MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rebel Heartbreaker

Not Cool For School: your first ever albums

Spurred on by @Crux bringing Bucks Fizz's ghost of Christmas futures and @Jazzy Jan mentioning all their songs I used to love (and still do) in that topic, I thought it'd be interesting to see what our first musical awakenings were!

When one reads music journo listings, they always try and be as cool as fuck.  Honey, when you are a kid, you're not cool for school.  I was a country kid, with deaf (hearing impaired) parents so can never make claims like 'oh, my dad had Jimi Hendrix and The Ramones on the stereo all the time!'

I will kick it off with my first four (which were all on cassette). I'm born in 1968 so will accept ignorance from the Millenial contingent here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

:lmao:

Great thread, Rebel Hearbreaker. That Nolan's cover is horrendous...but they did make some good bops.

My Sister also used to own that Bucks Fizz album on vinyl as well as the one below and I used to love them....

R-1864076-1289263000.jpeg.jpg

Do you remember "The Dooleys"?

519MdStbvsL.jpg

:rotfl:

@Crux Can't say I've heard of The Dooleys. Probably didn't quite make it to Australia!  Though, I remember them being mentioned once on 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' 😝

That is a bloody good BF album, btw!!

I loved my first ever "cassettes"   Which of course were bought by my Mum.  

My first love was Abba and I know my Dad got me a recorded tape of their hits from his mate at work which I played to death.  Arrival was the first official one I owned. 

I still have these and I think they were my first four I owned.  Love them all still. 

Image result for abba arrival coverImage result for grease soundtrack imageImage result for can't stop the music soundtrack imagesImage result for Pat Benatar Precious Time images

@Martin B.  Have all of those albums you posted except for the Celine Christmas one !  

@Rebel Heartbreaker   Loved your choices too.  The Nolans were so daggy but I did love "  Gotta pull myself together"   :lol:  Abba and Olivia and Bucks Fizz :inlove:

1 hour ago, Beautiful Killer said:

Image result for huey lewis and the news sports

Everyone loved Huey Lewis in the 80's. .  I used to have a massive crush on him and when he appeared at the American Music awards presenting with Madonna,  I thought they looked like the perfect couple :lmao:

@Rebel Heartbreaker  Do you remember that Madonna and Huey together at the American Music awards were the TV week pin up one week !  I had the poster on my wall. 

@Crux  Never heard of the Dooleys ! 

Related image

7 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Martin B.  Have all of those albums you posted except for the Celine Christmas one !  

This is the second album she recorded when she was 13 years old. No chance that this record went to Australia!:lol:

10 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I loved my first ever "cassettes"   Which of course were bought by my Mum.  

My first love was Abba and I know my Dad got me a recorded tape of their hits from his mate at work which I played to death.  Arrival was the first official one I owned. 

I still have these and I think they were my first four I owned.  Love them all still. 

Image result for abba arrival coverImage result for grease soundtrack imageImage result for can't stop the music soundtrack imagesImage result for Pat Benatar Precious Time images

My neighbours had ABBA's 'Arrival' on vinyl and I loved the foldout sleeve with ABBA amongst the crowd.  How I miss the touch and feel of holding vinyl records and their card sleeves!

I love Pat Benatar, btw!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Martin B. said:

My first albums :

BD6BB1C1-37C4-48CB-A868-4FBB21F8F67C.jpeg:

A8421D00-F820-4EF3-9975-D11E3B61D0EC.jpegFEDDB10B-D13E-4E3A-A12B-AAC0F70FCAF0.jpeg92BE613E-BE8B-4F4A-BADA-E2F95A07247C.jpeg

Celine, George, Michael and Madonna -- what an iconic range!  Artists were truly original back in the 80s!!

I still love the under-rated 'Waking Up With The House On Fire'. And war is still stupid!

4 hours ago, Beautiful Killer said:

Image result for huey lewis and the news sports

My WHOLE school loved Huey!! Hip to be square.

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Everyone loved Huey Lewis in the 80's. .  I used to have a massive crush on him and when he appeared at the American Music awards presenting with Madonna,  I thought they looked like the perfect couple :lmao:

@Rebel Heartbreaker  Do you remember that Madonna and Huey together at the American Music awards were the TV week pin up one week !  I had the poster on my wall. 

@Crux  Never heard of the Dooleys ! 

Related image

Yes, I remember! Huey Lewis and The News were big, big, big in Oz!! I absolutely do remember that TV Week pin-up. I had it on my bedroom wall!!

He was handsome in a bring-home-to-mum-and-dad kind of way.

BTW, Madonna was so beautiful and radiant at those awards. Swoon!

Love how Madonna looked on that night!! Has always been one of my favorite looks. 

I don't have a memory of this but apparently this was a favorite of mine at around 2 yrs:

ricky-skaggs-heartbroke-1982-s.jpg

My first memory of really loving music is when I would listen to my Mom's copy of:

Image result for michael jackson thriller

The first tape I remember wanting and actually having it bought just for me was:

Image result for true colors cyndi lauper

32 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Love how Madonna looked on that night!! Has always been one of my favorite looks. 

I don't have a memory of this but apparently this was a favorite of mine at around 2 yrs:

ricky-skaggs-heartbroke-1982-s.jpg

My first memory of really loving music is when I would listen to my Mom's copy of:

Image result for michael jackson thriller

The first tape I remember wanting and actually having it bought just for me was:

Image result for true colors cyndi lauper

When you're really young it is really hard to remember what was bought for you or belonged to another family member. I bought 'True Colours' when I was in high school. Still love it.

Love the Bucks Fizz inclusion! It was on heavy rotation when I was young. 

This was my first that was bought just for me! I wanted to be Morton! 

image.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Fever said:

image.jpeg

I wanted to BE WITH Morton!!!! Love this album.

5 hours ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

Celine, George, Michael and Madonna -- what an iconic range!  Artists were truly original back in the 80s!!

I still love the under-rated 'Waking Up With The House On Fire'. And war is still stupid!

It was such a bad song.:rotfl:

War, war is stupid and people are stupid
And love means nothing in some strange quarters
And I heard them banging on hearts and fingers
War

6 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

It was such a bad song.:rotfl:

And love means nothing in some strange quarters
And I heard them banging on hearts and fingers
War

At least we get Helen Terry wailing the word 'war'!

'The Medal Song' was ok, if memory serves me right.

5 minutes ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

At least we get Helen Terry wailing the word 'war'!

'The Medal Song' was ok, if memory serves me right.

It's been way too long since I listened to the album to remind me of it, but it seems to me that it was pretty mediocre as a whole and that it explained why their success stop so abruptly.  But I remember that my 9-y.o.-self was not impressed.

22 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

It's been way too long since I listened to the album to remind me of it, but it seems to me that it was pretty mediocre as a whole and that it explained why their success stop so abruptly.  But I remember that my 9-y.o.-self was not impressed.

My teenage self WANTED to love it, but I do remember feeling let down by its mediocrity (I think nostalgia for that time makes me think it was a much better album than it really was).

On 11/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, Crux said:

:lmao:

Great thread, Rebel Hearbreaker. That Nolan's cover is horrendous...but they did make some good bops.

My Sister also used to own that Bucks Fizz album on vinyl as well as the one below and I used to love them....

R-1864076-1289263000.jpeg.jpg

Do you remember "The Dooleys"?

519MdStbvsL.jpg

:rotfl:

Omg you know the Dooleys!

Can I just say Wanted is a tune! Very Abba-esque! I've got in my car 😂

As for albums, Abba's was one we got as a family that I remember although I was shocked at Benny and Frida snogging! 

queen-a-night-at-the-opera-cd-edicion-ja

MI0003404970.jpg

And by the way

#RespectForBucksFizz

Besides 'Madonna', other follow up cassettes got decidedly more cooler and include:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

22 hours ago, Fever said:

image.jpeg

I loved A-ha so much. They were the first pop concert I ever went to. Take on me I still consider one of the best songs from the 80's and the video clip is one of the greatest videos made.  

3 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Rebel Heartbreaker. Flashdance was such a great soundtrack.  Played it non stop. 

I still give it a burl! My only disappointment is the omission of 'Gloria' (from that emotional ice skating scene) from the OST. At least Laura was given another track on the album and in the movie.

And who can forget the other great soundtrack from then. God I had a crush on Kevin Bacon!! Played this cassette to death!!

Let's hear it for the boy!

image.jpeg