NYC NYE PERFORMANCE STONEWALL INN!

8 hours ago, pieciolot said:

You don't need to get rights to do a cover. You only need permission if you want to use a sample of someone else's song.

I was certain you still needed permission if you wanted to record your own version of someone else's song.

I remember Sia harassing Guy O on twitter when she wanted to include Oh Father on her We are Born album from 2010 as they were about to release the album and she hadn't received Madonna's approval...i think he even wrote back why the rush...

On 1/2/2019 at 10:58 AM, Simo9jo said:

This year I obtained a Masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology--and the most incredible moment I've experienced in therapy, was earlier this year with a woman who has a form of dementia mixed with aphasia (inability to formulate language), and she loved Elvis. I sang "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" in its entirety with her and it was truly incredible.

I had also taken everyone out for a drink at Stonewall the last day of the semester. So amazing to see Madonna there and hear her singing that song so well (what a perfectly controlled note at the end). People need to once again recognize what Madonna has done for women and the LGBTQ community (and sexuality in general)....Herfaceremains' post earlier in this thread was eloquent regarding that topic. 

On 1/2/2019 at 12:22 PM, runa said:

Very touching story. Thank u !

My father, before he passed away, had dementia and aphasia, too. But he still loved listening to music. You could see in his eyes how he recognized some songs. 

The night before he passed, there were a snow storm. I spent the entire night, laying beside him and the radio was playing. All Christmas song (including Santa Baby by M). I sang many of those song for him so he knew I was there with him. 

I’ll remember that my entire life.

Music has such a strong power and we don’t really know it. That’s why my connection to M is so important in my life. She’s always there, everywhere I go, even in my darkest hour, acting like a light, guiding me.

Thank you both for sharing such personal and touching stories. Music is indeed powerful. And Madonna’s music, particularly, has a profound effect on our lives as fans, to be sure.

9 minutes ago, Leebf said:

I was certain you still needed permission if you wanted to record your own version of someone else's song.

I remember Sia harassing Guy O on twitter when she wanted to include Oh Father on her We are Born album from 2010 as they were about to release the album and she hadn't received Madonna's approval...i think he even wrote back why the rush...

Perhaps she wanted Madonna’s blessing, rather than needing it? 

If you sample, you need permission. If you record it with no changes, you need a “compulsory mechanical license,” which (as I understood it previously) were granted without an artist’s permission — which is why there were covers of M mentioned by others.

I’m not familiar with Sia’s version of Oh Father, but if she made any changes to it, she would have needed permission for that, then.

Performing something live and selling a recording can be different, too. If, say, Tori Amos performs Oh Father or Like a Prayer live, she doesn’t need permission. But if she wants to sell a recording of that live performances, there could be clearances, and there would be licenses to pay.

Then only cover I didn't like with Madonna is Imagine, I guess.

But American Pie, Between The Bars, Fever, ...  I loved them all.

Her voice fits Can't Help Falling In Love...

3 minutes ago, Music said:

Then only cover I didn't like with Madonna is Imagine, I guess.

But American Pie, Between The Bars, Fever, ...  I loved them all.

Her voice fits Can't Help Falling In Love...

Same here.  Imagine is a song so completely owned by John Lennon that it does not work really for anyone else - only my opinion. 

Would love a cover of both Between the Bars and Can't help falling in love.  I have weirdly come around to a covers albums as think she would pick some great choices.  I can't believe I am saying that 😄  Normally hate cover albums.  I love La vein en Rose but it has been overdone now by so many.  Will just enjoy her versions on the Rebel Heart tour and on youtube at Sean Penn's charity night for Haiti.  Between the bars though would be a great and unusual choice that she performed so well at TOAC.  

I thought it was a short and sweet performance . Perfect to end the year with ❤️🌈

6 hours ago, peter said:

Perhaps she wanted Madonna’s blessing, rather than needing it? 

If you sample, you need permission. If you record it with no changes, you need a “compulsory mechanical license,” which (as I understood it previously) were granted without an artist’s permission — which is why there were covers of M mentioned by others.

I’m not familiar with Sia’s version of Oh Father, but if she made any changes to it, she would have needed permission for that, then.

Performing something live and selling a recording can be different, too. If, say, Tori Amos performs Oh Father or Like a Prayer live, she doesn’t need permission. But if she wants to sell a recording of that live performances, there could be clearances, and there would be licenses to pay.

Tori sold those concerts on cd. I have the box. 

I think you only need permission to change. For example Kylie wanted to change the name Lola into Kylie for Copacabana and they told her nope. She sang the song live with the word Lola.

13 hours ago, karbatal said:

Tori sold those concerts on cd. I have the box. 

I think you only need permission to change. For example Kylie wanted to change the name Lola into Kylie for Copacabana and they told her nope. She sang the song live with the word Lola.

Right — which is what I said, you need permission to change something. I didn’t say Tori didn’t release it for purchase, but the licensing for that would be different than the licensing for performing it. The songwriters get paid — so, in the case of the generic dance cover of Like a Prayer, Madonna would be paid but her permission wouldn’t be required. When people cover Holiday or Material Girl, her permission is not required and she also is not paid, because she has no songwriting credit.

Just noticed that one of the 1 min Instagram clips is now on Madonna YouTube... Yay, hope she places all of them on the site and, if we are lucky, the full performance!! :tigger:

1 hour ago, dubtronic said:

made by Frank

It must be my perception that has got used to her brand new big butt after seeing the pics many times, but in this video I don't see her ass as the disproportionate mess as in the first time. 

58 minutes ago, Anne said:

It must be my perception that has got used to her brand new big butt after seeing the pics many times, but in this video I don't see her ass as the disproportionate mess as in the first time. 

the angle is better.. or it's possible that the video that went viral (thanks perez hilton) had a very bad angle.. it still looks too big for her body though

2 hours ago, Anne said:

It looks like a disproportionate mess. 

it may not be the place to ask this...but is it true that the stonewall riots were related to judy garland´s dead? I mean, that people were angrier and more sad because of her passing, and that it made them go aganst the people that were fighting against them?

14 minutes ago, promise to try said:

it may not be the place to ask this...but is it true that the stonewall riots were related to judy garland´s dead? I mean, that people were angrier and more sad because of her passing, and that it made them go aganst the people that were fighting against them?

In the years since the riots occurred, the death of gay icon Judy Garland earlier in the week on June 22, 1969 has been attributed as a significant factor in the riots, but no participants in Saturday morning's demonstrations recall Garland's name being discussed. No print accounts of the riots by reliable sources cite Garland as a reason for the riot, although one sarcastic account by a heterosexual publication suggested it. (Carter, p. 260.) Although Sylvia Rivera recalls she was saddened and amazed by the turnout at Garland's funeral on Friday, June 27, she said that she did not feel like going out much but changed her mind later. (Duberman, pp. 190–191.) Bob Kohler used to talk to the homeless youth in Sheridan Square, and said, "When people talk about Judy Garland's death having anything much to do with the riot, that makes me crazy. The street kids faced death every day. They had nothing to lose. And they couldn't have cared less about Judy. We're talking about kids who were fourteen, fifteen, sixteen. Judy Garland was the middle-aged darling of the middle-class gays. I get upset about this because it trivializes the whole thing." Deitcher, David (ed.) (1995). The Question of Equality: Lesbian and Gay Politics in America Since Stonewall. Scribner. ISBN 0-684-80030-6.

Just now, Paul said:

In the years since the riots occurred, the death of gay icon Judy Garland earlier in the week on June 22, 1969 has been attributed as a significant factor in the riots, but no participants in Saturday morning's demonstrations recall Garland's name being discussed. No print accounts of the riots by reliable sources cite Garland as a reason for the riot, although one sarcastic account by a heterosexual publication suggested it. (Carter, p. 260.) Although Sylvia Rivera recalls she was saddened and amazed by the turnout at Garland's funeral on Friday, June 27, she said that she did not feel like going out much but changed her mind later. (Duberman, pp. 190–191.) Bob Kohler used to talk to the homeless youth in Sheridan Square, and said, "When people talk about Judy Garland's death having anything much to do with the riot, that makes me crazy. The street kids faced death every day. They had nothing to lose. And they couldn't have cared less about Judy. We're talking about kids who were fourteen, fifteen, sixteen. Judy Garland was the middle-aged darling of the middle-class gays. I get upset about this because it trivializes the whole thing." Deitcher, David (ed.) (1995). The Question of Equality: Lesbian and Gay Politics in America Since Stonewall. Scribner. ISBN 0-684-80030-6.

thank you!

11 hours ago, Edivad said:

Fuck all negativity

FB_IMG_1546762761405.jpg

i actually think she is wearing something like this along with a bigger ass due to weight gain and i think she did it for publicity 

5 minutes ago, trickyricky said:

i actually think she is wearing something like this along with a bigger ass due to weight gain and i think she did it for publicity 

Yes she is just testing how good her new pr team is...

17 minutes ago, trickyricky said:

OF course and the Brits fall was also intentional :lmao: