Birmingham school stops LGBT lessons after muslim parents protest

another LGBTQ issue conveniently brushed under the carpet by members of this forums due to constant political correctness and hypocrisy, congrats guys!

4896.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

A primary school that taught pupils about homosexuality as part of a programme to challenge homophobia has stopped the lessons after hundreds of children were withdrawn by parents in protest.

Parkfield community school in Saltley, Birmingham, has been the scene of weekly protests over the lessons, which parents claim are promoting gay and transgender lifestyles.

In a letter to parents, the school said: “Up to the end of this term, we will not be delivering any No Outsiders lessons in our long-term year curriculum plan, as this half term has already been blocked for religious education (RE). Equality assemblies will continue as normal and our welcoming No Outsiders ethos will be there for all.”

On Friday about 600 Muslim children, aged between four and 11, were withdrawn from the school for the day, parents said. The school would not confirm the number.

The school made clear that it had never intended to continue the No Outsiders lessons this half term and confirmed that the lessons would resume only after a full consultation with every parent.

Last month, the Guardian reported that the assistant headteacher of the school was forced to defend the lessons after 400 predominantly Muslim parents signed a petition calling for them to be dropped from the curriculum.

Andrew Moffat, who was awarded an MBE for his work in equality education, said he was threatened and targeted via a leaflet campaign after the school piloted the No Outsiders programme. Its ethos is to promote LGBT equality and challenge homophobia in primary schools.

Moffat, the author of Challenging Homophobia in Primary Schools who is currently shortlisted for a world’s best teacher award, resigned from another primary school – Chilwell Croft academy, also in Birmingham – after a similar dispute with Muslim and Christian parents.

Parents have been protesting outside the Saltley school, which is rated as outstanding by Ofsted. At one protest they held signs that read “say no to promoting of homosexuality and LGBT ways of life to our children”, “stop exploiting children’s innocence”, and “education not indoctrination”.

Children from reception age through to year six were being taught five No Outsiders lessons a year, each one covering topics to meet requirements in the Equality Act. Books being read by the pupils include Mommy, Mama and Me, and King & King – stories about same-sex relationships and marriages.

However, after the inclusion of the programme in the curriculum, Moffat, who is in a civil partnership, faced protests and the removal of children from the school.

The school appealed to parents to stop the protests, saying they were “upsetting and disruptive” for the children.

In a letter to the parents, the trustee board of Excelsior Multi Academy Trust, which runs the school, confirmed that after a meeting between Andrew Warren, the regional schools commissioner for the West Midlands, parents, the trust, and Liam Byrne MP, it was decided that a full consultation would take place with parents.

The letter said: “The discussions were a helpful first step and identified the key issues that are concerning parents, including the ethos, the books, the age appropriateness, the lessons and the assemblies. The agreed outcome of the meeting was the need to have a discussion with the school community about the No Outsiders curriculum and how it should be delivered.”

The issue was first raised by Fatima Shah, who pulled her 10-year-old daughter out of the school, saying children were too young to be learning about same-sex marriages and LGBT rights in the classroom.

“We are not a bunch of homophobic mothers,” she said. “We just feel that some of these lessons are inappropriate. Some of the themes being discussed are very adult and complex and the children are getting confused.

“They need to be allowed to be children rather than having to constantly think about equalities and rights.”

Shabana Mahmood, the MP for Birmingham Ladywood, spoke out after parents in her constituency complained that primary schools were teaching their children about same-sex relationships.

She said parents did not oppose sex and relationship education, but felt their children were too young for some of the things being taught.

Speaking in a Commons debate, Mahmood said: “None of my constituents is seeking particular or differential opt-outs at secondary school level. It is all about the age appropriateness of conversations with young children in the context of religious backgrounds.”

Mahmood, who has backed gay rights legislation in the Commons including voting for same-sex marriage, said the government should ensure the rights of minorities were protected, but that included the rights of people with orthodox religious views, including some Jews and Christians as well as some Muslims.

However, the chief inspector of Ofsted, Amanda Spielman, supported the school, saying it was vital children knew about “families that have two mummies or two daddies”.

Byrne, whose constituency includes the school, has suggested parents, faith leaders in the Muslim community and the LGBT rights group Stonewall could work together on a curriculum.

The schools minister Nick Gibb said it was important for schools to take the religious beliefs of their pupils into account when they decide to deliver certain content to ensure topics were handled appropriately.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/04/birmingham-school-stops-lgbt-lessons-after-parent-protests

6 hours ago, TearsInHeaven said:

another LGBTQ issue conveniently brushed under the carpet by members of this forums due to constant political correctness and hypocrisy, congrats guys!

You know you can simply post these things without your paranoid personal attacks right? Wtf is going on with you? You come out of nowhere ranting with some BIZARRO Islam Christianity conspiracy theory about the forum and you have been harboring a lot of resentment towards forum members. Hopefully your suspension will help you see the light.

This segment of society are usually very traditional and conservative, so this wasn't surprising at all. Future generations will hopefully be more open unless they reject modernity ad secularism.

Just don't like the idea of forcing diversity lessons that include tolerating religions but excluding sexual minorities that are statistically very small. 

I have to undergo annoying and bureaucratic diversity training in my field, so I would be very pissed if they excluded sexual minorities over religious beliefs.

17 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

While not surprising, I have to say I have a special dislike for discriminators that are very much discriminated against themselves. 

Totally agree with you Kurt. Just like I feel there's nothing worst than a racist homosexual or a black homophobe. This is something I will never understand.

on the news before this and one muslim was saying it could cause riots etc and how bad it was and the in another story right after we had a muslim talking about how we should be more tolorent of muslims lol practice what you preach springs to mind 

8 hours ago, trickyricky said:

on the news before this and one muslim was saying it could cause riots etc and how bad it was and the in another story right after we had a muslim talking about how we should be more tolorent of muslims lol practice what you preach springs to mind 

Well, a Muslim mother was interviewed in that school and she was happy about the LGTB info. 

9 hours ago, trickyricky said:

Exactly. Some of the muslims dont wanna gasp the idea that tolerance is two way street. On that note: when will Saudi Arabia allow practicing other faiths on its territory? Ancient churches have been uncovered there and this is still underreported.

• 3 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 7:49 AM, I Don’t Search I Find said:

What a medieval ashole. If it was up to him, gays would have been thrown out of tall buildings. I wonder why such a man chose to live in the West. If he so dislikes sodomites or tolerance towards them Saudi Arabia or Iran could be a much better environment for him.

Very sad, although not really surprising news, coming from certain people who unfortunately deeply despise homosexuality.

Here's a thought: schools across the world should make watching for example The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert part of their civic education curriculum. The kid in the movie is the most tolerant and free-spirited individual out of all the characters - why? Because he was not brought up to see homosexuality as an issue, great message there.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:49 PM, I Don’t Search I Find said:

How dare he demand that public schools not teach tolerance and love for gay people.  Bigotry against gay people is unacceptable in today's world and never should be allowed to thrive. Bigotry of any kind should not be seen as acceptable or a choice.  Human rights and equality is the loving way to be - and all religions should want to promote and champion a loving and peaceful way of life. . . 

On 3/29/2019 at 1:45 PM, Kurt420 said:

While not surprising, I have to say I have a special dislike for discriminators that are very much discriminated against themselves. 

Humans human. Nobody is above doing harm to someone who also possesses a marginalization.

• 4 months later...

Watch the video on this one. Wow. -

Protesters claim 'white bias' after court bans parents from opposing LGBT lessons outside Birmingham school

https://news.yahoo.com/court-bans-parents-lgbt-lesson-protests-131151533.html

'Our religion says it's wrong. Our holy book says it's wrong. We say it's wrong....... But we're not homophobic.'

536644_600.gif

Those protesters are harming Muslim population so much. Watching those videos you can understand why some people distrust and refuse that community. Truth is that many parents who support the school are Muslim too. 

But the level of ABSURDITY from those protesting is appalling. 

On 7/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

How dare he demand that public schools not teach tolerance and love for gay people.  Bigotry against gay people is unacceptable in today's world and never should be allowed to thrive. Bigotry of any kind should not be seen as acceptable or a choice.  Human rights and equality is the loving way to be - and all religions should want to promote and champion a loving and peaceful way of life. . . 

The good thing is there are also many gay friendly churches and muslims out there

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2019 at 1:24 PM, karbatal said:

Those protesters are harming Muslim population so much. Watching those videos you can understand why some people distrust and refuse that community. Truth is that many parents who support the school are Muslim too. 

But the level of ABSURDITY from those protesting is appalling. 

I agree these few parents protesting don’t represent the Muslim community anymore than I do. They shame the whole faith. 

I would of thought the UKs Equality Act Law would of prevented these protestors stopping it I thought it was the law now for same sex love/commitment to be taught in UK schools.