2020 U.S. Election

Camacho

Hillary was what a majority of us were prior to Election Day in 2016:

Cocky and over confident. 

Because a majority of us couldn’t possibly imagine that a failed businessman and 3rd rate reality televion Star who pandered to the underbelly of American society could ever become president. 

You can’t fault her for that. Anyone going up against Donald Trump would’ve probably been the same way. But Hillary wasn’t exactly anyone. She had perceptions of her baked in. Just as he did. The biggest difference is that HIS supporters were rabidly loyalty and inspired by her. And he had more of them. And they came out in droves. 

Lets remember he only win by about 80,000 votes between two states. Mine (Michigan) being one of them. And let’s also remember ALL three of those states (MI, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania) voted in democratic senators and governors in 2018. These are not red states. They’re very pragmatic, fluid states that bend with the political winds. 

The rust belt was willing to give Trump a chance. Depending on who the Dems put up in 2020, I’m not so sure these states are willing to do so again. Even despite a good economy. 

• 2 weeks later...
Beto O'Rourke confirms he will announce a 2020 presidential bid, TV station says
The Texas Democratic politician has been hinting at a 2020 run in the past few months. O'Rourke told Vanity Fair on Wednesday that he was "born" to run and "I think I'd be good at it." He later confirmed his intention to run with a local Texas TV station, KTSM

So excited he will announce he is running. I fully support him.

Beto, Biden about to run. FINALLY! Two people I could DEF see demolishing Trump. I like Pete too but think it may be too soon. All the others=meh and kind of garbage. Really want a woman for President but am just NOT feeling any of the ones running at all (maybe Harris for VP or AG at the min.). If it wasn't for the new credible info about how dreadful she is/was behind the scenes I think Amy also had somewhat of shot. No more.

If Biden gets the nom. I do NOT want the AOC and other far far left Bernie-esque moaning/groaning and f'king everything up like they did in '16! Biden may not be ideal and is old af but unlike Hillary he is beloved by many and def. knows how to connect w/ people. Long as he doesn't royally fuq up he absolutely is the one who'd win back the Rust Belt and even other random new states. Beyond clear now (esp. after the '18 midterms) the rust bust simply rolled the dice w/ this putz and loathed HRC. ALL the signs were there for many months.I think it was a fluke perfect storm against the Dem that one year. Since the midterms they're easily dark purple/blue w/ the right candidate- long as they somehow stay center left. 

But Beto O'Rourke lost to Ted Cruz. I read it was a close loss, but loss nevertheless and I wonder if he could take down Dump.

• 1 month later...

There are so many people running and I'm just at the point where I will support anyone that can hopefully beat trump. Biden is obviously the most qualified and may have wider appeal in those areas where Hillary lost.

15 hours ago, whyme? said:

I'm in love with Pete buttigieg. I'm going to marry him and become first lady:)

The Beto guy can beat it. 

pete is beyond great! And he is so clever! Gotta love him!

• 1 month later...

Mayor Pete is indeed a charming, intelligent, well spoken, and witty guy. He's adorable. 

I'm just not entirely sure he'd be able to go toe to toe with Trump - if he even comes close to winning the nomination. Obviously he could run circles around in him in policy but that's not what gets anyone elected anymore nationally. 

And this whole Biden as the Trump Slayer is just mind boggling. Don't get me started on that. I see him as a John Kerry/Hillary Clinton type already. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:23 PM, KalamazooJay said:

Mayor Pete is indeed a charming, intelligent, well spoken, and witty guy. He's adorable. 

I'm just not entirely sure he'd be able to go toe to toe with Trump - if he even comes close to winning the nomination. Obviously he could run circles around in him in policy but that's not what gets anyone elected anymore nationally. 

And this whole Biden as the Trump Slayer is just mind boggling. Don't get me started on that. I see him as a John Kerry/Hillary Clinton type already. 

I think Budigeg would run circles around Dumb. But he probably wont win cause 1) USA is not ready for gay president 2) he is too young. Hope I m wrong cause I think Pete could win in a race with Trump. He reminds me of Obama somehow.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CzarnaWisnia

Tulsi Gabbard is amazing! She would win the election! Why aren't the media featuring her more? Gah! I can't believe the DNC would choose Biden or Warren over her. Of course she's anti-war. No war mongering? Not much money to be made that way I guess. Against Saudi Arabia? Get out of here! We need to sell more guns!

Guest CzarnaWisnia
3 hours ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Tulsi gabbard is a fraud.

Why do you say that? From what I can see, she's one of the only truly progressive candidates.

9 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Why do you say that? From what I can see, she's one of the only truly progressive candidates.

I'll just give you a few keywords:

Assad
Voting record in congress
First democrat to try and make nice with Trump
Connections to Hindu nationalists
Poor record on gay rights (and yes her statements and family actions from when she was a young adult can be held against her, especially if we held it against Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Barack Obama)

If you want a real progressive, go with Elizabeth Warren.

Gabbard is a weak general election candidate and I am really suspicious of the very intense Russian bot activity with regards to her.

Guest CzarnaWisnia
23 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I'll just give you a few keywords:

Assad
Voting record in congress
First democrat to try and make nice with Trump
Connections to Hindu nationalists
Poor record on gay rights (and yes her statements and family actions from when she was a young adult can be held against her, especially if we held it against Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Barack Obama)

If you want a real progressive, go with Elizabeth Warren.

Gabbard is a weak general election candidate and I am really suspicious of the very intense Russian bot activity with regards to her.

Thanks. I don't have a horse in this race though, not an American. But from what I can see, she's a realist, and I'm not a conspirationist. I might be naive, but the impression I get is very positive from her. I don't view the Russian intervention as that important (I think intervention in US elections and politics from big money on US soil and interest groups is a far greater threat than any foreign bots on twitter or other type of intervention: media has become crazy with that idea, it's absurd). She's amended her views on gay marriage and said great things about gay people (I don't fault people for changing their views, only fools don't). I don't think she tried to make nice with Trump, she just said he failed to consider the American people first and blamed his administration for fostering a future conflict with Iran, which would be horrible (and she's the only anti-war DNC candidate so far that I can see). As for her voting record in congress, I don't know, but I bet she wouldn't have voted for the war like Clinton or Biden did. But I'll look into these things, thanks for pointing them out. I think Warren would be nice (much better than Biden or Harris), but I don't really like her personally, and I don't think she has crossover appeal. I feel Gabbard would get dozens of thousands of voters wo didn't vote in 2016 to actually go out and vote, and even some soft Republicans would shift and vote for her. I really think she would beat Trump. I feel like centrism is dead in media and US politics, it's all about extremes, and how much hate you can show for the opposing side. But my perception is that most people, ordinary voters, are centrists. There needs to be more understanding.

At least for the foreseeable future, I feel like Trump has completely ruined the possibility of any "centrist" being elected. Whatever Dem gets the nom, they're going to have to go HARD and extreme......just as Trump has done and will do again. It sounds like I'm giving him way too much credit and I don't mean for it to but I'm afraid he's changed the way the game is played forever. Ethics and decency are out the window. It's all about the show and extremism now. Sadly, I think that's the only way a Dem will win next year......a left version of Trump basically.

Guest CzarnaWisnia
15 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

At least for the foreseeable future, I feel like Trump has completely ruined the possibility of any "centrist" being elected. Whatever Dem gets the nom, they're going to have to go HARD and extreme......just as Trump has done and will do again. It sounds like I'm giving him way too much credit and I don't mean for it to but I'm afraid he's changed the way the game is played forever. Ethics and decency are out the window. It's all about the show and extremism now. Sadly, I think that's the only way a Dem will win next year......a left version of Trump basically.

I disagree. I think the fact that he's been so gross gives a candidate the chance to bring something new to the table: reason, respect, balanced positions, etc. If grossness, extremity and tribal thinking are the new norm, it's therefore possible to seem new, refreshing and inviting by simply being against all of that. I'm certain most Americans would favor someone like that and that if the Dems choose someone more extreme, shrill, elitist or tribal, millions won't bother to vote at all. I hope they won't cave in to the donor class, but rather look at what most ordinary citizens wish for and give them that.

9 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

I disagree. I think the fact that he's been so gross gives a candidate the chance to bring something new to the table: reason, respect, balanced positions, etc. If grossness, extremity and tribal thinking are the new norm, it's therefore possible to seem new, refreshing and inviting by simply being against all of that. I'm certain most Americans would favor someone like that and that if the Dems choose someone more extreme, shrill, elitist or tribal, millions won't bother to vote at all. I hope they won't cave in to the donor class, but rather look at what most ordinary citizens wish for and give them that.

I hope you're right actually! I'd love for us to bounce back to some semblance of normalcy in the election process once again. I just have my doubts.  As of now though, reason, respect, balanced positions (ALL things that WERE and SHOULD be a given) seem like old news......currently, seems like the Dems using those virtues in a bid for presidency feels like bringing stones to a gun fight. We'll see though! A year + is a long time in the political world. It's totally possible I'm being way too pessimistic about the situation but looking at the extremism not just in the US, but across the world, I'm not sure if now is the time to play nice. Like I said, I hope I'm way off on this.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CzarnaWisnia

I really like that NBC is doing these townhall gatherings in swing states, people need to talk to each other and hear each other.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Although Marianne Williamson may appear kooky, and she probably has no chance at winning the primaries, I'm really glad she's running. She's one of a kind and is very intelligent.

So...he's totally winning again, right? lol. Even if the economy plummets, major war, videos of him dropping the N word while molesting puppies and children. He ain't losing that 35-40% crusty crazed CULT. I mean WHO the F do the Dems have? Biden has been dreadful and barely coherent. 120 people running...still!! WHY don't they get the fuq out already esp. the ones who could be running for *Senate in their swings states and likely win! Beto is over. Like..forever. Biggest rise/fall and letdown maybe ever. Should've chilled for a year and run for Senate again and prob. would've easily won! Every other week one gets a media induced sugar high then plummets etc...Trump barely needs to say a word. Harris and Warren would get decimated (way worse than Hillary). So...at this point hoping there's someone we haven't seen/heard much from yet that emerges then surges late in the year (like Clinton in '91)?

I think if the economy tanks, Trump's done for. However, with election security clearly not being addressed, who knows? I am not getting my hopes up again for a Democratic win. I can tell you if Trump wins in 2020, it's going to be a complete meltdown on the liberal side. The likes of which we have never seen. The Supreme Court will also be gone for our lifetime (if it isn't already) unless something radical changes and we add more justices or some of the conservative ones leave unexpectedly.

I predict a great social rebellion in the mid 2020's if Trump is rewarded with another term. 🙄

Still find it amazing that so many debates are on "medicare for all"  etc.   So strange to think that the biggest Western country in the world does not have complete universal healthcare.  Has been in other Western countries for decades now and is accepted completely and part of life.  Even the super wealthy are fine with it and all seem to agree it is a human right.  I have watched a lot of interviews on tv shows with Democrats recently and this is such a major issue.  What is there to be afraid of ?  The alternative is worse - people without money and insurance not getting crucial care  It truly boggles my mind.  We had a private health insurance spokesman  in Australia recently speaking out about wanting an American style health care system and people were horrified.