M14. Music video being shot.

Madonna has always had something to say about pop culture and society at large. Whether it was overtly political (American Life) or an underlying message disguised as a banger (Vogue). 

So this idea that she needs to stay away from “politics” is like wishing she would stay away from talking about sexuality. 

We need her voice now more than we ever have. And given the nationalistic and xenophobic wave that has crashed upon the most of the Western Hemisphere, I’m interested to hear what she has to say  

The fact that she’s putting drag queens in a music video to make a statement is beyond exciting and rather poignant. No one in pop music history has made bigger cultural statements than Madonna. Period. 

1 hour ago, Sjewell88 said:

I’m totally confused and perplexed by anyone who bemoans “politicaldonna”.  I mean yeah she’s written some fantastic escapist anthems (Holiday, ITG, Hung Up) but she’s literally built her entire career on politics, provocation and challenging societal norms. LAP, LAV Vogue, PDP, EY, JML, Erotica, AL all were designed to drive a conversation and challenge our assumptions about sex, gender, homosexuality, abortion, personal freedom etc.  So when people say “ I’m bored with her politics” I’m like “ what have you been listening to the last 35 years?”  Bring it on M!  We need to wake up!  Especially with the state of the world the way it is today. 

Amen x 1,000,000!

Is this the first time Madonna has worked professionally with a drag queen ? 

I can’t recall any Madonna video with a drag queen in it ?? Surly not .....??

7 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Not a video but by memory it was at the 1999 MTV awards where they were all dressed like her and she perfectly said " it takes a real man to fill my shoes"

49 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Madonna has always had something to say about pop culture and society at large. Whether it was overtly political (American Life) or an underlying message disguised as a banger (Vogue). 

So this idea that she needs to stay away from “politics” is like wishing she would stay away from talking about sexuality. 

We need her voice now more than we ever have. And given the nationalistic and xenophobic wave that has crashed upon the most of the Western Hemisphere, I’m interested to hear what she has to say  

The fact that she’s putting drag queens in a music video to make a statement is beyond exciting and rather poignant. No one in pop music history has made bigger cultural statements than Madonna. Period. 

Very good post. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I have never had problems with M using political messages in her art. 

Having said that - I don't even consider American Life to be a political album, except for the title track and maybe Hollywood. There's some more between the lines of course, but I've never felt it was an overtly political album where M put the message above the music. She's always able to fuse the two IMO.

5 minutes ago, peppermint said:

Not a video but by memory it was at the 1999 MTV awards where they were all dressed like her and she perfectly said " it takes a real man to fill my shoes"

Isn’t there a drag queen in secret?

13 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

You said it better than me. 😁

52 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Actually in the videos Deeper and Deeper and Secret there are drag Queens but they have a rather simple appearance. I am completely in love with the idea of having drag Queens in her new video.

4 hours ago, Foolio said:

To say I'm excited about this new era is a criminal understatement, but one thing I don't understand. Why were some drag queens hired to perform in the video the day before the shooting started? Judging by everything else we know, M has put a lot of thought and careful planning into this project - was there some sort of a last-minute U-turn in the concept of the video or something? 

I would assume it was to keep things under wraps as much as possible. Had it not been for Haters Roast drama, we wouldn’t have known this much about the video. 

12 minutes ago, Douglaslisboa said:

maybe “Keep god first” is God Control chorus? Mudabeatz produced some amazing tracks...

Or maybe she's just thanking God. 😅

1 hour ago, Confessit said:

I love when Madonna does drag king x1000.  Way before other pop stars.  Nobody bends gender like M.  Meisel....Madonna

1 hour ago, Confessit said:

Deeper & Deeper says hi 

1 hour ago, Samo said:

People are COMPLETELY OVER priviledged, rich entertainers schooling them on politics, we like entertainers to ESCAPE from.political BS

Also Madonna will get most of the backlash and hate from the extreme far left SJW crowd, they're just as bad as the far right radicals, either way Madonna loses

rich entertainers pay a hell of a lot more in taxes than the average joe who feels their opinion outways a rich entertainer's. I feel its best for Madonna to stay out of politics because it is so volatile right now but the also the era of us fans giving a shit about what people say about her is over. COMPLETELY OVER. 

2 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

👍

3 hours ago, Sjewell88 said:

I’m totally confused and perplexed by anyone who bemoans “politicaldonna”.  I mean yeah she’s written some fantastic escapist anthems (Holiday, ITG, Hung Up) but she’s literally built her entire career on politics, provocation and challenging societal norms. LAP, LAV Vogue, PDP, EY, JML, Erotica, AL all were designed to drive a conversation and challenge our assumptions about sex, gender, homosexuality, abortion, personal freedom etc.  So when people say “ I’m bored with her politics” I’m like “ what have you been listening to the last 35 years?”  Bring it on M!  We need to wake up!  Especially with the state of the world the way it is today. 

well said 👏🏾 

I had to catch (wake)up and someone already said what I was thinking while reading the last few pages. Madonna has always been political. Like a Virgin was even political. Could a woman be smart, witty, tongue in cheek and sexy without just being a bitch? She was crossing lines left and right.

The Like A Prayer video was one of the biggest political statements in video form ever and still is!  From Material Girl to Papa Dont Preach, Like A Prayer album (personal and religious politics), to Erotica, Drowned World, American Life....there is a common thread in each Madonna album: The coexistence of sex and religion in the face of the varying political climates. 

That is her entire career. I am THRILLED to see her get back to the core of her artistry and to do so with what feels like a new fire in her stomach. This time she feels READY!

WAKE UP and let her play her music. 

1 hour ago, Samo said:

People are COMPLETELY OVER priviledged, rich entertainers schooling them on politics, we like entertainers to ESCAPE from.political BS

Also Madonna will get most of the backlash and hate from the extreme far left SJW crowd, they're just as bad as the far right radicals, either way Madonna loses

Id rather her not go down that road but if she does, I hope it's one for tolerance and peace for everyone. Feel like you do but we don't need to force, disown, hate and fight about it because now days people on all sides are suffering, being hurt and/or are being abused on it in some way. Rather...find a peaceful solution and meet half way. That's where real freedom lies imo. 

Not sure if this is related to the new album/single/video, but today I noticed that Madonna's ASCAP Repertory as a Performer have a need add (it probably was added today or yesterday, as lately I look at its info every two days or so). The search results went from 281 songs to 282. The new add is Britney's 2009 hit "3". Madonna now appears as someone who did perform that song. But, as far as I can remember, Madonna never sang it anywhere, and even if she had why would it be added to the list only now? Maybe Madonna sing a sample of if in the new video and so the reason for the credits?

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/performer/MADONNA (third page)

1.png

1 hour ago, Samo said:

Oh go watch Fox News GTFO