The Notre Dame Cathedral fire: Roof entirely collapsed

7 hours ago, karbatal said:

Yesterday it was a moment of impact that did required all coverage in Spain (where you watched the news) for several reasons: it's very near Spain, most Spaniards have visited the temple..., but most importantly, we can relate as our cities have cathedrals and castles with treasures which are one thousand years old too. That makes the coverage in Spain on point. 

For the rest of the world, 13 million people visit Notre Dame every year, it's one of the most valuable and iconic buildings in the world and we didn't know during the coverage if the whole building would go down and if the fire would spread to the whole Ile de la Cité. Another mix that brings the interest to the public! 

I haven't watched the Bulgarian news yesterday and I dont know how was it covered, but this affected me a lot too. Maybe, cause I have visited and its my favourite part of Paris (together with the Latin quarter). And I also dont get the point of promise to try - comparing it with media coverage of death or war. I mean of course a person life is priceless, but so is the preservation of such historic buildings: in the end this is a unique architectural masterpiece standing there since 12 century, its a cultural object of a world importance. I felt as bad when the islamists were destroying Palmira too. Maybe even more, cause it was due to peoples stupidity, brutality and inhumanity and I was mad at those monsters. Anyways I always feel sad when I see a masterpiece destroyed, something that is unique and cant be duplicated and thats the case here... I am sure it would be restored to its initial magnificence.

1 hour ago, MadFan said:

5na9ho3ouls21.jpg

Half the people on my social media. :lmao:

well, not all the people that have shown images from their holidays were bragging about them...but I still think people are overreacting, and a lot of people are being shallow and childish. And, I also love paris, is the city that I consider "my city". I want my ashes to be thrown both here in Gipuzkoa and in paris, in the luxembourg´s gardens, my favourite place in the whole world.

14 hours ago, promise to try said:

The images of notre dame burning are really powerful, we have seen it in so many movies, study about it in high school, I have visited it a few times too...but the coverage that the journalists are doing about it is ridiculous.40 minutes talking about it, that´s three times more than they have talked about any war in the world in the last months.And they used adjetives that should have been used only when people were dying. This is not september 11, or march eleven, or when that discoteque was attacked...when I hear the same words used by the journalists used for these 4 situations...we live in a really shallow society...has the pope say something? I bet he is thinking something like "well, that´s sad, beautiful art...but nobody died, so it´s not that big a deal"

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with what you wrote. Tbqh I would also add I feel it's insensitive and disrespectful. 

21 hours ago, BrendanT1993 said:

Atheists, trolls and agnostics should consider what went into actually building this place before sneering at its destruction.

Actually, as an atheist myself, I know plenty (on social media) that were devastated at the destruction of the cathedral. Regardless of what we feel about religion, most can recognize and respect the historical, architectural, artistic and overall cultural significance of Notre Dame (and such buildings and artifacts like it).

12 hours ago, MadFan said:

5na9ho3ouls21.jpg

Those would be people living far away from Paris. I posted a little video from my honeymoon as homage but never to brag, because with Ryanair everyone in Spain can easily and cheaply spend a weekend in Paris. It's nothing to brag about. 

Anyway, those laughing at what people post can fuck off. They should let people be instead of being a hunch of bitter police 

5 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Actually, as an atheist myself, I know plenty (on social media) that were devastated at the destruction of the cathedral. Regardless of what we feel about religion, most can recognize and respect the historical, architectural, artistic and overall cultural significance of Notre Dame (and such buildings and artifacts like it).

I agree. I’m not atheist however I just believe in the possibility of other options besides what we were told. I think once upon a time religion used to be a good thing that enriched the soul but money, power and greed poisoned that long ago

Seeing a lot of talk about money being raised for the Notre Dame disaster. I get the history behind the Cathedral. BUT. Why can we not raise that sort of money for under privileged, poor, starving, homeless kids and people at home and around the world? How can a building be more important than those in need?

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Some reactions to this are so strange to me.

Rolling Stone quoted an architect calling the burning of Notre-Dame "liberating" :wacko:

A politician in my region said it was punishment from God because of France's secularism. :sadface:

Some people can't recognize the incredible human value of such constructions, they can't see how they represent the creativity, knowledge and ability of human beings in building things, yes, things, which is what makes our current safe and leisurly lives possible to begin with. Spirituality isn't dead for everyone, and it once inspired us puny humans to go beyond ourselves, beyond the narcissistic self and beyond our limitations to make something truly amazing and durable. That is also what Notre-Dame represents.

6 hours ago, BrendanT1993 said:

Seeing a lot of talk about money being raised for the Notre Dame disaster. I get the history behind the Cathedral. BUT. Why can we not raise that sort of money for under privileged, poor, starving, homeless kids and people at home and around the world? How can a building be more important than those in need?

Money is raised all the time for these issues - it is sadly a never ending problem and corrupt politicians, scam artists etc make it so difficult.  People do give incredibly generously around the world to help other people.   It is wrong though that every time people raise money for something,  people are complaining about not putting money somewhere else.  Nothing would ever get done if everyone has this attitude. 

4 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Some people can't recognize the incredible human value of such constructions, they can't see how they represent the creativity, knowledge and ability of human beings in building things, yes, things, which is what makes our current safe and leisurly lives possible to begin with. Spirituality isn't dead for everyone, and it once inspired us puny humans to go beyond ourselves, beyond the narcissistic self and beyond our limitations to make something truly amazing and durable. That is also what Notre-Dame represents.

Exactly.  The Notre Dame Cathedral is a testament to human achievement as well.  History and seeing historic beautiful buildings, monuments etc and what it means to millions of people is incredibly powerful.   

On 4/16/2019 at 3:02 PM, MadFan said:

5na9ho3ouls21.jpg

Cuz she cant aford a trip to France? Bitter gunt!