Predict M14 sales

On 2/5/2019 at 7:22 PM, iasonas said:

We should also not forget that all the streams of songs released from the album before the album release accumulate and count towards the opening week of the album.

That's why it is important to release more than just 1 song before the album drops. They will get some streams just because she is Madonna and that will help 1st week numbers.

Are you sure? I am pretty positive it does not. What those streams count for is certifications. So the album can be certified in the first week even though it might not sell that much. 

On 2/5/2019 at 10:26 PM, Bat-Fan said:

If managed properly... here is the problem

Isn’t it ironic that Madonna has one of the most powerful managers in the industry who owns a management company full to the brim with other management talent yet the rollout of his flagship artist’s last album and era was a total disaster and he has stood by whilst that era has been followed up with some of her worst career decisions and social media gaffes. Madonna has been involved in some amazing and iconic fashion and product campaigns of the entertainment industry yet chose to promote MDNA SKIN in the cheapest most tacky way possible. She’s extremely lucky that the promo campaign was for the most part ignored by the mass media and general public and the products sold through good word of mouth otherwise she risked being a laughing stock like Cher and Mariah Carey were. It’s endlessly headscratching stuff.

1 minute ago, Suedey said:

5 million USA

1.5 million UK

0.5 million France, Germany

0.3 million Japan

10 million WW

we have another True Blue or Like A Prayer among us

4 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

we have another True Blue or Like A Prayer among us

It will have Like a Prayer sales but with streaming it will outsell True Blue and Like a Virgin too but maybe not Immaculate. 

On 2/8/2019 at 6:16 AM, Rugbyguy said:

Isn’t it ironic that Madonna has one of the most powerful managers in the industry who owns a management company full to the brim with other management talent yet the rollout of his flagship artist’s last album and era was a total disaster and he has stood by whilst that era has been followed up with some of her worst career decisions and social media gaffes. Madonna has been involved in some amazing and iconic fashion and product campaigns of the entertainment industry yet chose to promote MDNA SKIN in the cheapest most tacky way possible. She’s extremely lucky that the promo campaign was for the most part ignored by the mass media and general public and the products sold through good word of mouth otherwise she risked being a laughing stock like Cher and Mariah Carey were. It’s endlessly headscratching stuff.

Tbh i really like the campaign for mdna skin, the photos on the mdna skin instagram are ridiculously well produced and the ads she made have in some cases better production than her videos....

now if guy could get someone to properly light, shoot and curate her instagram (i don't think she'd let that happen but one can muse about it) that'd be amazing, that's like half of the bad press she gets) 

This decade (especially), sales of M albums were lesser and lesser than the prior... but M fans are in abundance but why not her sales grow over a million...?

It seemed like this mystery can never be solved... could it be the lack of promotion, potential singles? Now that we can count out the support from Radio, I guessed it would be purely based on sales for all of M's future releases...

21 hours ago, lasky said:

This decade (especially), sales of M albums were lesser and lesser than the prior... but M fans are in abundance but why not her sales grow over a million...?

It seemed like this mystery can never be solved... could it be the lack of promotion, potential singles? Now that we can count out the support from Radio, I guessed it would be purely based on sales for all of M's future releases...

Well, there’s dwindling record sales, of course, so we can’t compare sales of HC and Rebel Heart in the same terms. Plus the leaks. Plus...

But if some of my close friends are anything to go by, I think she might’ve alienated a lot of her older fans. I know about ten people who used to worship the ground Madonna walked on up until HC. Then the MDNA era put them off completely, and RH was a non-event. And we’re talking about Brazil, where she gets 10% of the backlash she gets in the States. 

I really really want Magic to sell and generate at least one moderate hit. But there seems to be a step missing: reminding the GP that Madonna is the queen of the fucking universe and making them fall back in love with her. 

Slob seems to be getting more love from the GP in Brazil these days (“more versatile”, “sings better”), and this breaks my heart. It’s a sad sad world when a shitty song like Shallow gets the amount of airplay it’s getting

On 2/10/2019 at 11:53 PM, luizotaviobarros said:

Well, there’s dwindling record sales, of course, so we can’t compare sales of HC and Rebel Heart in the same terms. Plus the leaks. Plus...

But if some of my close friends are anything to go by, I think she might’ve alienated a lot of her older fans. I know about ten people who used to worship the ground Madonna walked on up until HC. Then the MDNA era put them off completely, and RH was a non-event. And we’re talking about Brazil, where she gets 10% of the backlash she gets in the States. 

I really really want Magic to sell and generate at least one moderate hit. But there seems to be a step missing: reminding the GP that Madonna is the queen of the fucking universe and making them fall back in love with her. 

Slob seems to be getting more love from the GP in Brazil these days (“more versatile”, “sings better”), and this breaks my heart. It’s a sad sad world when a shitty song like Shallow gets the amount of airplay it’s getting

'swallow' was forced onto playlists and radio. When the song was first released, there was zero interest and it was doing nothing to the point where they announced I'll never say goodbye was the first proper single. Then that did nothing and they started pushing swallow again and made it a hit.

The budget going into making the soundtrack and film a hit is massive.

They'll forget her soon enough and go back to saying M is the Queen. Media people are fickle and just say any crap to be seen to be relevant.

Madonna's whole career has been knocking down backlashes. 

On 2/9/2019 at 6:01 PM, Suedey said:

It will have Like a Prayer sales but with streaming it will outsell True Blue and Like a Virgin too but maybe not Immaculate. 

it will be close

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

'swallow' was forced onto playlists and radio. When the song was first released, there was zero interest and it was doing nothing to the point where they announced I'll never say goodbye was the first proper single. Then that did nothing and they started pushing swallow again and made it a hit.

The budget going into making the soundtrack and film a hit is massive.

They'll forget her soon enough and go back to saying M is the Queen. Media people are fickle and just say any crap to be seen to be relevant.

Madonna's whole career has been knocking down backlashes. 

Generally I would agree. But I think at this point Madonna owes an album at least on the level of Confessions if she wants to turn the tide. It seems like even in Europe, where her biggest fans were, she hasn't had a proper hit in 11 years. Hopefully this time the lead single is absolutely brilliant and Guy does a great promotion.

Fans who jumped ship, general public, media, they all are looong ready to love her again. But truth is, as fickle they all might be, they’re still holding back because her last efforts simply weren’t up there with the standards she established herself. The music wasn’t good enough, the reinvention wasn’t good enough, the evolution wasn’t really there... so honestly I don’t blame radio, ageism, leaks or whatever. 

And I’m not saying any of this wasn’t good per se, we got some great music the last 10 years, it just wasn’t as amazing and eventful as what we’ve been used to with Madonna music and visuals. You can see there’s exceptions, notably her Half Time show and S&S/MDNA tours which kept the standards high and got the acclaim accordingly. 

53 minutes ago, elijah said:

Generally I would agree. But I think at this point Madonna owes an album at least on the level of Confessions if she wants to turn the tide. It seems like even in Europe, where her biggest fans were, she hasn't had a proper hit in 11 years. Hopefully this time the lead single is absolutely brilliant and Guy does a great promotion.

The reason she hasn’t had a hit in Europe in 11 years is Interscope. 

2 minutes ago, Confessit said:

The reason she hasn’t had a hit in Europe in 11 years is Interscope. 

No, I would say first and foremost its because she has chosen the wrong 1st singles for way too long.

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

No, I would say first and foremost its because she has chosen the wrong 1st singles for way too long.

I disagree.

Madonna went from being a top ten artist across the whole of Europe under Warner’s to barly scrapping a top 30 anywhere !!

Whilst I agree the first singles from her time so far at Interscope have been weak, Warner’s was a powerhouse for her and when she left them she left behind all the local connections Warner’s has built up for her.

The jump to Interscope killed her charts career.

If you’d if said to anyone on this forum in 2009 that Celebration would be her last top ten hit in Europe nobody would of believed it.

I agree that her label change played a huge factor in her decline at radio but I feel like even if she'd stayed with Warner Bros., she would inevitably have had to deal with the inescapable scourge of ageism. As someone mentioned previously, there are no 60 year-olds charting in the Hot 100 these days. The audience that does the most streaming and purchasing has only gotten younger and younger over the years and Madonna, who is as old as this audience's grand-parents, simply can't connect with a majority of them because they can't relate to her. As weird as it sounds, she's too sophisticated, worldly and mature for today's pop audience. They want Ariana Grande, who plays with dollhouses in her videos and pretends to be in high school. (Which is, ironically, the kind of stuff Madonna did in her True Blue era.)

I think her biggest successes will continue to come from first-week sales of her albums (when bundled properly) and her healthy tour numbers. For the U.S., I'm predicting somewhere in the neighborhood of 150,000 units in her first week out, which will hopefully be enough for a number 1.

2 hours ago, Confessit said:

Warner’s was a powerhouse for her and when she left them she left behind all the local connections Warner’s has built up for her.

The jump to Interscope killed her charts career.

Yeah, I think that played a part in Brazil as well. 

Pop radio didn’t touch LFL, and, OK, I don’t blame them. To me, it lacks the punch a lead single should have - feel free to disagree. 

But Ghosttown would’ve been just perfect for our biggest AC radio in São Paulo and I’m positive they would’ve played it non stop for months if a proper record label had pushed the single. 

I want Magic to suceed more than anything else, but interscope has to step up its game

3 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Didn't realise it was so few singles in the last ten years:

Revolver

Give me all your love

Girl gone wild

Turn up the radio

Living for love

Ghosttown

Bitch I'm Madonna

🙊

I really love the woman but that list of singles is scary. She was the popstar with the strongest singles collection. I mean she can do better then the majority of those songs!

3 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Didn't realise it was so few singles in the last ten years:

Revolver

Give me all your love

Girl gone wild

Turn up the radio

Living for love

Ghosttown

Bitch I'm Madonna

🙊

Damn, her singles in the past 10 years have been solid. I love all of those with the exception of GMAYL. 2010s Madonna is fierce.

1 hour ago, luizotaviobarros said:

I want Magic to suceed more than anything else, but interscope has to step up its game

Interscope WONT step up their game: its her last album with them. They won't lift a finger. The only salvation is with Guy Oseary (if he does it right), the new PR firm and Madonna herself. Madonna has a lot to gain or loose with this album, because after it she would have to sign with a new label. If she wants the money, she will have to make this album success.

19 hours ago, elijah said:

She had great singles, its the Interscope who sucks