STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

2 hours ago, promise to try said:

and Impresive instant´s video/single!! what the hell happened?

Well, I believe the rumor of her wanting it as a single but Warner saying no but I would love if she would confirm it!

12 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Well, I believe the rumor of her wanting it as a single but Warner saying no but I would love if she would confirm it!

It would be very interesting. It could easily of been a hit she was on fire in 2001 literally anything she put out would of got attention.

9 hours ago, Confessit said:

It would be very interesting. It could easily of been a hit she was on fire in 2001 literally anything she put out would of got attention.

Yes. It's weird that Warner wanted to play it safe with Amazing. It's a good song but too similar to Beautiful Stranger to be a single, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Yes. It's weird that Warner wanted to play it safe with Amazing. It's a good song but too similar to Beautiful Stranger to be a single, in my opinion.

So how come neither Impressive Instant nor Amazing was released? 

8 hours ago, metalissimo said:

So how come neither Impressive Instant nor Amazing was released? 

Exactly! Have never understood why it was one or the other. Perhaps they were concerned that stretching out the life of Music would interfere with GHV2 (the most pointless release of her career), which is totally ridiculous. 

I can totally see why WB wanted Amazing as a single and it would've hit too. In an era of totally interchangeable songs by BSB, Nsync, Britney etc, I don't think Madonna having a single that bears a resemblance to another that was over 2 yrs old at that point would've mattered much. Similar doesn't = copy......the songs ARE different after all.

As for II, I think I'll always be disappointed that they didn't jump on the chance to release that. No doubt it would've been risky (but even Music the song was a risky choice for first single) at that time though, Madonna could afford to release "quirky" singles like that. She was coming off of 3 (4 if you count BS) back to back major hits! Probably the last time she could "safely" do something like that and still get at the very least a top 40 out of it. Have to say though, I think II would've smashed.....just based on reactions to the song within my own circle at that time. To this day, it's such a cool and FRESH song. Add an epic video into the equation and Madonna would've easily had another top 10 on her hands.....especially had it been the 3rd single instead of WIFLFAG. At least it became a number one on the dance charts!

Anyways......all water under a very old bridge at this point I suppose.....lol.

4 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Exactly! Have never understood why it was one or the other. Perhaps they were concerned that stretching out the life of Music would interfere with GHV2 (the most pointless release of her career), which is totally ridiculous. 

I can totally see why WB wanted Amazing as a single and it would've hit too. In an era of totally interchangeable songs by BSB, Nsync, Britney etc, I don't think Madonna having a single that bears a resemblance to another that was over 2 yrs old at that point would've mattered much. Similar doesn't = copy......the songs ARE different after all.

As for II, I think I'll always be disappointed that they didn't jump on the chance to release that. No doubt it would've been risky (but even Music the song was a risky choice for first single) at that time though, Madonna could afford to release "quirky" singles like that. She was coming off of 3 (4 if you count BS) back to back major hits! Probably the last time she could "safely" do something like that and still get at the very least a top 40 out of it. Have to say though, I think II would've smashed.....just based on reactions to the song within my own circle at that time. To this day, it's such a cool and FRESH song. Add an epic video into the equation and Madonna would've easily had another top 10 on her hands.....especially had it been the 3rd single instead of WIFLFAG. At least it became a number one on the dance charts!

Anyways......all water under a very old bridge at this point I suppose.....lol.

It was a fascinating time! I think there was an opportunity to release II in a similar way to Drowned World during Ray of Light. Don't Tell Me was released in Jan 2001 in the US whereas it was released Nov 2000 in Europe, which meant DTM hung around a lot longer in North America. II could've been released as a Europe-only single in early 2001, and then things could have gotten back on a uniform global schedule for WIFLFAG in spring. 

At least from a US perspective, I really don't think II was a smash waiting to happen. I think it's reception would've been more along the lines of Bedtime Story to be honest. Amazing would have definitely done well, though. I think even WIFLFAG could've done better than it did, but it was released too late and really wasn't promoted that well. 

WIFLFAG could have done with two videos, one for the remix, and another for the album version - and this video conveys the femininity message beautifully, being in contrast to the violent remix one - so we got to see two different sides of M as a woman. 

3 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

WIFLFAG could have done with two videos, one for the remix, and another for the album version - and this video conveys the femininity message beautifully, being in contrast to the violent remix one - so we got to see two different sides of M as a woman. 

yes, it should have two videos, the remixed sing on the video is not the same song

I guess they could have released somethingless radical than II in the US, one of the ballads (gone...)

19 minutes ago, promise to try said:

yes, it should have two videos, the remixed sing on the video is not the same song

I guess they could have released somethingless radical than II in the US, one of the ballads (gone...)

The Above & Beyond remix is an electro masterpiece, while the album version is a gorgeous midtempo number. They both equally deserve to have a video. "Impressive Instant" should have been released too, with a cutting-edge video and the live performance from DWT could have been used as well to promote it. 

I am totally okay with "Gone" not being a single. It belongs to the "sacred closing songs" group along with "Easy Ride", "Mer Girl", "Secret Garden", "Falling Free" - these are perfect as HIDDEN jewels. 

11 minutes ago, trevorhog said:

So we got Bruce Springsteen, Lil Nas X, and Bastille next week... what’s everyone’s predictions for countries like the US and UK?

Top 7 ...

Not sure if everyone is aware of this so sorry if this is common knowledge but I requested tix and was declined. 😞 However, I got an email a little while later stating that my CD was still going to be sent......so, I guess that's good news in terms of chart performance. Even those of us that did NOT get tix, are still getting the CD.

6 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Not sure if everyone is aware of this so sorry if this is common knowledge but I requested tix and was declined. 😞 However, I got an email a little while later stating that my CD was still going to be sent......so, I guess that's good news in terms of chart performance. Even those of us that did NOT get tix, are still getting the CD.

So you're getting the album for free?

4 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

So you're getting the album for free?

NOOOO!! lol 

I selected the option to get the CD when I requested tix so they charged my credit card......however, I didn't think I'd still get charged for the CD if they declined tix request. 

I mean....I find it just a tinge shady tbqh.....but on the other hand, pretty smart! lol

1 minute ago, Kurt420 said:

NOOOO!! lol 

I selected the option to get the CD when I requested tix so they charged my credit card......however, I didn't think I'd still get charged for the CD if they declined tix request. 

I mean....I find it just a tinge shady tbqh.....but on the other hand, pretty smart! lol

Omg that is terrible! 😂 That's Gaga levels of shady behaviour. 

5 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

NOOOO!! lol 

3 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

That’s not shady at all. I opted NOT to purchase the CD if I didn’t get the tickets. You should’ve opted out. 

Just now, jonski43 said:

Eh....a little bit yeah 🤣

What are ya gonna do though?? lol

At least I'm contributing to it's chart placing 

#silverlinings

2 minutes ago, Mensch said:

That’s not shady at all. I opted NOT to purchase the CD if I didn’t get the tickets. You should’ve opted out. 

It wasn't an option in the UK either way but it sounded like you didn't have a choice but if you did, that's not so bad then. Not so gargamel after all.

6 minutes ago, Mensch said:

I think I kinda rushed through that part of it apparently! lol

It's all good though! If I end up with some copies I don't need, I can just sell 'em on Discogs or something I guess. 

A little bitter about not getting the tix though...not gonna lie! lol

4 minutes ago, tuckeye said:

lil nas x isnt he the one with the number one song !?!? thats a huge song too.

It was supposed to be released today, but he delayed it to next week unfortunately... hopefully another delay!!😂