MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jazzy Jan

Songs about countries and cities

After reminiscing with @Martin B.  in another thread about about how  I was so enthralled with New York after I watched Can't stop the Music as a child - and all through a song " The sound of the city"   Have to love American music too because so many of their songs are about cities, states etc.  Makes it all so fascinating.   Let's all share song about either countries, cities or famous places that made us kind of love that place even though we have never visited there.  

So here are some songs all about New York.   Firstly, the one that started my fascination as a little child and made me then think that New York was " the city of cities"  where everywhere roller skates around so joyfully,   the opening song of " Can't stop the Music "  

What a song !   Theme from New York New York by Frank Sinatra. Was my father's all time favourite song .  Again, makes New York sound so incredibly exciting in every way 

This song Pop Muzik featured the names of four cities and everyone went around singing "  New York, London, Paris Munich"  everyone talk about Pop muzik ! 

London Calling 

This went to Number 1 in Australia because it was used as the theme song for the coverage of the Moscow Olympics.  Made Moscow sound so exciting too ! 

@runa @spotlight  You knew this was coming ! 

Whoever's in New England by Reba.   Also keeping with songs about New England - Barry Manilow had Weekend in New England.   If I make it to the USA,  definitely going to New England ! 

O'h Vienna - everyone was singing this too.   So dramatic - love it

This was always one of my favourite Abba songs - Our last Summer.   All about remembering a romance spent in Paris.  

Another song I remember so much because my parents loved it so much.   Galveston by Clen Campbell.  Probably my favourite country and western song of all time.  Just so sad and beautiful.  

Haunting, unusual and beautiful song about Australia -  Great Southern Land 

@Jazzy Jan that 80's Reba you posted got me thinking about other 80's country songs.....so many had cities in the lyrics or titles. This is one that came to mind I remember hearing as a kid:

It mentions, great Smoky Mountains of course but also other cities in TN like Knoxville, Gatlinburg.....also mentions LA. Of course whenever I think about TN and Smoky Mountains, immediately the impeccable Dolly Parton comes to mind:

Not really a fan of the song but this came to mind 

This one is instrumental but it totally gives me the feeling of a glam night in NYC in the 70's

You can almost smell the poppers listening to this one.....gay, San Fran in the 70's!

25 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

@Jazzy Jan that 80's Reba you posted got me thinking about other 80's country songs.....so many had cities in the lyrics or titles. This is one that came to mind I remember hearing as a kid:

It mentions, great Smoky Mountains of course but also other cities in TN like Knoxville, Gatlinburg.....also mentions LA. Of course whenever I think about TN and Smoky Mountains, immediately the impeccable Dolly Parton comes to mind:

I grew up near smoky mountains, gatlinburg and Knoxville. I’m not far from them now. 

Have always loved this song by Elvis:

1 minute ago, ctg12 said:

I grew up near smoky mountains, gatlinburg and Knoxville. I’m not far from them now. 

Oh, nice! It's so beautiful there. My father was from TN, a smaller town outside of Knoxville, so I would visit the area frequently as a child. Lots of fond memories of Christmases, Easters and Summers in TN. I still have family there that I haven't seen in yrs so I really need to make my way down there again. Oddly enough, never did visit Dollywood as a kid so that's definitely on my list.

4 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Oh, nice! It's so beautiful there. My father was from TN, a smaller town outside of Knoxville, so I would visit the area frequently as a child. Lots of fond memories of Christmases, Easters and Summers in TN. I still have family there that I haven't seen in yrs so I really need to make my way down there again. Oddly enough, never did visit Dollywood as a kid so that's definitely on my list.

Same. I’ve never been to Dollywood, either, although my Mom is wanting us all to go soon. And, yes, very beautiful places. 😊

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Have always loved this song by Elvis:

Kentucky Rain is my all time favourite Elvis song.  Absolutely adore this song so much and it shows exactly why Elvis was such an incredible singer and so loved.. He had so much depth, range and feeling in his voice. 

2 hours ago, ctg12 said:

Always looks so beautiful. 

5 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Always looks so beautiful. 

It really is, and serene as well. 😊

5 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Oh, I just read what Jazzy wrote properly. And I missed the point of the thread. :lol:

Anyway. 

Loved the songs you posted !  Fits in the thread well.   :thumbsup:

Remember this song too - Dancing in Berlin 

In tribute to Montreal, a city I ❤️

I love this song from Suzanne Vega

And this song by Eddi Reader sums up the feelings of a romantic and maybe short sexual scapade in a foreign city during holidays...

Oh an Eddi has a beautiful song to pay homage to her birth town, Glasgow