Vegan influencer caught eating fish shocked her fans are outraged

Camacho

Vegan influencer caught eating fish shocked her fans are outraged: 'I never expected this reaction'

Kerry Justich

Yahoo Lifestyle, March 22, 2019, 6:04 PM EDT

cfe00403783578410418a8b0615d165e

Yovana Ayres preaches about eating plant-based, but was recently caught eating fish. (Photo: Instagram/YouTube)

A vegan YouTuber and Instagram influencer who has nearly 3 million combined social media followers is being condemned by her foodie fans for faking her lifestyle and making money off of it after she was caught eating fish.

Yovana Mendoza Ayres, 29, is known for her lifestyle brand called Rawvana, which promotes plant-based living through a vegan diet (which means not ingesting any animal-sourced products, whether meat or dairy or eggs) and skincare routines. She even sells meal plans and weight loss programs, including a 21-day raw challenge, that sell for up to $99. But after she made an appearance in a friend’s YouTube video eating a plate of fish and trying to hide it, the platform that she’s created is falling apart.

According to Ayres’ Instagram, the destination of the trip that she was on while the video was taken was “a plant based paradise.” However, the fish fiasco that ended up taking place in Bali seemed to tell a different story. Soon after the video was posted and fans started calling her out, Ayres took to her own YouTube channels — one in Spanish and one in English — to post a 33-minute video titled, “This is what is happening.”

Throughout the video, she discussed her history of raw and vegan eating over the past six years, which came with some missteps and a number of other trial diets — including a 25-day fast in 2014. Ultimately, she shared that in 2017 it seemed that the way that she was eating, and namely the things that she wasn’t eating, was impacting her health to the point where she was nearly anemic, and even stopped ovulating.

“I wasn’t ovulating,” she said in the video. “I was basically anemic and my thyroid levels were low. It was really bad, but it was borderline.”

Through trial and error with different doctors and patterns of eating, Ayres said that her body felt like it was back to normal, and her ovulation and menstruation returned. But when she came down with a yeast infection in 2018, she struggled to find a way to heal her body yet again, and turned to fasting to do so. Fast forward to January 2019, when she was diagnosed with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), which can cause malnourishment.

“By this whole time I was starting to feel desperate for my health and to find a solution around the summer time and that’s when I started to open up to the possibility of adding some animal product into my diet,” Ayres explain in the video. “It was really hard because for so long I saw this food, this animal food, as something that is basically toxic for my body, something that I don’t need, that my body doesn’t need. And to see it as something that could heal me was really hard for me — it still is hard for me to accept and admit.”

So hard to admit, in fact, that she not only kept her intake of fish and eggs a secret from her vegan followers, she also continued to make money off of them while promoting a plant-based lifestyle throughout the three months that she had already stopped living it.

Still, she doesn’t see it that way.

“I kept it from my followers because I was still not ready to speak about it and I was still on my trial period for this diet. After being plant-based for a little over 6 years, it was a difficult decision for me to make and an even more difficult decision for me to communicate with everyone,” Ayres tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “I have received so much hate on the video where I explain my reasons, and not only in that video but on every social media platform. I understand why the vegan community feels that way but I never expected this reaction from a community I considered my family all these years.”

Responses from Ayres’s former fans and followers have ranged from those expressing anger toward the influencer to those who feel hurt by her lack of transparency.

Regardless of the decrease in subscribers that her YouTube channels have already seen, Ayres seems to not be discouraged about the future of her business.

“Right now I have no plans for my platform,” she explains to Yahoo Lifestyle, “but I would love to continue growing and sharing my healing process to help other people along the way.”

The implosion of any influencer career is always a great enjoyment. These useless parasites that are unmasked and destroyed by the same social media that created them from scratch are the best justice possible. We have one of these local influencers who experienced a similar social media lynching last week after humiliating a poor taxi driver who was just doing his job.

Guest CzarnaWisnia
33 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

The implosion of any influencer career is always a great enjoyment. These useless parasites that are unmasked and destroyed by the same social media that created them from scratch are the best justice possible. We have one of these local influencers who experienced a similar social media lynching last week after humiliating a poor taxi driver who was just doing his job.

YES. This is what I take from this. One of them where I live was recently caught in a little scandal like this: he had taken a taxi but didn't have his wallet, he only had gift certificates and wanted to pay the 8$ ride with them, but the driver obviously didn't want that, and refused to let the man leave the cab, saying he would call the cops. So the influencer filmed the whole thing as if he was a poor victim and put it on IG, thinking the public would take his side. No. Everyone made fun of him for being an elitist asshole.

5 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

YES. This is what I take from this. One of them where I live was recently caught in a little scandal like this: he had taken a taxi but didn't have his wallet, he only had gift certificates and wanted to pay the 8$ ride with them, but the driver obviously didn't want that, and refused to let the man leave the cab, saying he would call the cops. So the influencer filmed the whole thing as if he was a poor victim and put it on IG, thinking the public would take his side. No. Everyone made fun of him for being an elitist asshole.

This is a lie.

The guy had a prepaid Visa card and he tried to pay with it, but the terminal in the taxi refused it - just like some of them refuse pay pass. He didn't try to pay with a "Gift certificate" like you say.
I don't try to excuse the behavior of this guy (He totally acted like a jerk with the taxi driver and lord knows how I hate these "influencers") but you totally twist what happened. 

For someone claiming here and there that you're so perfect and always looking for the truth, this is quite surprising. It might serves your own rhetoric but it also proves how patronizing you are.

7 hours ago, Martin B. said:

they literally contribute nothing to society :lmao: 

"Influencers" are basically commercial models. That's it.

Fairly attractive people, with enough popularity (aka 'followers'), to be able to sell products from corporate brands through social media/youtube/blog posts - all through selling a "lifestyle" image that their followers can live vicariously through.

That's it. Basically the cheap knock-off version of an actor/model.

(Not surprising that most of the big "influencers" are the girlfriends/wives/children of people already rich and famous...or the stay at home wives of men with high income jobs.)

On 26 March 2019 at 11:02 AM, VogueMusic said:

Fairly attractive people, with enough popularity (aka 'followers'), to be able to sell products from corporate brands through social media/youtube/blog posts - all through selling a "lifestyle" image that their followers can live vicariously through.

(Not surprising that most of the big "influencers" are the girlfriends/wives/children of people already rich and famous...or the stay at home wives of men with high income jobs.)

Yes !  Aunt Becky's daughter Olivia Jade ! 

On 3/25/2019 at 6:33 AM, Martin B. said:

:clap:

18 hours ago, Rock said:

Social media and social influencers are two of the worst things ever.

YES!!!!

They think so highly of themselves just because they have many followers and demand to be treated differently e.g. have free accommodation...  Can't remember that bitch name 'cos she demanded the hotel to give her free accommodation 'cos she's a "social influencers" but the hotel just shut her out. She bad-mouthed about the hotel and deleted all unfavourable comments. Do all these "negative" comments affect the hotel much? Not at all :rolleyes:

And also, some demand free food and if they didn't get what they want, they will write something bad about the restaurant blah blah blah.

They spend their entire time posting on internet.

They will not work and hope to get funded whenever they need money.

They contribute NOTHING to the society.

These ppl are leeches of the society.

They fail to realize when there's a crisis, no one would care about them.

Guest Marco
On 3/26/2019 at 12:02 AM, VogueMusic said:

YouTubers like Lauren Southern or Steven Crowder that managed to build a large platform of far-right followers who want their absurd conspiracy theories and bigotry validated are also another clear example of how much of a waste of oxygen these “influencers” are.

Let’s not forget bored gold digging housewives who develop mommy blogs or sell lifestyle products that are damaging to women’s bodies.

It infuriates me that these people keep on multiplying like lice.

2 hours ago, horn said:

YES!!!!

They think so highly of themselves just because they have many followers and demand to be treated differently e.g. have free accommodation...  Can't remember that bitch name 'cos she demanded the hotel to give her free accommodation 'cos she's a "social influencers" but the hotel just shut her out. She bad-mouthed about the hotel and deleted all unfavourable comments. Do all these "negative" comments affect the hotel much? Not at all :rolleyes:

And also, some demand free food and if they didn't get what they want, they will write something bad about the restaurant blah blah blah.

They spend their entire time posting on internet.

They will not work and hope to get funded whenever they need money.

They contribute NOTHING to the society.

These ppl are leeches of the society.

They fail to realize when there's a crisis, no one would care about them.

Yes, I remember that story. I was so proud of the manager for saying no and holding his position that I would have given him a award for the service he had just rendered to humanity. These privileged parasites must stop be treated by all as if they were important. An influencer disappears 48 hours and is already forgotten and replaced by another.

Like many things born with the social media, influencers exist only because the companies think they will recover with them the sale of products that have disappeared as a result of the decline of traditional advertising mediums.The problem is that these companies completely overestimate the real influence of influencers who do not exceed some of the sheeps who follow them.

1 hour ago, Marco said:

YouTubers like Lauren Southern or Steven Crowder that managed to build a large platform of far-right followers who want their absurd conspiracy theories and bigotry validated are also another clear example of how much of a waste of oxygen these “influencers” are.

Let’s not forget bored gold digging housewives who develop mommy blogs or sell lifestyle products that are damaging to women’s bodies.

It infuriates me that these people keep on multiplying like lice.

Agree. They are not experts on anything either.  

So often " Mummy bloggers" who have huge followers are wealthy, pampered trophy wives who discuss such important issues as what party decorations people should use for a one year old child's birthday party ! 

https://people.com/travel/resort-slams-instagram-influencers-seeking-free-stays-try-to-actually-work/

The White Banana Beach Club Siargao was not fond of influencers' requests to stay for free in exchange for social media coverage

By  
April 02, 2019 01:36 PM

A resort in the Philippines has drawn both criticism and praise for its biting message urging Instagram influencers seeking comped rooms in exchange for social media posts to “actually work.”

The White Banana Beach Club on the island of Siargao’s message went viral late last month after it shared a post to Facebook making it clear that influencers who requested free accommodation in exchange for coverage were not welcome.

“We are receiving many messages regarding collaborations with influencers, Instagram influencers,” someone from the resort wrote. “We kindly would like to announce that White Banana is not interested to ‘collaborate’ with self-proclaimed ‘influencers’. And we would like to suggest to try another way to eat, drink, or sleep for free. Or try to actually work.”

The post garnered more than 11,000 likes, and many comments of support, like one user who wrote that influencers were simply freeloaders.

“If they are need of ‘influencers,’ I’m sure the resort will reach out. Until then, if you’re asking for free stuff that usually costs regular hardworking folk a pretty penny in exchange for ~~clout~~ on their artificially curated IG feed, that’s freeloading – plain and simple,” one Facebook commenter wrote.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.fil
Getty

Others, however, defended the influencers’ hustle and wrote that the resort’s decision to call them out so publicly was unnecessary.

“I am not against this post or anyone, but I wish we don’t call people names,” wrote one user who claimed to be a model who blogged on the side. “If they are an aspiring influencer, I hope we don’t kill their dreams and discourage them because of your words. Instead, let this serve as a lesson for them. And if you could, enlighten them on how to do this right.”