MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
windsor67

The internet has killed the pop song

Talk amongst yourselves, the Partridge family they were not a partridge nor a family

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/07/course-millennials-prefer-parents-music-internet-has-killed/

Is pop music getting worse? As a rock critic in his fifties, I am tempted to respond, “Well, duh.” It almost goes without saying that if you grew up in the swinging Sixties, swaggering Seventies, dazzling Eighties or bombastic Nineties then you prefer golden oldies to the auto-tuned digital beats of today. But it turns out even millennials feel the same.

surprising US study of young adults aged between 18 and 25 found that they were more likely to recognise songs made between 1966 and 1999 than the hits of their own era. But can it really be that a generation who became adults in the 21st Century are fonder of Percy Sledge than Justin Bieber and more likely to hum along to Blondie than Britney Spears?

For people my age it’s tempting to say they don’t make them like they used to. But actually the truth is a little more complicated than that.

No generation has a monopoly on talent, and much modern music is thrilling, amazing and wonderfully original. Whether you enjoy the glistening pop of Ariana Grande, the eccentric hip hop of Kanye West, the audacious rock of The 1975 or the continuing creativity of vintage stars such as Paul McCartney, there is plenty of new material for every possible taste. But that is part of the problem.

Hi-tech recording technology is now accessible to any computer-literate musical wannabe, with the result that we are practically drowning in a sea of new releases – so there’s far more dross to wade through before you discover any gold. And apart from a few world-beating superstars like Adele and  Ed Sheeran, there is very little agreement on what is worth our precious listening time.

There's plenty of amazing new music around, but we no longer have shared spaces to enjoy it together 
With unlimited access to music through phones and PCs, we no longer attach ourselves to songs as we once did Credit: ANWAR AMRO/AFP/Getty Images

In a new era of stream and shuffle, listening habits are dictated by the delivery technology of smartphones and PCs. There are fewer shared spaces where all generations can hear music together. There’s no Top of the Pops for families to fight over. Radio stations cater for ever more specific genres and demographics.

Meanwhile, millennials are glued to their screens, buds lodged in their ears, listening to algorithmically curated playlists built around their own ever-narrowing tastes. They don’t even share their favourite music with each other, let alone annoy their parents with the latest craze. The internet has completely atomised popular music.

Young people, in particular, scroll through playlists the way they do social media sites, getting a short dopamine buzz and moving on to the next hit.

Their attachment to individual songs is tenuous, no longer nurtured by the kind of scarcity that made their parents lovingly obsess over vinyl, tapes or CDs. Back in the days when you could only occasionally afford to add an album or single to your collection, you would listen to the same songs over and over again, until they penetrated deep into your very being.

Which is one reason why millennials may be more familiar with their parents’ music collections than their own. They grew up listening to those songs, too, and they carry with them a reassuring sense of familiarity and community.

They continue to be heard in the last remaining public musical spaces –- on TV talent shows, cinema soundtracks and in shopping malls. Oldies may be the one thing we can all still agree upon. But when millennials remove their ear buds long enough to raise families of their own, what songs are they going to be able to share?

There's good music if you dig around. Everyone is off in their own world now. I don't think it's a bad thing. But the days of megastars are over. 

6 hours ago, windsor67 said:

But when millennials remove their ear buds long enough to raise families of their own, what songs are they going to be able to share?

Or wil they share anything at all? 

Interesting reading @windsor67, thank for sharing. I agree that the world of music is atomized. The few artists or bands who make a slight glimpse of success pale in comparison to the likes of our own M back in the crazy days of the 80s. It's a niche market in a downward spiral to not being a market at all, as there is increasingly less revenue on bringing up a new idol. I mean, what record company in their sane mind would invest in long studio time to curate the right album for any up-and-comer? None.

Bringing the discussion back to M, I can see her in a very comfortable limbo. Hits are gone, but loads of fans still cherish the excitement of a new era, a new batch of songs and the tour/video visuals that come with it. But even these have started to feel a bit lukwarm, in my opinion. And it has to do with this lack of echo the article mentions. There's no buzz, no mtv airing the music video, no random dj saying: omg this is new Madonna! The experience of music has become completely personal. In my case, if it wasn't for this forum I would not talk about her music at all. No one around me in real life particularly likes her, besides a song here and there. 

Also, the article zooms in on nostalgia, something M has been reticent to capitalize on. Many fans here have voiced their interest in a proper creative team that puts up decent box sets, rarities, etc. She could very well entertain us with some stuff in between albums. 

30 minutes ago, Supernatural said:

There's good music if you dig around. Everyone is off in their own world now. I don't think it's a bad thing. But the days of megastars are over. 

I agree, completely. The bolded part sends shivers down my spine for some reason :scared:

I’ve been wanting to verbalize this AND DO constantly over drinks with countless younger friends and try to explain it exactly as this article does. I agree 100000000000000000% 

Pop Music is dead

Not just pop music: the communal experience of anything is dying. It's scary.

True ... Same for me @Mensch, I’ve felt this for a long time and I have tried to articulate it, too ... have talked about it with friends before, too, but probably not quite as exactly.

Agree with everyone’s comments here above, too ... It is so true! People are being more isolated to some extent — shared experiences are more rare. Not just pop music ... also movies and TV, too ... people watch on their own devices, etc. And look at the reaction to the SuperBowl, too. Audiences are so niche — it’s almost impossible to find or plan something that will appeal to all. And I guess that’s why the age of the superstar is fading — why M is the last of that breed of icon.

It is quite sad if you think about it too long...

16 minutes ago, peter said:

True ... Same for me @Mensch, I’ve felt this for a long time and I have tried to articulate it, too ... have talked about it with friends before, too, but probably not quite as exactly.

Agree with everyone’s comments here above, too ... It is so true! People are being more isolated to some extent — shared experiences are more rare. Not just pop music ... also movies and TV, too ... people watch on their own devices, etc. And look at the reaction to the SuperBowl, too. Audiences are so niche — it’s almost impossible to find or plan something that will appeal to all. And I guess that’s why the age of the superstar is fading — why M is the last of that breed of icon.

It is quite sad if you think about it too long...

Yeah and also why I think the interest in M has waned in the last 3 album cycles...what I think of when I hear Queen ...

2 hours ago, MadFan said:

Not just pop music: the communal experience of anything is dying. It's scary.

Sad but true. Everything is now so fragmented that it is impossible to bring people together around anything. Social media had a disastrous cultural, political and democratic impact on our societies.

Definitely an interesting read. I'm always curious about what artists today will be around or even still appreciated in ten to twenty years.

I've said exactly the same thing before. We're seeing a rise in mediocrity. These 'curated' playlists mean the most average, non-offensive tracks become huge as people just let the play on the background of their lives. Drake supposedly has 70+ top forty hits and Nicky Minaj is one of the to females chart stars ever. 

I really hope Spotify ect collapse and people have to go back to buying music.

I don't think there is turning back. To be fair, almost every business is going to the pits because of the internet and after a major reinvention different things will surface. Newspapers, music, cinema, even taxi cabs  have to reinvent themselves. Nowadays television networks are hopelessly watching how their viewers are going by the millions to Netflix. Spotify will not collapse: it will grow.

I think what we are witnessing now is the collapse of those other events and things related to these changing landscape. I explain myself: Billboard, the charts... That's a thing of the past! What's the point? Roma being nominated to the Oscars and some critics appalled at that is another one. Fake news is the result of the failing press system too... 

I’m so glad I had a serious amount of life time before the internet. I feel sorry for my kids though. Sometimes it feels like, compared to my experiences, they going live an Alien life of which I have no idea about. 

15 minutes ago, Lolo said:

I’m so glad I had a serious amount of life time before the internet. I feel sorry for my kids though. Sometimes it feels like, compared to my experiences, they going live an Alien life of which I have no idea about. 

Nowadays Facebook is pretty much dead among most youngins. They can't even be bothered to read anything that consists of paragraphs. Even Facebook is now deemed as too intellectually demanding. Understandably, ACTUAL BOOKS play little to no role in their life because the cool thing now is to be "conscise and cunty" on Twitter and be "glamorous" on Instagram. :zombie:

28 minutes ago, Lolo said:

I always think about it and feel the same (though I have no kids). What I try to do now is to decelarate and spend less time on internet, especially concerning music...but I see my nephews and feel sorry then they only know this cyber world...

5 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Nowadays Facebook is pretty much dead among most youngins. They can't even be bothered to read anything that consists of paragraphs. Even Facebook is now deemed as too intellectually demanding. Understandably, ACTUAL BOOKS play little to no role in their life because the cool thing now is to be "conscise and cunty" on Twitter and be "glamorous" on Instagram. :zombie:

And being offended at anything and everything, reading only the misleading titles of articles and taking things out of context. What happened to common sense?

Are we getting old? Lol 😂 

32 minutes ago, windsor67 said:

Are we getting old? Lol 😂 

Yes.

People live their world. My parents couldn't comprehend why I preferred sometimes to be in the dark in the summer watching a film instead of frolicing in the medows, and they went on and on about how much fun they had playing with stones and a ragged doll and things like that. 

It's part of the game to be baffled by new generations. The world is evolving and sometimes things are worse but sometimes they are better. And I don't agree that youngsters are out of Facebook because they can't read paragraphs. they went out of Facebook the second their parents got there. You dont' want to hang out where your parents are! They are now in Snapchat because most adults don't understand what is all about :lol:

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

Yes.

People live their world. My parents couldn't comprehend why I preferred sometimes to be in the dark in the summer watching a film instead of frolicing in the medows, and they went on and on about how much fun they had playing with stones and a ragged doll and things like that. 

It's part of the game to be baffled by new generations. The world is evolving and sometimes things are worse but sometimes they are better. And I don't agree that youngsters are out of Facebook because they can't read paragraphs. they went out of Facebook the second their parents got there. You dont' want to hang out where your parents are! They are now in Snapchat because most adults don't understand what is all about :lol:

It seems to go much faster than what previous generations faced and we don’t know what to do about it. Internet also killed the stores for example and it is making a lot of people redundant and left out, with less money. Also social media make the world a more manichaestic place where people can erase whomever does not agree with them, I am right you are wrong type of mentality

39 minutes ago, windsor67 said:

It seems to go much faster than what previous generations faced and we don’t know what to do about it. Internet also killed the stores for example and it is making a lot of people redundant and left out, with less money. Also social media make the world a more manichaestic place where people can erase whomever does not agree with them, I am right you are wrong type of mentality

We tend to see a really black future when in fact we have no ideal what will happen. Yes, nowadays there seem there won't be paper magazines or newspapers in the future, that there won't be shops and only stands to get your parcel after ordering online... But then again, we're experiencing a rise in search of real experiences and for example in Spain the street shops are going through a revival and less people go to shopping centres where a car is needed. 

As you say, times go really fast. So fast, that we can't predict many things. In the year 2000 I was in a congress where an "expert" predicted the end of the newspaper by 2010. Nowadays, I'm still working in a newspaper. 

26 minutes ago, karbatal said:

As you say, times go really fast. So fast, that we can't predict many things. In the year 2000 I was in a congress where an "expert" predicted the end of the newspaper by 2010. Nowadays, I'm still working in a newspaper. 

I was on a fan forum, the other day, and someone predicted the end of cinemas.......................... :lol:

j/k

3 minutes ago, runa said:

I was on a fan forum, the other day, and someone predicted the end of cinemas.......................... :lol:

j/k

If you're talking about me, I predicted that a percentage of people will stop going to the cinemas and that the industry better be ready! :lol: I didn't mean the whole industry!!!!

The same with tv. They'd better be ready because their time has come to an end, especially news on tv. They're so expensive to make and they rely on viewers coming from a popular program. Once less people is watching tv and less people go through the news, I expect big changes in those outlets too! 

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

If you're talking about me, I predicted that a percentage of people will stop going to the cinemas and that the industry better be ready! :lol: I didn't mean the whole industry!!!!

The same with tv. They'd better be ready because their time has come to an end, especially news on tv. They're so expensive to make and they rely on viewers coming from a popular program. Once less people is watching tv and less people go through the news, I expect big changes in those outlets too! 

It was just a joke, Karby.

I understood what you meant when you talked about movie theater. I just found it funny because we heard a lot of things about newspaper, just like we do now with movie theaters.
I guess time will tell. 

Just now, runa said:

It was just a joke, Karby.

I understood what you meant when you talked about movie theater. I just found it funny because we heard a lot of things about newspaper, just like we do now with movie theaters.
I guess time will tell. 

I knew you were joking. But one thing is true: sometimes we all find ourselves predicting the end of the world and then much later things go the unexpected route! When MDNA was released, for example, we wouldn't have thought that Spotify would exist now! 

On 2/8/2019 at 12:59 PM, Lolo said:

I know what you mean. Being born in 1972 I had a childhood and my teen years in the '70s and '80s. I'm glad for this experience. I don't want to say that everything was better back than. It's only different nowadays. But the internet, especially social media really has a negative effect for the development of society.

1 hour ago, Jim34 said:

I know what you mean. Being born in 1972 I had a childhood and my teen years in the '70s and '80s. I'm glad for this experience. I don't want to say that everything was better back than. It's only different nowadays. But the internet, especially social media really has a negative effect for the development of society.

Yes, it’s very different and not necessarily worse... but Back when I was a child my growing up und the experiences I made and phases I went trough were not much different to what my parents childhood looked like. So they could share a lot with me or be empathetic about whatever I had to go through. And now I have the feeling it’s going to be hard to connect with my kids due to lack of experience on my part. I have NO IDEA of what it’s like to grow up in the age of social media. It feels so strange...

But the 2000s was the best time ever for music! How can you all not give it credit when music was still original, creative and before all the auto tune, disposable acts started coming in? Music was magical and innovative and music these days is just blandly remixing every song from the 2000s. So many artists these days have bland voice and come out with generic material. Just look at the top 40 charts.

Also, i’m honoured i got to grow up in the 2000s before the internet was a major thing (was still in development), before people started looking at their phones, music wasn’t disposable and people went out to buy music, less issues like lgbt shoved in your face, and less evilness in the world etc. 

5 hours ago, Jitterbug said:

Also, i’m honoured i got to grow up in the 2000s before the internet was a major thing (was still in development), before people started looking at their phones, music wasn’t disposable and people went out to buy music, less issues like lgbt shoved in your face, and less evilness in the world etc. 

"less issues like LGTB shoved in your face"

Excuse me? I don't understand that line.

5 hours ago, Jitterbug said:

41954e127a74de451c22a59d2575990b.gif