2020 U.S. Election

Camacho

On 9/24/2020 at 1:35 AM, Bitch I'm Christian said:

"Taking the high road" has become the problem for left wing governments and oppositions all around the world. So frustrating to watch dirty-fighting, lying rightwing politicians square face off against the left's polite, rulebook-clasping, eggheads. 

Exactly. The left wants to hold hands and sing songs. You can't do that when dealing with the type of people on the right. The dems need to put their foots down! 

The shocking thing was his evasive response to the White Supremacist thing. So if anyone still has doubts:  yes, America has a KKK member/Nazi/Clown in The White House.

And Joe Biden, really?...this is what the other side has to offer after 4 years..sad.

It was horrific, the absolute lowest the bar has ever been for me, and I will never watch another debate with him. I was genuinely exhausted.

nbcnews.com

Debate commission promise changes after chaotic Trump-Biden faceoff

The move comes after many criticized the organizers and the moderator for letting Trump run the show.

Sept. 30, 2020, 1:48 PM EDT / Updated Sept. 30, 2020, 4:05 PM EDT

By Lauren Egan

WASHINGTON — The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Wednesday that it is considering format changes for remaining debates after President Donald Trump repeatedly disregarded the rules, resulting in a chaotic debate that lacked in substantive policy conversation.

"Last night’s debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues," the CPD said in a statement. "The CPD will be carefully considering the changes that it will adopt and will announce those measures shortly."

The CPD works with both candidates ahead of the debates to arrive at an agreed-upon set of rules. Changing the structure of the debates at the last minute is highly unusual and a testament to just how out of control Tuesday night's event was.

The rules specified that the candidates would generally get two uninterrupted minutes to answer most questions, but from the beginning, Trump began interrupting and hectoring Biden during his responses, and the debate quickly deteriorated.

It is unclear exactly what changes the CPD will propose, but a source close to the commission said it was considering the ability to cut off a candidate’s microphone when the rules are violated.

Immediately following Tuesday's debate — which was described by one TV host as "a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck" — critics of the process began to discuss whether it was even worth it for either candidate to participate in future debates. On social media and cable television, there were many suggestions that the only way to have a productive debate would be to cut off the mics of the candidates when they step out of line.

Moments before the commission released its statement, Democratic nominee Joe Biden told reporters at a campaign stop in Ohio that he hoped the future debates would be organized differently.

"Well, you know, he not only attacked me constantly and my family, but he attacked the moderator," Biden said of Trump.

"I just hope there's a way in which the debate commission can control the ability of us to answer the question without interruption. I'm not going to speculate on what happens in the second or third debate."

"They shouldn’t be moving the goalposts and changing the rules in the middle of the game," Tim Murtaugh, the Trump campaign communications director, said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.

Tuesday's moderator, Fox News host Chris Wallace, was criticized by some for struggling to rein in the pandemonium, but the commission acknowledged the difficult task he had been handed.

"The Commission is grateful to Chris Wallace for the professionalism and skill he brought to last night’s debate and intends to ensure that additional tools to maintain order are in place for the remaining debates," they said.

Trump in a tweet on Wednesday afternoon retorted that the debates should try "getting a new Anchor and a smarter Democrat candidate!"

The commission divided the first debate into six 15-minute segments, each touching on a different topic. Wallace began each segment with an opening question and the candidates were given two minutes to answer with the opportunity to then respond to each other.

Trump frequently cut into Biden's two minutes, derailing the debate and causing an incensed Biden to ask the president, "Will you shut up, man?"

As is tradition with the presidential debates, Wallace was not supposed to act as a fact-checker. That proved to be challenging after Trump used the debate platform to spread misinformation about a wide range of topics, including voting and election security.

Members of Trump's family were also criticized for ignoring health rules that required debate attendees to keep a face mask on during the entirety of the event due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Although many of the president's family members entered the debate hall wearing a face mask, Eric, Tiffany, Ivanka, Melania and Donald Trump, Jr. removed their face coverings once inside and sat maskless throughout the 90-minute event.

The Cleveland Clinic, a co-host of the debate and a health advisor to the commission, said it did not know yet whether its recommendations would be adjusted for the remaining debates.

Ahead of the first debate, some Democrats and media watchers warned that the traditional moderating methods might not be sufficient given Trump’s penchant for spreading misinformation.

In an interview with CNN on Sunday, Frank J. Fahrenkopf, Jr., co-chair of the commission, pushed back on the idea that the commission would need to rethink its structure.

"The Commission's function is to put on television before the people of the United States with the two candidates. They will act as they’re going to act. We have no control over that. And it is for [voters] to make judgment based upon what they have seen," Fahrenkopf said.

The CPD is a nonpartisan organization founded in 1987 tasked with running general election presidential and vice presidential debates. Tuesday marked the 31st debate the commission has hosted.

Vice President Mike Pence and Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., will meet next Wednesday for the only vice presidential debate of the election cycle.

The next presidential debate between Trump and Biden is on Oct. 15 in Miami, and it is currently supposed to be a town hall format. They are scheduled to go head to head in the final presidential debate on Oct. 22 in Nashville.

1 hour ago, rebelheart said:

Fancy having to choose between Trump & Biden, no wonder American's don't vote...:madno:

Sadly, it's that mentality that has us in trouble. Joe might not be the ideal candidate (hell, who even was this time around), but if folks can't see the obvious differences between Trump and Biden (no matter how imperfect he may be), and aren't already motivated to vote purely on stopping Trump's blatant insanity, then they are already a part of the problem.

9 hours ago, rebelheart said:

Fancy having to choose between Trump & Biden, no wonder American's don't vote...:madno:

Easy. Either vote for Trump who is an openly racist, sexist compulsive liar who creates deliberate turmoil and promotes hate or instead vote for Biden. 

I still think Trump will win. People assume the democrats mean higher taxes and I think a lot of Americans don't have a problem with his overt racism sadly.

Biden just doesn't come across as a strong enough opponent. 

10 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Sadly, it's that mentality that has us in trouble. Joe might not be the ideal candidate (hell, who even was this time around), but if folks can't see the obvious differences between Trump and Biden (no matter how imperfect he may be), and aren't already motivated to vote purely on stopping Trump's blatant insanity, then they are already a part of the problem.

This. 
I would never understand how there can be undecided voters in this election. The choice is terribly simple: either vote for Trump and allow him to complete the transformation of the United States into an authoritarian regime or vote for the Democrats so that the country remains a democracy (imperfect admittedly but still a democracy).

10 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

23 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

This. 
I would never understand how there can be undecided voters in this election. The choice is terribly simple: either vote for Trump and allow him to complete the transformation of the United States into an authoritarian regime or vote for the Democrats so that the country remains a democracy (imperfect admittedly but still a democracy).

Exactly.  

All this talk about how Biden is en par with trump and that you don’t really have a choice when it comes to voting blah blah blah is textbook voter’s demoralization. If Democrats wish for 2020 to repeat then that’s what they gotta keep on doing or falling into this trap set out by the right or Russia. 

As Jazzy wrote: your choice is between a Nazi in the White House or Joe Biden. That should be the end of the discussion and all of these debates etc are pointless. 

30 minutes ago, Cyber-Raga said:

All this talk about how Biden is en par with trump and that you don’t really have a choice when it comes to voting blah blah blah is textbook voter’s demoralization. If Democrats wish for 2020 to repeat then that’s what they gotta keep on doing or falling into this trap set out by the right or Russia. 

As Jazzy wrote: your choice is between a Nazi in the White House or Joe Biden. That should be the end of the discussion and all of these debates etc are pointless. 

I m all for Biden UNFORTUNATELY I cant vote. My remark was for the fact that Biden seems very uninspirational. Dumb, as evil as he is, seemed determined and easily overpowered the debate. Of course I do not want Dumb to win, but Joe really has to step up his game. Obviouslly the hating, lying, cheating etc. of Dumb has ZERO influence on his popularity among the rednecks.

12 minutes ago, Barbie said:

The left sickens me :lmao:poor Trump. Poor Melanoma. 

How about FUCK them both? 

I'm not clapping for this weak shit. 

If it was the other way around, believe me POS would have Twit immediately as it was proof that Sleepy Joe was too old and weak to be president. The Democrats refuse to admit that they are at war with the establishment of an autocratic regime and that they must strike hard whenever they have a chance. Democrats continue to play politics as if it was 1995. the way POS ridiculed Biden for wearing the mask on Tuesday night, it was an opportunity to kick low this morning.

1 minute ago, Martin B. said:

If it was the other way around, believe me POS would have Twit immediately as it was proof that Sleepy Joe was too old and weak to be president. The Democrats refuse to admit that they are at war with the establishment of an autocratic regime and that they must strike hard whenever they have a chance. After the way POS ridiculed Biden for wearing the mask on Tuesday night, it was an opportunity to kick low this morning.

The statement is OK, BUT they should have added "HOWEVER the contraction is proof how mistaken Trump was for mocking Joe Biden for wearing a mask and for not encouraging enough his supporters and the Americans as a whole to wear a mask".

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

The statement is OK, BUT they should have added "HOWEVER the contraction is proof how mistaken Trump was for mocking Joe Biden for wearing a mask and for not encouraging enough his supporters and the Americans as a whole to wear a mask".

Exactly.

As usual, Pelosi is much more efficient at inserting a punch in her good "wishes".

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/pelosi-offers-prayers-for-trump-before-blasting-behavior-as-brazen-invitation-for-something-like-this-to-happen/

2 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

The time and place to 'get' the opposition is in the next debate.

You really think the next debate is going to be any different than the first? This is Trump we're talking about :rotfl:he will continue to hurl insults at Biden and Biden will continue to bend over for him. It's disgusting. We need someone with balls to stand up to that idiot. 

20 minutes ago, Barbie said:

You really think the next debate is going to be any different than the first? This is Trump we're talking about :rotfl:he will continue to hurl insults at Biden and Biden will continue to bend over for him. It's disgusting. We need someone with balls to stand up to that idiot. 

Look, I'd love some serious claps back on twitter...but I highly doubt that's going to make a significant amount of people show up at the polls. Even these debates are a ratings failure compared to 2016. Trump's reception from the first debate wasn't even good. Most felt the 1st debate, as a whole, was a failure, particularly on the moderator's inability to moderate, and on Trump acting like a maniac. Most voters have probably already made up their minds.

I get the whole 'we need someone with balls', 'stop bringing a knife to a gunfight' criticism. I do. and I've been saying that myself for years. But where is this magically strong, ballsy, perfect candidate everyone's always going on about? I mean, if they were out there, their supporters didn't show up when it mattered (the primaries). This is what it is, and we got who we got. It's a useless gripe at this point.