The Notre Dame Cathedral fire: Roof entirely collapsed

Just heard about it as well. That loos like a horrible fire! Hope they can put it out as quick as possible, but looks like there's going to be a huge damage already...:no:  Hope they could evacuate everyone.

10 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Watching it on TV. It looks absolutely horrible. Must be devastating for France and Parisians in particular. Just sad.

For the whole world more likely. Its one of the oldest and biggest churches still standing. Absolutely horrible for world history/architecture/religion. Devastating. That was my favourite part of Paris.

16 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Part of the ceiling has already fallen. They were doing renovation works inside, so I guess the flammable products were everywhere. 

OMG!!!

The stained glass is lost forever!

d820416baee5a18ff7c3d28f339acd98.jpg

Thank god I had visited them back in the 00s

25 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Cathedrals have suffered lots of fires and destruction through the centures and are always renovated. I am sure that the Notre Dame cathedral will be as beautiful as before in the future. 

Yes. It’s terribly sad, but this is not the end of Notre Dame. It’s heartbreaking though to watch the damage being done... 😰

26 minutes ago, Lolo said:

Yes. It’s terribly sad, but this is not the end of Notre Dame. It’s heartbreaking though to watch the damage being done... 😰

Certainly not the end, but this is definitely going to have, beside the immense physical damage, a psychological impact on many in Paris and beyond as it obviously has such a landmark meaning. To see such a symbolic and visible building now charred and partly in ruins for several years is a tough thing to swallow for sure. 

It's good to hear nobody gut hurt, though!

The United States doesn't have buildings this old this beautiful. Which is why there's a slight disconnect except for those of us who are either catholic or have French heritage. The architecture alone can't be easily replicated. Sympathies for those most gravely affected.