Bulgaria: Billboards featuring LGBT couples vandalised

elijah

Bulgaria: Billboards featuring LGBT couples vandalised 

A poster series featuring LGBT couples with the slogan "It's not scary, it's just love," that sparked controversy in Bulgaria.

A poster series featuring LGBT couples with the slogan "It's not scary, it's just love," that sparked controversy in Bulgaria. 

PinkNews Daily LGBT+ Newsletter

Signup to receive a daily roundup of the top LGBT+ news stories from around the world

Billboards featuring LGBT+ couples and the slogan “It’s not scary, it’s just love—Different People, Equal Rights” have sparked controversy in Bulgaria.

The street posters were installed this week in various Bulgarian cities as part of a European Commission-funded project by a group of six Bulgarian non-governmental organisations, aimed at tackling homophobia.

They had the side effect of exposing anti-LGBT sentiment in the country.

The billboards featured LGBT+ couples hugging or holding hands in front of iconic Bulgarian buildings such as the National Assembly, the National Palace of Culture and the Ivan Vazov National Theatre.

They were due for display in the main cities in Bulgaria, such as the capital Sofia as well as Burgas, Varna and Plovdiv.

“It is not acceptable to have frank propaganda for homosexual relations.”

— Varna city councillor Kostadin Kostadinov

In Varna, one of the posters was covered in paint, as a picture widely shared on social media showed. The company who put up the billboards announced that it would be taking them down following complaints from the public.

Local media reported that some of the complaints were due to the billboards being displayed in the lead up to the Christmas festivities. In other cases, some people complained about the billboards being visible to children and forcing a conversation about LGBT+ rights.

Picture of one of the Bulgaria LGBT billboard that was damaged by vandals.
One of the billboards part of the Bulgaria LGBT+ campaign was covered in paint. (Nova Varna)

Varna city councillor Kostadin Kostadinov denounced the billboards as “propaganda.”

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/12/14/bulgaria-lgbt-couples-vandalised/

I m disgusted by how nationalist, fascist have Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Croatia become in those latest years. A big anti-gay, anti-EU propaganda is pouring millions creating enemies where there is none.

They rage because they lose power and they feel it. No matter how slow or frustrating is the increasing of tolerance, the time will come. I'm sure.

By the way, it's a European campaign it seems. I wish Brussels had a say and linked projects in cities such as Varna with their attitude towards minorities. Environment is mainstreamed into all EU decisions and nowadays gender equality starts being mainstreamed too. All minorities rights should be part of every EU decision and those governments not respecting such rights should be called off. But of course that's asking too much, as the EU still don't consider that gay marriage is a fundamental right.

1 hour ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

The same thing happened with a similar photo project in Poland in 2004. Social change takes time.

The bad thing is that it feels like Bulgaria used to be more tolerant and has become more and more anti-gay in those last years (probably two). If the EU wants a change, they should legalise gay marriage on EU level.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I think the EU should rather respect the different rhythms of its members. I doubt the top to bottom approach is going to have positive effects, it can create a backlash. There are many issues involved for countries who have been subjected to foreign powers in the past, that are wary of a foreign power imposing rules from the outside.

43 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

I think the EU should rather respect the different rhythms of its members. I doubt the top to bottom approach is going to have positive effects, it can create a backlash. There are many issues involved for countries who have been subjected to foreign powers in the past, that are wary of a foreign power imposing rules from the outside.

I do mostly agree with you. I think history tells us this.

Anyway, it sucks this happen there....

7 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Nope. There's no soft behaviour when it comes to economy and we SUFFER austerity and adjustment. Now we have to be tender around bigots? 

Guest CzarnaWisnia

That's not what I said. Each country and its people must realize their own social progress. It must not be imposed from above or from foreign countries.

2 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

That's not what I said. Each country and its people must realize their own social progress. It must not be imposed from above or from foreign countries.

Again, not. They don't ask us if we're ready for the neo-con recipes and we have to wallow them we like it or not. You have to prepare your country to get into the EU, sometimes destroying farming communities or energy systems. Then you get in and all social developments have to be slow in case neonazis and cunts don't fuss? Nope. 

My bulgarian cousin-in-law, he's such a great boy, I love him dearly. Once my husband's grandpa, a great man but conservative as he's been in a little village for so long, was saying something about black people. And my cousin stood up and told him "if you want European money and European development, you have to accept European ideas too. Marrying a black person or being gay is considered normal in other countries. That is the EU too, and it comes as a whole". I wanted to clap so badly!!!!

Maybe those countries who entereded since 2002 should have been explained very seriously that criteria to get into the club included social development too. Sadly, for too long the EU has focused on the economic factors and only speaks about social factos when it comes to marketing. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Again, not. They don't ask us if we're ready for the neo-con recipes and we have to wallow them we like it or not. You have to prepare your country to get into the EU, sometimes destroying farming communities or energy systems. Then you get in and all social developments have to be slow in case neonazis and cunts don't fuss? Nope. 

I agree 100 percent. There should be shared values on EU level that should include respecting gay rights.

Yesterday, Aragon, the land where I live, approved a new LGTB law, protecting the people, specifiying sanctions in case of discrimination (up to 50.000 euro) and including the LGTBI reality and respect in schools. This is a pioneer law in Spain and this should be done in the whole EU. The best thing about these news? That it was accepted by unanimity by all political parties in the Aragonese Parliament. 

Aragon has always been a pioneer in lots of laws (the People's Ombudsman idea was first born here centuries ago) and I know for experience the difference it makes once it is is the Government or an official institution the one starting the change. If politicians feel free to insult minorities, change will never be done! 

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

Yesterday, Aragon, the land where I live, approved a new LGTB law, protecting the people, specifiying sanctions in case of discrimination (up to 50.000 euro) and including the LGTBI reality and respect in schools. This is a pioneer law in Spain and this should be done in the whole EU. The best thing about these news? That it was accepted by unanimity by all political parties in the Aragonese Parliament. 

Aragon has always been a pioneer in lots of laws (the People's Ombudsman idea was first born here centuries ago) and I know for experience the difference it makes once it is is the Government or an official institution the one starting the change. If politicians feel free to insult minorities, change will never be done! 

True. The Bulgarian politicians have become more homophobic in their speech because they think thats what the society wants. The homophobes on the other hand feel empowered by such a language. The common slogan is that no-one cares who sleeps with who, but lgbt ppl shouldn't be pushed in the other ppl faces, cause they have the same rights. There are no marriage, adoption etc. rights though so thats a lie.

As for Aragon: Spain is very socially liberal. It feels like being lgbt there causes 0 problems, which is great. I dont know what law u are talking about, but discrimination based on sexual preference is illegal on EU level - Art. 21 of EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. LGTBI reality and respect in schools? What does that mean?

28 minutes ago, elijah said:

True. The Bulgarian politicians have become more homophobic in their speech because they think thats what the society wants. The homophobes on the other hand feel empowered by such a language. The common slogan is that no-one cares who sleeps with who, but lgbt ppl shouldn't be pushed in the other ppl faces, cause they have the same rights. There are no marriage, adoption etc. rights though so thats a lie.

As for Aragon: Spain is very socially liberal. It feels like being lgbt there causes 0 problems, which is great. I dont know what law u are talking about, but discrimination based on sexual preference is illegal on EU level - Art. 21 of EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. LGTBI reality and respect in schools? What does that mean?

It specifies the civil penalties and also the level of infringement. Sorry I don't know the names of those words in English. I will use Google Translator, maybe you being a bilingual lawyer can understand it. 

Title III of the recently approved law refers to the sanctioning regime. It establishes three types of infractions: mild (with penalties of 200 to 3,000 euros), serious (from 3,001 to 30,000 euros) and very serious (from 30,001 to 50,000).

Within this last category, it is included "adopt aggressive or constitutive behaviors of harassment, made based on the sexual orientation, expression or gender identity of a person", "any retaliation towards a person who has filed a claim to prevent their discrimination "or" the promotion and realization of aversion or conversion therapies with the purpose of modifying the sexual orientation, expression or gender identity of a person "(even when the latter has given consent).

It is also within very serious infractions "to convene public spectacles or recreational activities that have as an object the incitement to hatred, violence or discrimination of LGTBI persons or their families", "to collect personal data in the selection processes or establish conditions that constitute discrimination for access to employment due to discrimination "," the transmission of messages or images that are discriminatory or offensive in the media "and" promote, justify or hide by any means discrimination against LGTBI persons or their relatives ".

In addition to the economic penalty, serious infringements will entail the prohibition of accessing any type of public aid for a period of up to three years (from three to five years in the case of very serious ones); the temporary disqualification, for a period of up to three years (from three to five in the next step) to be the owner of centers or services dedicated to the provision of public services, and the temporary closure or suspension of the service, activity or installation of three years (up to five in very serious).

Education
The text delves into measures that affect the social, health, labor, educational, family, youth, cultural, sports, related to international development cooperation, in the police and public administrations.

Some of the most outstanding aspects appear in chapter IV, which emphasizes the educational field: it is guaranteed that "the contents of the educational material will promote respect, acceptance and protection of the right to affective-sexual and family diversity" . In the same way, "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender and intersexual reality will be incorporated in the transversal contents of training in those subjects in which it is appropriate".

In addition, the educational centers will promote actions to detect, prevent and protect actions of discrimination or harassment and avoid the delivery of discriminatory content towards LGTBI persons. In addition, textbooks (and educational material in general) will make visible and reflect "the heterogeneity of the existing family models in Aragon, as well as the corporal and sexual diversity in a natural, respectful and transversal manner".

Highlights, in the cultural field, that all libraries of autonomous ownership must have a bibliographic fund of LGTBI theme, forming a specific section in those libraries of cities with more than 20,000 inhabitants.

8 minutes ago, karbatal said:

It specifies the civil penalties and also the level of infringement. Sorry I don't know the names of those words in English. I will use Google Translator, maybe you being a bilingual lawyer can understand it. 

Title III of the recently approved law refers to the sanctioning regime. It establishes three types of infractions: mild (with penalties of 200 to 3,000 euros), serious (from 3,001 to 30,000 euros) and very serious (from 30,001 to 50,000).

Within this last category, it is included "adopt aggressive or constitutive behaviors of harassment, made based on the sexual orientation, expression or gender identity of a person", "any retaliation towards a person who has filed a claim to prevent their discrimination "or" the promotion and realization of aversion or conversion therapies with the purpose of modifying the sexual orientation, expression or gender identity of a person "(even when the latter has given consent).

It is also within very serious infractions "to convene public spectacles or recreational activities that have as an object the incitement to hatred, violence or discrimination of LGTBI persons or their families", "to collect personal data in the selection processes or establish conditions that constitute discrimination for access to employment due to discrimination "," the transmission of messages or images that are discriminatory or offensive in the media "and" promote, justify or hide by any means discrimination against LGTBI persons or their relatives ".

In addition to the economic penalty, serious infringements will entail the prohibition of accessing any type of public aid for a period of up to three years (from three to five years in the case of very serious ones); the temporary disqualification, for a period of up to three years (from three to five in the next step) to be the owner of centers or services dedicated to the provision of public services, and the temporary closure or suspension of the service, activity or installation of three years (up to five in very serious).

Education
The text delves into measures that affect the social, health, labor, educational, family, youth, cultural, sports, related to international development cooperation, in the police and public administrations.

Some of the most outstanding aspects appear in chapter IV, which emphasizes the educational field: it is guaranteed that "the contents of the educational material will promote respect, acceptance and protection of the right to affective-sexual and family diversity" . In the same way, "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender and intersexual reality will be incorporated in the transversal contents of training in those subjects in which it is appropriate".

In addition, the educational centers will promote actions to detect, prevent and protect actions of discrimination or harassment and avoid the delivery of discriminatory content towards LGTBI persons. In addition, textbooks (and educational material in general) will make visible and reflect "the heterogeneity of the existing family models in Aragon, as well as the corporal and sexual diversity in a natural, respectful and transversal manner".

Highlights, in the cultural field, that all libraries of autonomous ownership must have a bibliographic fund of LGTBI theme, forming a specific section in those libraries of cities with more than 20,000 inhabitants.

Bravo to Aragon! Yet again a leader in social change!!! I love what your region has adopted. ❤️

I feel terrible about this, but even this is step in the right direction... the first time they see this, people will vandalize the posters.... the next time they will leave them and complain among themselves, then the next time they won't even notice the posters and they will instead complain about something more advanced.. etc.... and that's how progress usually works. That's why the conservatives are complaining about the posters, because they know things like this make a change for the better and there's not much they can do.

6 hours ago, functions_X said:

I feel terrible about this, but even this is step in the right direction... the first time they see this, people will vandalize the posters.... the next time they will leave them and complain among themselves, then the next time they won't even notice the posters and they will instead complain about something more advanced.. etc.... and that's how progress usually works. That's why the conservatives are complaining about the posters, because they know things like this make a change for the better and there's not much they can do.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

That's exactly what I wanted to say but somehow I always wander. 

5 hours ago, elijah said:

But I live in Bulgaria and it feels like it has regressed in the lgbt rights department. That was my point. 

Yes, lgbt rights have regressed in many countries, but I believe it's just a temporary setback... it will do some damage for sure, but there's a slow progress around the corner 😊

17 hours ago, elijah said:

But I live in Bulgaria and it feels like it has regressed in the lgbt rights department. That was my point. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. You know how much I love Bulgaria and how much I admire your personality as a country. Your warmth, loyalty and sincere love for those you consider part of your family or personal circle. 

That's why I hope this will sort out! Somehow I feel that Bulgaria will only wake up as a country when that love and loyalty reaches all spheres of society. Just like Spain is the best when we let our personality (imagination and openness) shine. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2018 at 5:53 PM, elijah said:

omg, I love Rusev and Lana. Bulgarian icons!

but yeah, this is normal when LGBT discussion is so vocal after being a taboo topic. It will get better after few years.