticerotic
2 minutes ago, Phineaspoe said:

It works for Daft Punk

you can actually understand what they say.

I believe Madonna meant that verse to be severely distorted though.

3 minutes ago, Phineaspoe said:

It works for Daft Punk

It works for many songs and l love it, especially a nice repetitive chorus. But l dont feel it works here despite what it may be intended to symbolize. Easily removed in edit, l love it otherwise but always hope for a wide audience for Madonna.

17 minutes ago, eroticerotic said:

you can actually understand what they say.

I believe Madonna meant that verse to be severely distorted though.

that's because they don't wear grills to sing 😂

2 minutes ago, roma said:

It works for many songs and l love it, especially a nice repetitive chorus. But l dont feel it works here despite what it may be intended to symbolize. Easily removed in edit, l love it otherwise but always hope for a wide audience for Madonna.

I get what you are saying but why do you hope for a wide audience for Madonna when Madonna herself doesn't give a rat's ass about it?...The entire planet knows who she is and her legacy is safe and sound for decades to come. She has earned the right to express herself however she pleases artistically at this stage of her career. Thank god she is still crisp and bold to present her art! Will this give her another top 10? Most likely not but let's  just celebrate the fact that she is still here giving us original fearless stuff instead of playing it safe!

Just listened to Dark Ballet. Interesting concept, nice touch with the classic interlude, but not my cup of tea. Missing the hook and the catchy verses that would make me go back and listen the song over and over again, like Crave, Medellin and Furure. For me, this is the weakest of all Madame X releases. Looking forward to the album next week!

I'm not the author of the text, by a brazilian fan:

It's curious to understand a little better why this music is chosen to be presented in installments as "Beautiful Game" in MET BALL and as manifesto in Eurovision. Dark Ballet is the "Madonna Rhapsody suffragist" that I imagined musically from the reviews and the person who stamps the cover of the album, is a dense lyric poetry, an ultra contemporary sound that synthesizes its idea about global division, the sound mix of the privileged (classic music) with the minority (electronic music), an empathic concept about an incandescent global political madness presented (in my impression) in 3 acts with several elements:

A manifest song, the violence and the melancholy of a reflection, the density of a lifetime (which may be yours you hear) passing to the madness of a nutcracker remixed in a whirlwind on floors inspired by Dance of Fairy Plum (begin), Tchaikovsky's Dance Of The Mirlitons (sample) and Dance of Swans (ending), which ends in a manifest poem about self-consciousness with an "amoral story" of a life that is only worth and worth living if the flame is kept on.

Look ... it's crazy, I found everything, less boring ...
I think we can have a story and so much told in the clip of it.

My suggestion for the trailer is that Madame X will introduce herself properly and I think the persona of the suffragist would be perfect to be the hostess.

Portrait of Susan Brownell Anthony (1820-1906), American suffragists and social reformer, by Matthew Brady, c.1870

A imagem pode conter: 1 pessoa

A imagem pode conter: 1 pessoa

Guest eroticerotic

Definitely not meant to be a regular song but that’s what I find refreshing. That’s the hook for me!

its just a very interesting piece of music 

it breaks every single pop song rule

i generally love quiet panic type of songs, moody songs

The video is amazing !!! One of the few she barely shows up, but it's intense and has a message. It's LAP and schizophrenic too, the music fits perfectly!! The photography is beautiful !!

This is the craziest song / video she has EVER done! I am so happy!!!!!

And to come up with a political and humanist message like this 30 years after LIKE A PRAYER.
Imagine James Baldwin would see this music video. I think he would be proud.

Now we have THREE great music music videos (or four if you count the live perfomance of FUTURE) and the album hasn't even been released yet!

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
1 hour ago, Mensch said:

If reminds me of Anhoni’s video where Naomi Campbell sings the song and Anhoni isn’t featured at all...i like it though of course I miss her not in it. I wish she was standing with the other women and had some close up shots of her face watching the burning OR it would swap between M and Mykke when he’s in the circle of men...

So maybe I misinterpreted the women in the video, standing while watching the man burn, but I got the impression they were those who stood by and did nothing. Why would you want Madonna to be among those women? 

For me, I felt Madonna was the narrator of the whole video.  She was the Entity that was to cast out the ones who were doing wrong. 

Edited by Amelia aka Neutrocks

What an incredible piece of work. Both the song and the video. Weird, intense, haunting, dark, beautiful. Her haters just need to take several seats. 

The video is now on YouTube.