Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Flip The Switch

The Notre Dame Cathedral fire: Roof entirely collapsed

Recommended Posts

I had always visited Notre Dame when i went to Paris - and planned to do so this week again, when visiting Paris. Absolutely devastating. I just hope something new will come out of it, when they will rebuilt. I just hope the original facade will make it through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just awful and so sad. It's one if not the most beautiful cathedrals in the world. So so sad. The images make me think of 911. 😔😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So devastating.  So much history and such a beautiful cathedral.  Just horrible and a sense of hopeless loss.  :cries:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karbatal said:

It's surreal. I'm at work and whenever I lift my head and watch the television I can't believe this is happening. 

I just refuse to watch any images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devastating.

Anytime history/art/architecture are forever lost is such a blow to humanity. Always makes me depressed...and infuriated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dreadful, I really can't believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nonoka said:

The fire is largely put out now and the structure is safe. Definitely not burning to the ground, as the thread title implies...thankfully!!

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/notre-dame-fire/h_b65ed0ae7b1533f801dd7c989212497a

Yep...fixed! 🙏🏻

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank the powers that be. Hopefully they can save it after all in some way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really regret that I never went inside the church when I visited Paris.

At least the major part of the structure was saved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Devastating.

Anytime history/art/architecture are forever lost is such a blow to humanity. Always makes me depressed...and infuriated.

I always feel the same. It's sad seeing beautiful old buildings and structures get destroyed for any reason when we have the technology today to remodel etc. 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LSD said:

 

Thank goodness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was traveling today and saw this on television screens at the airport. Truly heartbreaking to see. Grateful no lives were lost, if that is accurate. 

Still, spiritually and emotionally, these are difficult images to absorb. 

(No, I’m not French, I’ve never been to France, unfortunately ... and I’m not Catholic, although I am Christian. And it still affected me deeply. So I know there are plenty more folks who are feeling this loss on a profound level, even more so than me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The images of notre dame burning are really powerful, we have seen it in so many movies, study about it in high school, I have visited it a few times too...but the coverage that the journalists are doing about it is ridiculous.40 minutes talking about it, that´s three times more than they have talked about any war in the world in the last months.And they used adjetives that should have been used only when people were dying. This is not september 11, or march eleven, or when that discoteque was attacked...when I hear the same words used by the journalists used for these 4 situations...we live in a really shallow society...has the pope say something? I bet he is thinking something like "well, that´s sad, beautiful art...but nobody died, so it´s not that big a deal"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still makes me sad about what happened.  Couldn't even watch the news clips of the fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a relief to hear the structure and most of the interiors are intact and the reliquaries are safe and that no one got hurt. It would have been devastating to know so much history is gone in the flames... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, promise to try said:

The images of notre dame burning are really powerful, we have seen it in so many movies, study about it in high school, I have visited it a few times too...but the coverage that the journalists are doing about it is ridiculous.40 minutes talking about it, that´s three times more than they have talked about any war in the world in the last months.And they used adjetives that should have been used only when people were dying. This is not september 11, or march eleven, or when that discoteque was attacked...when I hear the same words used by the journalists used for these 4 situations...we live in a really shallow society...has the pope say something? I bet he is thinking something like "well, that´s sad, beautiful art...but nobody died, so it´s not that big a deal"

I'm sorry but I don't agree AT ALL with your message. Information is not only about death. Not only about war. It's about human interest. And those news required exactly that coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I'm sorry but I don't agree AT ALL with your message. Information is not only about death. Not only about war. It's about human interest. And those news required exactly that coverage.

of course, but really, only info  about a church? it seems to me that we care too much about things a not about people.Of course it´s important that a part of a church that it´s so symbolic for us is burning, but...if I was the director of the newspaper, that would have a great picture in the first page, and some info in the last one. And nothing the next day. I think we  are really shallow.And I wonder how do all the rest of the countries feel about this, when they have had all type of simbolic buildings destroyed, and we haven´t give them even 1 minute in the news.it´s disrespectful.

and of course info is about human interest, and we the humans are shallow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, promise to try said:

The images of notre dame burning are really powerful, we have seen it in so many movies, study about it in high school, I have visited it a few times too...but the coverage that the journalists are doing about it is ridiculous.40 minutes talking about it, that´s three times more than they have talked about any war in the world in the last months.And they used adjetives that should have been used only when people were dying. This is not september 11, or march eleven, or when that discoteque was attacked...when I hear the same words used by the journalists used for these 4 situations...we live in a really shallow society...has the pope say something? I bet he is thinking something like "well, that´s sad, beautiful art...but nobody died, so it´s not that big a deal"

Sorry,  but don't agree at all.  The Notre Dame Cathedral is an iconic, beautiful building that means so much to people around the world and especially to the people of Paris.  It is part of history.  It was built in 1163.  Has witnessed and survived the French Revolution, Two world wars and is steeped in world history.  Buildings are part of the world's history.   There is so much today that people just don't bother about - too interested in their mobile phones, reality tv shows and know nothing of history.  We need historic buildings, churches, structures etc with a rich long past to remind us of our history.  They are incredibly important and mean so much to people. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a crying shame that this happened to such a glorious and valuable piece of history. It must be restored, and the cost will be unbelievable. In view of this France will need friendship and support

I'm not religious at all, but have seen those scoffing at this tragedy on social media. One word comes to mind for those people. Disgusting, they should think about how long ago the cathedral was built and consider what an achievement it was.

No cranes, power tools, modern scaffolding or even decent roads to transport all the materials. All done by physically very hard dangerous work, and highly skilled tradesmen.

Atheists, trolls and agnostics should consider what went into actually building this place before sneering at its destruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, promise to try said:

of course, but really, only info  about a church? it seems to me that we care too much about things a not about people.Of course it´s important that a part of a church that it´s so symbolic for us is burning, but...if I was the director of the newspaper, that would have a great picture in the first page, and some info in the last one. And nothing the next day. I think we  are really shallow.And I wonder how do all the rest of the countries feel about this, when they have had all type of simbolic buildings destroyed, and we haven´t give them even 1 minute in the news.it´s disrespectful.

and of course info is about human interest, and we the humans are shallow

This is the typical debate a la “would you rescue a 1000 year old book or a person from a fire, if you had to choose”... complete nonsense and doesn’t lead to anything of substance. There is no right or wrong in this scenario. People have every right to feel affection towards an historical object that’s dear to their heart and be worried if it’s in danger. Doesn’t mean they don’t care just as much if not more about people. 

I guess no one would cry about the roof if there had been victims or fatalities. Luckily there were none. This is not about questionable priorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, promise to try said:

of course, but really, only info  about a church? it seems to me that we care too much about things a not about people.Of course it´s important that a part of a church that it´s so symbolic for us is burning, but...if I was the director of the newspaper, that would have a great picture in the first page, and some info in the last one. And nothing the next day. I think we  are really shallow.And I wonder how do all the rest of the countries feel about this, when they have had all type of simbolic buildings destroyed, and we haven´t give them even 1 minute in the news.it´s disrespectful.

and of course info is about human interest, and we the humans are shallow

When something this big happens, it simply takes time from other pieces of news. Which doesn't have to be as important as a war. If a bomb had exploded in the Louvre, all information would have turned from Notre Dame to the Louvre. Today's newspapers have a big coverage but it has occupied the place of lesser news such as Finland's elections or Brexit. All overage about Notre Dame will be in the International section. 

Yesterday it was a moment of impact that did required all coverage in Spain (where you watched the news) for several reasons: it's very near Spain, most Spaniards have visited the temple..., but most importantly, we can relate as our cities have cathedrals and castles with treasures which are one thousand years old too. That makes the coverage in Spain on point. 

For the rest of the world, 13 million people visit Notre Dame every year, it's one of the most valuable and iconic buildings in the world and we didn't know during the coverage if the whole building would go down and if the fire would spread to the whole Ile de la Cité. Another mix that brings the interest to the public! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Sorry,  but don't agree at all.  The Notre Dame Cathedral is an iconic, beautiful building that means so much to people around the world and especially to the people of Paris.  It is part of history.  It was built in 1163.  Has witnessed and survived the French Revolution, Two world wars and is steeped in world history.  Buildings are part of the world's history.   There is so much today that people just don't bother about - too interested in their mobile phones, reality tv shows and know nothing of history.  We need historic buildings, churches, structures etc with a rich long past to remind us of our history.  They are incredibly important and mean so much to people. 

 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully, most parts are in good state!!!

D4OpjQVXoAY67sc.jpg:large

 

And the beautiful glass is intact! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, promise to try said:

of course, but really, only info  about a church? it seems to me that we care too much about things a not about people.Of course it´s important that a part of a church that it´s so symbolic for us is burning, but...if I was the director of the newspaper, that would have a great picture in the first page, and some info in the last one. And nothing the next day. I think we  are really shallow.And I wonder how do all the rest of the countries feel about this, when they have had all type of simbolic buildings destroyed, and we haven´t give them even 1 minute in the news.it´s disrespectful.

and of course info is about human interest, and we the humans are shallow

I don't know what news sources you watch, but for what I watch in the US, the coverage has been very sorrowful and compassionate for the Cathedral, the country, religion, and people in general. Already there is talk of people around the world wanting to donate and to rebuild. That's not 'shallow', that is humans caring and coming together in times of loss, crisis and not wanting to lose a world historical religious monument where millions have been able to worship and visit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Thankfully, most parts are in good state!!!

D4OpjQVXoAY67sc.jpg:large

 

And the beautiful glass is intact! 

 

 

So so good to hear!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karbatal said:

And the beautiful glass is intact! 

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...