Medellin SINGLE has premiered (closed)

My reaction as a Colombian, and a fan:

At first, I wasn't so sure about it. Then, 30 minutes later I said to me: let's search the lyrics and start to sing the song. I didn't realise that I was suddenly DANCING to the song. It is a grower, for sure.

Maluma is SO annoying, and Madonna has like 350 filters on her voice on the chorus. But the song is catchy, groovy, fun, and different.

NOW, details:

Maluma says: 

"Si tu quieres nos vamos por Detroit" (If you want we go to Detroit)

This is a reference to ANAL SEX LOL. "Detroit" in Spanish sounds like "Detrás" (behind) and it's a very well know joke in Latin countries.

Madonna says: "We built a cartel just for love", in a reference to drug cartels in Medellín, widely know for all the damages in the country duroing the 80s and 90s

1 minute ago, mtzlplk said:

who the hell is she anyway? 

Ask Jeby. He/She know her...🙄

1 minute ago, Jairo said:

"Si tu quieres nos vamos por Detroit" (If you want we go to Detroit)

Oh my...🤣

10 minutes ago, Musicinferno said:

What´s the point in posting random opinions from retards?

Keep the positivity.

She is totally clueless. Banish her to the peanut gallery!😂

From a pop music/get the kids boppin standpoint, this song is fire and far better than I had allowed myself to hope for. It's got fantastic rhythm, makes me want to dance, and makes me envision M in a new way. Listening to it nonstop now for 30 min and it just keeps getting better. I predict some chart success with this one. Her strongest opening single since Hung Up by far.

7 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I'm not liking the song at all. It's 4 Minutes all over again for me. I'm not going to go into detail on why I don't like it because I feel that all the positivity happening here is important and needed!

I'm not usually a fan of releasing multiple singles close together but I think it would be great to release another single in May, if the rumors are true. It will show the diverse of the album and keep the buzz going until the album is released. (And maybe I'll like that other single.....)

I'm 100% positive that there will be stuff on the album that I will love. I'm happy that everyone here is happy. We've waited so long for new music and it's finally here! Can't wait for the video. Maybe the video will change my opinion of the song.

I have a similar point of view. Although the song does sound more interesting with each listen.

But there will be a 2nd single the albums not out until June 14th and she has already shot another music video for the disco/dance track.

It wouldn't make commercial sense to take Medellin to The Eurovision when she has the other track which already in its description sounds like a perfect fit for Europe on ice.

I think this track is an opener and the albums track listening reads like a love letter to all things Latin/Spanish so it would make sense to begin the era on a Latin footing.

But I think a more obvious lead is coming a la Music 2019 from Madonna & Mirwais next month. 

I love it. Not an instant love. Just Hope most people have the chance to listen to it.

Has been played in radios? Any report?

6 minutes ago, Confessit said:

It wouldn't make commercial sense to take Medellin to The Eurovision when she has the other track which already in its description sounds like a perfect fit for Europe on ice.

Do you thik this track will be "I rise", described as an anthemic song?

1 hour ago, Nonoka said:

Gave it another spin on my stereo system...Still not sure what to make of this. I do agree with others there's a melancholic vibe about it, especially in the verses, which I like. However, the chorus doesn't go anywhere and I'm missing what sets M apart from everyone else in the music biz - her ability to create beautiful melodies and make every song unmistakably her own. This song is lacking both in my very honest opinion.

I think what prevents me from getting into the music the most is Maluma talking between M's lines à la Sean Paul. Is there any chance some talented soul could cut that out? (Looking at you @dubtronic :laugh:)

I kind of know what you mean - although I love it. At first, I was a bit like, 'Too much Maluma...'  but once I got my head around the fact that it's a duet (not a feat Maluma) it bothered me less... I think the fact that chorus doesn't come in until 2:36 played a part in the fact that I didn't instantly love it. 

Her voice , although filtered, sounds GORGEOUS. I can see this being a big summer hit. And we have a video in a week and then another song a week after - which I bet will be completely different. Hurrah! Just fucking hurrah! 🙂

Just now, systemvalues said:

Do you thik this track will be "I rise", described as an anthemic song?

Yes I do!

The fact the press release is calling it an anthem, we know it has a political message of all people coming together from the information about the video shoot.

think this song will be the hit for her in the usual markets in Europe (Maybe not the states) and Medlin a hit for her in Latin markets. If so it will make her album a true global piece of work indeed.

I can't imagine what's gonna happen in this forum when she unleashes a banger a la music/hung up. People will be hyperventiling and I can't wait.

On my 21st listen! Been up since 3 AM. The outro is the duo climaxing together.

Edited by toujours

I love it! Took me a while to finally listen to the song in full. I was on the Autobahn when it premiered on that awful radio station. I listened to a handful of shitty songs and then finally, when Medellín started about 15 seconds into the song, there was no reception... God hates me. 

I'm so happy I could cry!!

I LOVE this song, it's FRESH, a new sound for her. Her boldest lead single choice since the last time she worked with Mirwais IMO. Madonna and Mirwais are #magic together....I can see why she used that hashtag so much. I can definitely see how it could be polarizing but I really do think in this case, a good portion of those that aren't liking it now will come around. It's definitely a grower. I was confused but pleasantly surprised on first listen by third listen though, everything clicked and I'm pretty sure I've maxed out my Spotify plays that will count towards charts :lol:. I like the slinky, subdued, smooth, summery vibe of this song and starting the era on a low key note (similar to Secret as others have stated) is refreshing! Maluma is wonderful and also sounds sexy......you can feel their chemistry on this record. Doesn't feel gimmicky or try hard. Really, just couldn't be more pleased right now.