Clothing giant H&M planning to close 160 stores in 2019

horn

Clothing giant H&M planning to close 160 stores in 2019

The company has not yet announced the store locations that will close, but cited plans to optimize its retail business. The company said the United States and Norway are both challenging markets, while China, India and Russia are among the countries that H&M saw both online and physical store growth, according to a company statement.

H&M does plan to open 335 new stores this year, but a majority of the openings are planned in markets outside Europe and the United States, the company said.

The news comes after H&M reported a net sales increase of 5 percent, lower than Wall Street expectations. Several other chains like Gymboree, GAP, Francesca’s and other mall-type retailers have also announced plans to shutter stores this year.

Nearly every local shopping center in the Dayton, Ohio,area has an H&M store, including the Mall at Fairfield Commons, Dayton Mall, Tanger Outlets in Jeffersonville, Liberty Center, Kenwood Towne Center, Tuttle Crossing, Eastgate Mall, Polaris Fashion Place and Easton Town Center.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/clothing-giant-planning-close-160-stores-2019/fQcB6nnT7dGjLnmtp1iMYP/

This is an absolute disaster. I watched some news these past weeks about the demise of the High Street shops in the UK due to Internet, on-line Black Fridays... Malls cannot replace high streets, just the same that internet retails cannot replace malls. 

[insert Madonna's voice in 'Cry Baby] And I'll tell you something else! [close Madonna's voice]  

... we all feel so free deciding new ways to consume. We hire uber, we call those cheap food delivery firms, we buy online... And we are diggin our own grave. The more we support a model that destroys jobs and in the end destroys our cities, the worse we will live. I know our fellows US citizens live like a hundred miles from a shop, but we Europeans can normally access a real shop if we only take 15 minutes to go. We can then have a coffee with friends or have a walk in the book shop to look at shelves... Instead of being in Amazon all day getting lazy and sad. 

38 minutes ago, karbatal said:

This is an absolute disaster. I watched some news these past weeks about the demise of the High Street shops in the UK due to Internet, on-line Black Fridays... Malls cannot replace high streets, just the same that internet retails cannot replace malls. 

[insert Madonna's voice in 'Cry Baby] And I'll tell you something else! [close Madonna's voice]  

... we all feel so free deciding new ways to consume. We hire uber, we call those cheap food delivery firms, we buy online... And we are diggin our own grave. The more we support a model that destroys jobs and in the end destroys our cities, the worse we will live. I know our fellows US citizens live like a hundred miles from a shop, but we Europeans can normally access a real shop if we only take 15 minutes to go. We can then have a coffee with friends or have a walk in the book shop to look at shelves... Instead of being in Amazon all day getting lazy and sad. 

More like 5 :). And I agree with all that you have said!

On 3/4/2019 at 4:57 PM, karbatal said:

:thumbsup: 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:57 PM, karbatal said:

I was reading this without knowing who wrote it!!! I support all your words in here!