Dolce and Gabbana cancels Shanghai fashion show amid racist ad row

horn

Dolce and Gabbana reportedly cancels Shanghai fashion show after racism accusations
Lucy Handley
Published 6:15 AM ET Tue, 20 Nov 2018

Italian fashion house Dolce and Gabbana reportedly canceled a fashion show in Shanghai after being accused of racism in its promotions for the event.

A series of three videos posted on Twitter and Instagram over the weekend showed a Chinese woman being told how to use chopsticks, but they caused outrage on social media with some accusing the fashion label of cultural insensitivity and racism. The films were designed to promote "The Great Show," a catwalk event to be held at Shanghai's Expo Center on Wednesday night.

But according to a report on industry website Business of Fashion, the show has been canceled, with guests being informed it will no longer go ahead. China Daily reported that celebrities including Zhang Ziyi, Li Binging and Wang Junkai had withdrawn their attendance from the show before it was pulled and said Dolce & Gabbana's Weibo account announced its cancelation.

The video series, entitled "Eating With Chopsticks," show a woman eating large plates of pizza, spaghetti and a giant Italian cannolo pastry, while a male voiceover tells her what to do.

But some people reacted angrily to them, with one writing "Orientalism is expressed so explicitly in this ad. It's very offensive to portrait all Chinese ppl (people) in such a stereotypical way." Another wrote "This is so stupid and culturally insensitive! Take down this video at once D&G!" and a third said: "This is racist, take it back."

Chinese news website Jing Daily reported that the films had been removed from social network Weibo, a report that CNBC has not been able to verify. Jing Daily also said that "Boycott Dolce" had been mentioned more than 18,000 times on Weibo.

This is not the first time the fashion house has attracted controversy. In 2015, the designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana said: "We oppose gay adoptions. The only family is the traditional one," attracting protests outside their London store.

The company has outlets in 25 cities in China, according to store listings on its website. Chinese luxury consumers account for over 500 billion yuan ($72 billion) in annual spending, representing almost a third of the global luxury market, according to a 2017 McKinsey report.

Dolce and Gabbana had not responded to CNBC's request for comment at the time of publication.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/20/dolce-and-gabbana-accused-of-racism-in-chinese-chopsticks-ads.html

57 minutes ago, karbatal said:

As I don't speak Chinese I don't understand the racist issue here, I find it more a misogynistic issue? 

What is true is that the campaign looks stupid as fuck???? 

My thoughts exactly. Stereotypes... surely but if people want to be offended, seems like the misogyny here is the bigger issue to go after. 

He refused to take down the IG until he realized 1/3 of his annual sales comes from China, and come out with some shitty excuses such as fake news & hack.

If you're really being hacked, you would've closed your IG immediately not wait till you'd released not 1 but 3 racist ad and pretended to be hacked.

If it wasn't someone posted the racist conversation, he would not close the IG. :rolleyes: 

14 hours ago, horn said:

He refused to take down the IG until he realized 1/3 of his annual sales comes from China, and come out with some shitty excuses such as fake news & hack.

If you're really being hacked, you would've closed your IG immediately not wait till you'd released not 1 but 3 racist ad and pretended to be hacked.

If it wasn't someone posted the racist conversation, he would not close the IG. :rolleyes: 

I don't think they are pretending the ads were part of the hack. Just the racist slurs via DM that I'm pretty sure were written by him.

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

I don't think they are pretending the ads were part of the hack. Just the racist slurs via DM that I'm pretty sure were written by him.

Based on Stefano's previous incident, I'm almost 100% sure it's him.

But $$$ speaks louder than anything, hence they have to find a shitty excuses to cover his "mistake".

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

Why is it that so many people from the fashion industry are either mysoginistic, racist, homophobic... 

Well it's an industry that tends to focus on the superficial so some people on it never care to educate themselves in other areas and try to become a better person in the process.

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

So true. Love that gif and it says it all. 

Their fashions are beautiful but the rubbish that keeps coming out of their mouths spoils it all completely. 

Totally

They should be contented and grateful for what they have, no way, he has to go and make comments on Selena Gomez, and so on, I don't get it

The funny thing is that he went on an IG detox spree in the past couple of months, then as soon as he's back he's putting his foot in it again. They are foolishly tarnishing their huge brand