STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

Billboard doesn’t publish their album sales article till Sunday or Monday and that album chart isn’t refreshed on their site till Tuesday. It’s been like that for ages.

14 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

Well she partnered with artists who had very big streaming  numbers -- Maluma, Quavo, Swae Lae.  Obviously it didn't really work, but at least I personally really like all the songs. 

Yeah, it didn't. If you look at the streaming number of those artists, they don't match to the Madonna collaborations. There seems to be collected thinking of those fan bases to ignore Madonna. For example, it makes no sense that Maluma's videos get hundreds of millions of views while Medellin gets 31 million.

28 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

Well she partnered with artists who had very big streaming  numbers -- Maluma, Quavo, Swae Lae.  Obviously it didn't really work, but at least I personally really like all the songs. 

Yet for some reason, she (or someone on her team) keeps thinking it will work. All those collaborations do is make her look desperate. 

22 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Yeah, it didn't. If you look at the streaming number of those artists, they don't match to the Madonna collaborations. There seems to be collected thinking of those fan bases to ignore Madonna. For example, it makes no sense that Maluma's videos get hundreds of millions of views while Medellin gets 31 million.

True...she could make a video with any huge trendy name out there and she still wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of views those artists get. Why? Make it make sense cause i don't understand anymore.

37 minutes ago, Andra said:

True...she could make a video with any huge trendy name out there and she still wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of views those artists get. Why? Make it make sense cause i don't understand anymore.

I am kinda glad though, from one perspective. Hopefully that would drive or even force her to sonically go even less commercial for her next studio albums. More "Dark Ballet", less "Crave" 

1 minute ago, rocknrolla said:

Ugh I hate Dark ballet and love crave! 

:ohgoodgrief: Well not necessarily DARK BALLET but you may also think of "Extreme Occident", "Batuka", "Killers Who Are Partying", the darker, more experimental stuff. There's no need to be so literal ffs. 🤮 

Well, I still prefer her to go in a more pop direction ultimately.  Even if radio still won't touch her.

I was a little surprised after all the talk of being inspired by Portuguese music, there weren't a few more acoustic/stripped down songs. 

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

For such an intelligent artist, I am always shocked at how thick her fans are. I don't expect everyone to be a genius but can't you think creatively even for a second? :confused: 

So you are more intelligent because you want more experimental music?

She’s an almost 61yr pop artist some perspective guys 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️. She made an incredibly creative album and is inspired! 

You guys like i should be celebrating this era that has been artistically innovative and a pleasure to witness this woman/artist who doesn’t have to do this anymore but DOES!! and would still be considered the great Madonna along side the  likes of Elvis, beatles, Prince and Michael Jackson.  

Her album in my eyes is a huge success. Let’s see where Beyonce is at 61! Goodluck!

1 hour ago, yououghttavogue said:

Yet for some reason, she (or someone on her team) keeps thinking it will work. All those collaborations do is make her look desperate. 

No they don't.

Must say all your post sound desperate, though

2 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

What exactly were they supposed to do? The demographic that streams don't care about Madonna. The demographic that loves Madonna doesn't stream.

If they paid to push the songs in playlist, people would  get used to them and like them.
Medellin were pushed for a few days, but that's it. Crave should have been too.

Imagine  how well CRAVE would do if she would do a live performance of it on a TV program.

If she made a song like HP with Maluma then it would get a lot more views. But she didnt and gladly so. Maluma fans and GP couldnt catch on.

Faz Gostoso is doing well and will do well because it sounds what Anitta fan would love from her although done very well and inovatively.

5 minutes ago, Eltacubo said:

If she made a song like HP with Maluma then it would get a lot more views. But she didnt and gladly so. Maluma fans and GP couldnt catch on.

Faz Gostoso is doing well and will do well because it sounds what Anitta fan would love from her although done very well and inovatively.

Hanky Panky??

2 hours ago, Andra said:

Because those artists' fanbases are not interested in Madonna and also because there is no such thing as a loyal 'fanbase' in the day and age of streaming and 'easy come easy go'. A 16 year old Maluma fan who fancies him won't want to see him singing with Madonna - sorry. She'll save herself that 'click' and instead watch a video of him solo.

Sad but true. But also who cares. She's still our Madonna.

12 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

Because those artists' fanbases are not interested in Madonna and also because there is no such thing as a loyal 'fanbase' in the day and age of streaming and 'easy come easy go'. A 12 year old Maluma fan who fancies him won't want to see him with a 60 year old woman - sorry. She'll save herself that 'click' and instead watch a video of him solo.

Sad but true. But also who cares. She's still our Madonna.

Yes.

I think a lot of fans just need to come to grips that it's never going to be 2005-2008 again. Or even 2012 again! Things have changed SUPER fast. 

The culture and times have shifted and that means virtually zero room for Madonna to remain relevant in the way a lot of these pop acts are. But it should not matter. Madonna is still proving herself as a creative, curious woman at 60 and that's real progress. This time will be looked back on with admiration and appreciation for her boldness. Trust me, she is cementing  herself as an American legend right before our eyes, we are just caught up in the stupid details.

Madonna is pretty much the last of the superstars.People don't really handle their idols aging very well. I mean, it's even been hard for me! Not for any reason other than grappling with the fact that life is short. Young people will appreciate Madonna once its cool to, the way someone like me appreciates Bette Davis or Marilyn Monroe. I yearn for stars like them. But the fact is, those women were treated like SHIT once they started getting up there in age. Marilyn didn't even make it to 40. Bette Davis was constantly trotted out on chat shows to joke about the fact that she was old and reminisce about the old days. She was like a trinket. Now she's basically hailed as the best American actress in history. Sad but we know how this works.

There is just so much out there, it's overwhelming.  If you don't like something immediately, you move on.  So if they don't want to hear a duet with some old pop star they don't bother.

I'm guilty of that too a lot, though.  Like if I discover a new artist i might click on a couple of their top tracks, if I don't like I move on.  I don't have to buy a full album and give it a shot like before.

And like sometimes when you'd play an album and always skip a song.  Then you forget and hear a few seconds and then you think this isn't so bad.  Then eventually that's one of your favorites.  I don't have a chance to do this very often anymore

I think there's a longer term push for the album this time. The mini residencies will also help keep her profile high. I hope there will be a digital release of the videos/Lisbon journey and also maybe a DVD. I am sure they want to see the album in the charts when the tour hits, which may be a tall order. 

Oh well she's definitely made a splash though with the album even if not No. 1 in 40 countries or whatever. And she has some of her best recent reviews.

2 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

I think there's a longer term push for the album this time. The mini residencies will also help keep her profile high. I hope there will be a digital release of the videos/Lisbon journey and also maybe a DVD. I am sure they want to see the album in the charts when the tour hits, which may be a tall order. 

Oh well she's definitely made a splash though with the album even if not No. 1 in 40 countries or whatever. And she has some of her best recent reviews.

She is being creative and imaginative and after the last 2 eras (MDNA = all creative capital went to the tour [no complaints there], RH = well, check out the Mojo interview), I am really fucking relieved.

There was a point in 2015 when a fellow fan that I know "IRL" had just watched the Bitch I'm Madonna video, sighed, looked down, and was like "she just doesn't have much left in her." And that really hit me straight in the heart cuz I kind of felt the same way. I was beginning to just let go tbh. So needless to say, I'm really happy she proved me wrong with this album. Couldn't ask for a more inspirational moment. 

36 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

There is just so much out there, it's overwhelming.  If you don't like something immediately, you move on.  So if they don't want to hear a duet with some old pop star they don't bother.

I'm guilty of that too a lot, though.  Like if I discover a new artist i might click on a couple of their top tracks, if I don't like I move on.  I don't have to buy a full album and give it a shot like before.

And like sometimes when you'd play an album and always skip a song.  Then you forget and hear a few seconds and then you think this isn't so bad.  Then eventually that's one of your favorites.  I don't have a chance to do this very often anymore

Same for me, doing a lot. And almost never listen to a full album, even from artist I like...

I think the thing that we all have to remember is that for a legendary icon like Madonna, she is incredibly impressive and she is still very much relevant and having huge hit records, later in her career at the "30 year+ in" stage. 

To have NINE #1 albums on the Billboard 200 Chart in the US is a feat few artists her peer level can achieve. Only the legendary Barbara Streisand has more in the female category, with 11!

Look at Rihanna with 2 #1 albums, Diana Ross with 1, Mariah Carey with just 4 #1 albums, Whitney Houston amassed 4 #1's (Rest In Peace), Taylor Swift has 5, Jennifer Lopez has 3, Celine Dion 5, and Janet Jackson has a solid 7. 

As for Beyonce and Britney Spears, they both have 6. 

Madonna can sell branding, music and trends. That's what she has always done extremely well.

Edited by jjbradleynyc

Hey guys - she's #1 in the US... shouldn't we be celebrating that instead of her "only being #2" in other countries? 😕 

Yes, her streaming numbers are abysmal, but given her place in the pop world post 50 years old that will never change unless one of her songs is attached to a viral dance or some novelty video. And do we really want her to get a top 10 hit single because of (for instance) a video of a kitten falling down the stairs to the tune of Bitch I'm Loca? 😏

2 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

Well, I still prefer her to go in a more pop direction ultimately.  Even if radio still won't touch her.

I was a little surprised after all the talk of being inspired by Portuguese music, there weren't a few more acoustic/stripped down songs. 

Yeah. I actually liked the demos of Rebel Heart more then what ended up on the album. They were more pop and she stripped a lot of that away when the leak happened. It's a shame. There's no way of knowing but I think the album would have been much better off releasing it as is. Not sure why she felt the need to redo all of them.

I expected more acoustic tracks on Madame X too but I think they will be live, like Crave.

I think her fanbase is older than the fanbases of the streaming giants. I stream exclusively but my listening habits are probably minuscule compared to young people. I don’t have time in my day to listen to much music and there are times I enjoy silence.

I’ve listened to MX constantly in the past week but it’s not sustainable. My life isn’t revolved around music. 

I’d love to see any streaming numbers for unique listener interactions with albums/songs compared to repeated listens by a small group or demo listening over and over. 

I love what she has accomplished on this album. It’s a masterwork.

23 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

You I think her fanbase is older than the fanbases of the streaming giants. I stream exclusively but my listening habits are probably minuscule compared to young people. I don’t have time in my day to listen to much music and there are times I enjoy silence.

I’ve listened to MX constantly in the past week but it’s not sustainable. My life isn’t revolved around music. 

I’d love to see any streaming numbers for unique listener interactions with albums/songs compared to repeated listens by a small group or demo listening over and over. 

I love what she has accomplished on this album. It’s a masterwork.

Agree with this. 

The album campaign has consistently delivered over 2 months. I can't really fault it. They did lots of things right and in terms of streaming, it made sense to release the songs they did first. I'm surprised those songs didn't perform better and I'm shocked at the low views for the Crave video but no one can say it's been a bad roll out. Eurovision was a disappointment as we all know what incredible performances she delivers and this was the right time to remind the general public of that. But, that has already been discussed.

We're moving into an era where stats mean less and less. Streaming records change by the day. I read an article the other day where it said Ed Sheeran has shifted 150 million albums. He's had 3 albums out so that would mean each of his albums was as successful as Thriller. Its complete rubbish. As we've seen, every artist (including Madonna) claims their album is at #1 when it hits that spot briefly on iTunes.

At this stage, I'm glad of the good reviews and the fact that this album will stand the test of time. And she has just had another US #1. A stat worth bothering about. 

I just wish there had been more live performances on TV. I can only presume she didn't want to do this as most of the more commercial songs are duets and the others would be difficult to perform live.