STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

15 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

But why can’t she sustain she’s freaking Madonna, overnight after Hard Candy it literally changed.. I get she is older, streaming, bad PR etc etc, I truely believe the Warner’s decision and the repercussions over an extended period killed her as a commercial artist, how do you go from selling millions with COADF to almost a million per album since. Is she that hated now days? 

CDs are treated like leprosy at retail these days. When COADF came out there were still megastores with 100s of copies to move. Now they put 3 copies out at Target when the cashier is free to work the stock room.

I know we are all mad about one thing or the other but let us also remember this is not a Madonna problem. All acts that are not mumble rapping or nursery rhyming a la Swift are suffering same. In fact I actually like the calm down song or whatever it is called by Taylor but her PR Juggernaut is only second to Beyonce's. Madonna's record company and team do not put that kind of effort. So as disappointed  as we are, do not use it to judge Madonna's art or Madonna. It's the business. Also some silly decisions by Madonna herself as in what to perform where and when and what songs to release to showcase the best of the album. 

Just now, Flip The Switch said:

So she got #1 spot or not? I’ve been playing this album do death in 3 platforms. 🙂

In the US it looks like she's going to be #1 by quite a substantial amount! 👍

1 hour ago, motherandfather03 said:

what is going on with US iTunes though, i am very surprised it is down to #12

Because Madame X has been on ITunes for almost a week and people prefer to buy the physical copies of Madame X. 

4 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

In the US it looks like she's going to be #1 by quite a substantial amount! 👍

YES!

You have no idea how happy that makes me!

1 hour ago, metalissimo said:

Because Madame X has been on ITunes for almost a week and people prefer to buy the physical copies of Madame X. 

1 hour ago, metalissimo said:

Based on this - why is Bruce still so high? Promo? 

I wonder had MJ lived and without the scandals would he suffer the same amount of scrutiny for every release? Would sales for MJ and Madonna be similar, if I remember MJ albums prior to his death were selling less and less, I mean it’s the only fair comparison apples and apples? The real spanner in the works for Madonna has been digital downloads, she is such a physical artist, imagine the thousands of copies she doesn’t sell because of digital, either illegal or people buying select songs, also Madonna was NEVER established as a streaming artist, Guy let her down in this format.

1 hour ago, motherandfather03 said:

Based on this - why is Bruce still so high? Promo? 

No because he is a boring man. He appeals to older adults and makes music catered to them. Madonna is the opposite. 

8 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

I wonder had MJ lived and without the scandals would he suffer the same amount of scrutiny for every release? Would sales for MJ and Madonna be similar, if I remember MJ albums prior to his death were selling less and less, I mean it’s the only fair comparison apples and apples? The real spanner in the works for Madonna has been digital downloads, she is such a physical artist, imagine the thousands of copies she doesn’t sell because of digital, either illegal or people buying select songs, also Madonna was NEVER established as a streaming artist, Guy let her down in this format.

MJ would prob be shifting a cool couple million of his new stuff if he were still around. Madonna did around 1 million of RH. Historically, he always tended to sell a little more than her if you put albums they released around the same time side by side.....Invincible/Music may be one of the exceptions to that. Definitely don't think he'd be immune to the overall decline in sales across the board that everyone experiences.....also don't think he'd be any sort of streaming force that would rival the newer acts. Madonna gets scrutinized unfairly for a lot of things but one thing they both have in common is their previous massive successes are used against them. In MJ's case, from Dangerous onward (really Bad to a degree) there was a narrative that he wasn't as successful because those albums didn't equal Thriller amounts. That was the case up until his last studio album in '01.....it sold something like 6-7 million but it's a "flop" to many. With Madonna, in recent years, the beef is she isn't churning out COADF's with every release.....both stylistically and commercially, so she's "lost it" and "needs to retire". 

Regarding streaming for Madonna, I feel like Madonna doesn't do too terribly in that area considering she's 60 and almost 40 yrs into her career. Are there any other living 60+ acts that are top streaming artists? I'm seriously asking. A large bulk of M fans are in the 40+ or even 50+ range so not as much streaming going on there as the teens and 20 somethings obviously. Not sure what Guy could really do about that.

1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

MJ would prob be shifting a cool couple million of his new stuff if he were still around. Madonna did around 1 million of RH. Historically, he always tended to sell a little more than her if you put albums they released around the same time side by side.....Invincible/Music may be one of the exceptions to that. Definitely don't think he'd be immune to the overall decline in sales across the board that everyone experiences.....also don't think he'd be any sort of streaming force that would rival the newer acts. Madonna gets scrutinized unfairly for a lot of things but one thing they both have in common is their previous massive successes are used against them. In MJ's case, from Dangerous onward (really Bad to a degree) there was a narrative that he wasn't as successful because those albums didn't equal Thriller amounts. That was the case up until his last studio album in '01.....it sold something like 6-7 million but it's a "flop" to many. With Madonna, in recent years, the beef is she isn't churning out COADF's with every release.....both stylistically and commercially, so she's "lost it" and "needs to retire". 

Regarding streaming for Madonna, I feel like Madonna doesn't do too terribly in that area considering she's 60 and almost 40 yrs into her career. Are there any other living 60+ acts that are top streaming artists? I'm seriously asking. A large bulk of M fans are in the 40+ or even 50+ range so not as much streaming going on there as the teens and 20 somethings obviously. Not sure what Guy could really do about that.

Thanks for your response, really informative. I agree Ms huge success is the barometer that is used against her, not fair and the media know it. How could she possibly compete against her zenith with the music industry in such decline since digital and streaming took over, your right about MJ selling more than M if measured today however I think that is due to one being a risk taker and prepared to sacrifice commercial success versus a talent that would rely on similar styles album after album, there is safety in the familiar. Madonna has been the victim of an ongoing perfect storm since Hard candy none of which has effected her level of fame or really her touring success (I think RHT even though a success) suffered from market over exposure and inflated pricing, I think the Mx tour concept allows time to rest the big show and build anticipation for what I feel she will need to be a marketed hits tour next time, without it being a greatest hits tour (Reinvention style) I think Ms constant and non reliance and ignoring her legacy between albums DOES effect the commercial success of new material, she becomes a celebrity instead of an artist during breaks as seen terribly between RH and MX.

Edited by Who Is That Girl?

I’ve always felt MJ spent the majority of his career recreating Thriller.  In that sense, he played it safe and made music that appealed to his core fans.  This differs greatly with Madonna, who keeps switching her musical styles at the risk of losing fans along the way (and probably did).

10 hours ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

No because he is a boring man. He appeals to older adults and makes music catered to them. Madonna is the opposite. 

The ageist comments again. Bruce is not boring. He’s just as legendary as Madonna... his music is amazing. We should celebrate that both acts are still able to get top spots.

1 hour ago, FeTuoni said:

The ageist comments again. Bruce is not boring. He’s just as legendary as Madonna... his music is amazing. We should celebrate that both acts are still able to get top spots.

Youre taking it too literal. I used the wrong choice of words. I meant he makes safe music. He doesnt record songs like Bitch Im Madonna or Candy Shop.  So he doesnt alienate people the way Madonna does.  

Although to me his music is boring and just because you are "legendary" doesnt mean you make good music. 

2 hours ago, FeTuoni said:

Bruce is an incredible artist as is Madonna. Respect. ✅

Omg this Bruce guy is always a major challenge against Madonna when it comes to charts. Didn’t she already lose to him before? It’s annoying that he releases his shitty music right when M releases hers. I could care less for him and hope his albums drop in sales into an oblivion. Madonna deserves a #1 album!!! All these shitty Bruce albums and Empire soundtracks can go suck it! 

This is what happens when you join with a touring promoter who focuses more on ticket sales and merch while her “record label” is only a distributor who basically gets money for the distribution either way how the record does.  

Combine that with an inefficient management and voila you’ve got yourself 10 years under the 360 deal. She is not complaining I’m sure, because Live Nation made her even richer  

I hated WB for some of the stupid decisions they made but they were working their connections to radio and did their part to promote her albums.

I’m really curious to see if there will be a new deal after 2020 and if so with whom. 

14 hours ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

So Madonna doesnt appeal to old nor young?

3 hours ago, FeTuoni said:

I think Madonna is way more legendary, bigger, influential and global and have more hits. Or at least used to be.

It was always MJ, M, Prince

and then Whitney and GM. Bruce was hardly even mentioned i this context.

Thats why she should still be doing better than him.

Mediabase Building Charts (radio)

CRAVE 

HOT AC #38 (increase in spins) 

AC #16(increase in spins)

Maybe if fans focus on streaming CRAVE and video views in addition to her sales A BB HOT100 debut is not out of the question.....

Madonna38HOTAC.JPG

MAdonnaat16.JPG

I’m so confused right now. What happened to all the predictions that Madame X was going to hit #1 on billboard hot 100 in USA? 

Guest jamesshot
13 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

I’m so confused right now. What happened to all the predictions that Madame X was going to hit #1 on billboard hot 100 in USA? 

That hasn't changed. Still predicted to hit #1 by a large amount.

33 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

So Madonna doesnt appeal to old nor young?

this actually sounds accurate when it comes to the general public and casual fans. 

2 hours ago, SheldonCooper said:

Bruce is an incredible artist as is Madonna. Respect. ✅

Exactly. Those of you who feel compelled to spend your frustrations by disrespecting one of the great American songwriters, you are ridiculous. When you have a 45-year career behind you with several classic albums, you can come and present your personal tastes as facts, but not before that. 

Seriously, the culture of stans that disrespect any artist who is not Madonna is not worthy of a person over 15 year. Furthermore, it is the same people who complain about the bias of Pitchfork's "writer" who has disrespected Madonna because he is a Lambs.   🙄

3 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

Exactly. Those of you who feel compelled to spend your frustrations in disrespect to one of the great American songwriters, you are ridiculous. When you have a 45-year career behind you with several classic albums, you can come and present your personal tastes as facts, but not before that. No, but seriously, the culture of stans that disrespect any artist who is not Madonna is not worthy of a person over 15 years. 

Precisely. Much respect to The Boss.

1 hour ago, Katypatra said:

It's still debuting at #1 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart, for week ending June 29th, 2019. 

The official announcement may not come out until tomorrow or this weekend,  but she should be getting her 9th #1 album in the US.

The Hot 100 chart you are referencing only tracks singles/songs, not albums, but I get what you meant. 🙂

Edited by jjbradleynyc

1 hour ago, Katypatra said:

People's meltdown is related to Bruce outselling her in many other major marjers, especially in Europe where pre-Eurovision we would've thought she had this in the bag!