MadonnaNation.com Forums
frzndrwnwrld

2019 Grammy Awards

is it true that julio iglesias received a grammy for all his career?

and what the fuck with dirty computer? where are its grammys?cabrones!

19 hours ago, Barbie said:

:rotfl:

:manson: This ish was scary. What kind of Bad Seed realness is this?

3 hours ago, Magician said:

How? :crazy:

isn't he a Taylor Swift fan? he was praising Ariana's album too. 

Janelle is okay, but I listened to dirty computer after madonnanation members recommended it, and the lyrics are very pseudo "woke" with the female empowerment speeches she included. and I'm all for that if it's done a good way (express yourself and human nature vs the secret project speech in the background. I hope im not pissing anyone off by saying this, but I prefer a subtle or "stand up for yourself", "speak ur mind" sort of style opposed to hearing what Tumblr and twitter have been repeating for years) honestly.. she's a little artsy fartsy to me (in this "take me seriously" sort of way.) im not a fan

a lot of Janelle's music also seems like a big tribute to prince and vanity.

5 hours ago, Magician said:

Oh jesus christ, what the fuck would this pig know from good music anyway?  Good god I can't stand him. 
He's always been very dismissive of anyone who isn't some pop tart type of act.  Janelle is rooted in old-school funk and R&B...he wouldn't know shit about it.

I don't find Janelle overrated but I DO find her boring. To each their own though. She is talented just not for me.

2 hours ago, Nikki said:

Janelle is okay, but I listened to dirty computer after madonnanation members recommended it, and the lyrics are very pseudo "woke" with the female empowerment speeches she included. and I'm all for that if it's done a good way (express yourself and human nature vs the secret project speech in the background. I hope im not pissing anyone off by saying this, but I prefer a subtle or "stand up for yourself", "speak ur mind" sort of style opposed to hearing what Tumblr and twitter have been repeating for years) honestly.. she's a little artsy fartsy to me (in this "take me seriously" sort of way.) im not a fan

Well, to each their own, but I personally think desperate times call for defiant expression.

I strongly disagree that anything in Janelle's works sounds pseudo woke though...she's the very embodiment of the opposite of that. That's why I'm ok with her being not-so-subtle about it.

2 hours ago, Nikki said:

Of course it is.  He was personally mentoring her for several years before he passed away.

I have no issue with heavy influence from past icons if it's done with true reverence...and Janelle has nothing but that for Prince and all her influences. You can tell it's absolutely genuine with her (compared to others who not need be named). And when it comes to that influence taking a personal hand in mentorship of that artist, I think it says a lot.  As for a song like "Make Me Feel", it's not only a deliberate homage to Prince, but he actually wrote the lead synth line himself.  But there are a lot of other influences in her work too, from soul to psychedelic rock and even alternative if you go back to her earlier work.

14 hours ago, Magician said:

Is this guy still going? I never hear anything about except here. TMZ has taken over.

The only song I know by JM is that irritating tongue click one and I've yet to get through 30 seconds of it.

12 hours ago, Nikki said:

isn't he a Taylor Swift fan? he was praising Ariana's album too. 

Dirty Computer is a bit too political and SJW-ish for my taste. (Maybe I need to hear it again?) I listened to it 2 or 3 times and I remember not liking it as much as her earlier works, even though everyone (even the Grammys) raves about it. 

I liked Metropolis and The ArchAndroid much better. Try listening to those. 

I love Janelle. She has a superb baggage of influence that she sublimates through her own identity. Yes, she is engaged in a very literal way but it could not be further from the horrible SJW. Janelle is not politicized to attract attention to her but because she wants to say something about our society. I like her for being so artsy and conceptual at a time when everyone is so basic. Unfortunately, being artsy is now considered an insult and snobbery. Bowie, Bjork, Kate Bush, Tori Amos could never have existed in today's context. In fact, no, they could have existed but would never have known popular success. 

Good god, Janelle is just like Charlie XCX or Marina and the Diamonds: loved and overhyped by Tumblr gays only. 🙄

OT: Show was cute, I really enjoyed JLo's and Camila's performances (at least Camila's was nice with sound muted), and to me Dolly's and Diana's moments were heart-warming. I enjoyed the overall female empowerment undertone of the show. tenor.gif?itemid=5012258

36 minutes ago, Gâteau said:

Good god, Janelle is just like Charlie XCX or Marina and the Diamonds: loved and overhyped by Tumblr gays only. 🙄

Not true at all. She means a great deal to young black people, particularly young black women and queer POC...and from my time on social media, it's mainly these demographics that staunchly support her.

In fact, when I was on Tumblr more often, I rarely saw Janelle mentioned by the typical 'tumblr gay' clique.

14 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Well, to each their own, but I personally think desperate times call for defiant expression.

I strongly disagree that anything in Janelle's works sounds pseudo woke though...she's the very embodiment of the opposite of that. That's why I'm ok with her being not-so-subtle about it.

2 hours ago, Martin B. said:

I love Janelle. She has a superb baggage of influence that she sublimates through her own identity. Yes, she is engaged in a very literal way but it could not be further from the horrible SJW. Janelle is not politicized to attract attention to her but because she wants to say something about our society. I like her for being so artsy and conceptual at a time when everyone is so basic. Unfortunately, being artsy is now considered an insult and snobbery. Bowie, Bjork, Kate Bush, Tori Amos could never have existed in today's context. In fact, no, they could have existed but would never have known popular success. 

👏🏼

I’d also add that Dirty Computer offered a masterful execution of a conceptual and visual album about societal issues and sexual identity. I can’t echo the same thoughts towards Lemonade, which offers a watered down approach on those topics.  Then again, Beyoncé has a LONG history of exploiting social justice movements to benefit her status.

1 hour ago, Martin B. said:

FnowUAfLeoNIpKJTme_zK9ynj9wjKQAugOcOg-p9

Couldn't have said it better myself.

42 minutes ago, Marco said:

👏🏼

I’d also add that Dirty Computer offered a masterful execution of a conceptual and visual album about societal issues and sexual identity. I can’t echo the same thoughts towards Lemonade, which offers a watered down approach on those topics.  Then again, Beyoncé has a LONG history of exploiting social justice movements to benefit her status.

2v3qaf4.jpg

This.