Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Je5u5

Why do you pay for music content you can just stream?

Recommended Posts

I stream music frequently throughout the day every day. I can’t even remember the last time I bought or even played an actual CD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I like physicals again CD+DVD.. I guess as nostalgic items. Went to a record store today and bought 5 cd singles for $5 all together. Felt nostalgic. Streaming is great for exploring new stuff or listen to things you wouldn't buy.. I guess it's like a try before you buy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 3:03 PM, frzndrwnwrld said:

I've never used streaming services.

Same!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 2:13 AM, rocknrolla said:

Wow, really, how do you guys even find new music without using it?

They don’t.

Most of them are stuck to Ray of Light :rotfl:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong. I have Spotify premium + I've had both Tidal and Deezer premium at some point but I still buy physical releases.

Most non-dedicated fans I know have completely replaced one thing with the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like buying physical releases even though I often stream. 

Just enjoy collecting because I love music. I still play CDs when I'm hanging in my living room.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest issue with streaming is still the sound quality - I can definitely hear the difference between MP3 audio (or AAC etc) and lossless audio.

So lossless streaming is the only option to go for me, and last time I checked it‘s still expensive as shit (20+ bucks per month)...unless there are cheaper services out there that I don‘t know of, in that case feel free to inform me :laugh:

Anyway, so what I currently do is - when I stumple upon new music and really like it, I either buy a lossless digital file (Qobuz, 7Digital etc) or, if it‘s the whole album I like, buy the CD.

Or download it from some ‚other‘ sites because I am a broke bitch more often than I‘d like to admit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Spotify premium. Last time I bought a physical copy was RHTcd and BluRay and the time before that was rebel heart deluxe édition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 10:03 PM, frzndrwnwrld said:

 I've never used streaming services.

LOL, this

On 12/23/2018 at 4:27 AM, Nonoka said:

Or download it from some ‚other‘ sites because I am a broke bitch more often than I‘d like to admit

...and this :chuckle:  

 

I do have an irrational fascination with vinyl though. IDK, I just love it. Sure, I only buy the albums that I really, REALLY like. There is no point in buying a record for 2 or 3 songs and then skip the fillers. 

I like the fact that most artists (even the newer ones) still release music on LPs and from what I've noticed vinyl has made a comeback (!?) which is unexpected, seeing how everyone nowadays is all about the digital format. The latest release I've bought as an LP is Bjork's Utopia, which comes on peach coloured vinyl and looks very pretty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joined Spotify yesterday!

The poor sound quality (on data saving settings) doesn't bother me but not being able to skip songs or play them in the order I want is a little irritating (unless you can and I just haven't figured out how)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About fifteen years ago, I converted my entire music collection (including vinyl, cassettes and CDs) into digital files and have an enormous digital collection of the music I've loved from my childhood to now, right at my fingertips. I continue to buy digital music (and CDs, always converting them) and add it to the collection. I've kept this collection and prefer it over streaming because I can play it any way I like, put the songs into any order or playlist I want, at any time. I will never have to worry about a service removing the songs I love or replacing my favorite versions with edits or remixes...it all boils down to being able to control my music listening just the way I always have. And I have so much of it, that if I tell it to only play songs I have not heard in a while, it could be months before I hear the same song again.

I only ever use streaming when I'm throwing a party and don't have time to build a playlist, want a break from the collection or am looking to discover new music (which I would then buy and add to my collection anyway.) I could never go streaming-only; I would miss out on all of the rare Madonna tracks, remixes and demos I've collected over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Priceless said:

About fifteen years ago, I converted my entire music collection (including vinyl, cassettes and CDs) into digital files and have an enormous digital collection of the music I've loved from my childhood to now, right at my fingertips. I continue to buy digital music (and CDs, always converting them) and add it to the collection. I've kept this collection and prefer it over streaming because I can play it any way I like, put the songs into any order or playlist I want, at any time. I will never have to worry about a service removing the songs I love or replacing my favorite versions with edits or remixes...it all boils down to being able to control my music listening just the way I always have. And I have so much of it, that if I tell it to only play songs I have not heard in a while, it could be months before I hear the same song again.

I only ever use streaming when I'm throwing a party and don't have time to build a playlist, want a break from the collection or am looking to discover new music (which I would then buy and add to my collection anyway.) I could never go streaming-only; I would miss out on all of the rare Madonna tracks, remixes and demos I've collected over the years.

I'm with you on all of this! It's all of these reasons why I could never go all streaming. 

I do like the idea of having no clutter in my home or on my computer but I just can't give up total control of my music collection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kurt420 said:

I'm with you on all of this! It's all of these reasons why I could never go all streaming. 

I do like the idea of having no clutter in my home or on my computer but I just can't give up total control of my music collection. 

I feel the same way about clutter! Once I converted my physical formats, I sold it all (except for the Madonna collection of course) to SecondSpin.com, made some cash back and freed myself from those awful CD shelves. Plus, with iTunes Match, I was able to upload it all to the cloud and now can enjoy my collection anywhere I like. And if you have a lower-quality track that matches one in the iTunes store, iTunes Match lets you download the higher-quality version to replace your crappy track. It really is a music hoarder's wet dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Priceless said:

I feel the same way about clutter! Once I converted my physical formats, I sold it all (except for the Madonna collection of course) to SecondSpin.com, made some cash back and freed myself from those awful CD shelves. Plus, with iTunes Match, I was able to upload it all to the cloud and now can enjoy my collection anywhere I like. And if you have a lower-quality track that matches one in the iTunes store, iTunes Match lets you download the higher-quality version to replace your crappy track. It really is a music hoarder's wet dream.

Oh nice!! I'm definitely gonna have to check iTunes Match out!! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rekha said:

Joined Spotify yesterday!

The poor sound quality (on data saving settings) doesn't bother me but not being able to skip songs or play them in the order I want is a little irritating (unless you can and I just haven't figured out how)

You have to pay for a membership for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Spotify Premium and obviously listen to music on Youtube. But I still buy CDs, DVDs and Vinyl. All albums that I like (pop, classic or whatever the genre) I end up buying. I see many advantages of streaming but at the same time I feel that streaming makes music worthless- despite the fact of beeing a musician myself and working for a record company. For me it is very important to "feel" the product and to own it on good quality, with a beautiful and valuable package. Before the "streaming revolution" I regularly bought CDs, then I made a "pause" and started downloading and streaming music, but then I rediscovered how important is to me to buy and own physical copies. Today I would say I found a balance.

Edited by Geiger83
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, runa said:

You have to pay for a membership for that

Thanks Runa. I thought that might be the case. I'm too stingy to pay so will just have to be patient😝😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 1:06 AM, madlover said:

I do both. I like the immediacy of streaming but I'll always favor buying a physical copy. I guess it could be attributed to nostalgia, it's the way I used to discover music when I was growing up in the 90's. I also believe in supporting the artist when the work is outstanding.

same for me

I'm using Apple Music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 7:23 PM, Kurt420 said:

Oh nice!! I'm definitely gonna have to check iTunes Match out!! Thanks!

You bet!! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing that bothers me is how streaming ruined the charts. Nowadays charts reflect what's popular in streaming services but then most people stream whatever is popular (top hits playlists and things like that) so there is little room for drastic movement in the charts. And then it becomes a dog-bites-tail cycle of lame where you have songs like "Girls Like You" lingering in the top 20 for TEN MONTHS and the songs in the top 10, for instance this week, have been charting an average of FOUR MONTHS. And that's taking into consideration the Cardi and Bruno song that debuts this week straight into the top 10.

I remember when a 4 month old song was already "old" in terms of popularity and people would've moved on to something else. Now they stay on top because people stream them and people stream them because they stay on top. Bad times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Another thing that bothers me is how streaming ruined the charts. Nowadays charts reflect what's popular in streaming services but then most people stream whatever is popular (top hits playlists and things like that) so there is little room for drastic movement in the charts. And then it becomes a dog-bites-tail cycle of lame where you have songs like "Girls Like You" lingering in the top 20 for TEN MONTHS and the songs in the top 10, for instance this week, have been charting an average of FOUR MONTHS. And that's taking into consideration the Cardi and Bruno song that debuts this week straight into the top 10.

I remember when a 4 month old song was already "old" in terms of popularity and people would've moved on to something else. Now they stay on top because people stream them and people stream them because they stay on top. Bad times.

If we're really being honest, chart success has always been highly corruptible. When radio was the biggest factor in chart success, the song rotation for major stations was determined by radio programmers who were often courted by the major record labels. Lots of exposure on radio led to high sales numbers, which equaled success on the charts.

Now that streaming is king, the playlists that drive those services are being curated by a much smaller group of people and the power is super-concentrated. And even more than radio programmers, these people have personal biases, are susceptible to bribes and have little or no checks on their authority. But the labels can now target them much more effectively because there are fewer of them. And just like Je5u5 says above, once they get their foot in the door, the artists that belong to those labels wind up staying on top for a longer period of time.

The whole thing is just depressing.

Edited by Priceless
Clarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can skip songs or play them in order if I use a desktop computer, with spotify free, , there are just occasional commercials. I can't on a smartphone, though, you only can skip 6 songs per hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 6:08 AM, runa said:

They don’t.

Most of them are stuck to Ray of Light :rotfl:

 

OMG :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 8:28 AM, Priceless said:

About fifteen years ago, I converted my entire music collection (including vinyl, cassettes and CDs) into digital files and have an enormous digital collection of the music I've loved from my childhood to now, right at my fingertips. I continue to buy digital music (and CDs, always converting them) and add it to the collection. I've kept this collection and prefer it over streaming because I can play it any way I like, put the songs into any order or playlist I want, at any time. I will never have to worry about a service removing the songs I love or replacing my favorite versions with edits or remixes...it all boils down to being able to control my music listening just the way I always have. And I have so much of it, that if I tell it to only play songs I have not heard in a while, it could be months before I hear the same song again.

I only ever use streaming when I'm throwing a party and don't have time to build a playlist, want a break from the collection or am looking to discover new music (which I would then buy and add to my collection anyway.) I could never go streaming-only; I would miss out on all of the rare Madonna tracks, remixes and demos I've collected over the years.

:shock: 100% yes to these.

You are really another me or I am another you. Wow. The "Can't Stop" post, and this. And we both agree that Madonna is too sophisticated for today's pop audience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 1:23 AM, Kurt420 said:

Oh nice!! I'm definitely gonna have to check iTunes Match out!! Thanks!

I iTunes Matched in 2012 and it mixed up masters when matching 80s / 90s albums, e.g. The Cure - Wish, most the album is the standard album master, however, the singles High and Friday I'm In Love are the 2001 remastered Greatest Hits version are really loud compared to the rest of the album, ruining the listening experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 5:14 PM, rocknrolla said:

I can skip songs or play them in order if I use a desktop computer, with spotify free, , there are just occasional commercials. I can't on a smartphone, though, you only can skip 6 songs per hour.

Only being able to skip 6 songs an hour is what is killing me、、、

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, Crystal Coffin said:

:shock: 100% yes to these.

You are really another me or I am another you. Wow. The "Can't Stop" post, and this. And we both agree that Madonna is too sophisticated for today's pop audience!

We must be kindred spirits! :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're mostly paying for the service. I'd rather own a physical copy, admire the cover art, booklet, read the inside notes and marvel at the packaging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×