Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, iasonas said:

I'm curious about her post about the beauty dildo selling out.

She said "I have to pay for videos". Like she is responsible for the budget of the promo. Is that the case? It is all so confusing. We know for sure that during the Warner years they paid for promo and videos. Was is just a joke or money does have to come out of her pocket due to the nature of the livenation deal? Could that explain the non traditional promo and complete lack of any airplay, advertising or any kind of traditional push whatsoever?

yes she has to pay hence the budged went down in recent years

but i do suspect NLF gave her some more money for GMAYL..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, iasonas said:

I'm curious about her post about the beauty dildo selling out.

She said "I have to pay for videos". Like she is responsible for the budget of the promo. Is that the case? It is all so confusing. We know for sure that during the Warner years they paid for promo and videos. Was is just a joke or money does have to come out of her pocket due to the nature of the livenation deal? Could that explain the non traditional promo and complete lack of any airplay, advertising or any kind of traditional push whatsoever?

That’s tragic if that’s the case. Way to sabotage your thriving career when you haven’t organized financing what has made you who you are...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I love the name magic for Madonna because I have always thought she makes pop music magic. Has that magical ingredient - so to speak - that makes her music so timeless, creative, memorable while also having mass appeal.   Very few artists have that type of " magic"  

LOVE TECHNICIAN: I always thought the term from the alternative lyrics to 'Erotica' suited her. But, MAGICIAN, I will buy.

Magic. Magic. Magic.

Though, I do think of our Livvy ~~ "You have to believe we are magic, nothing can stand in our way!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iasonas said:

I'm curious about her post about the beauty dildo selling out.

She said "I have to pay for videos". Like she is responsible for the budget of the promo. Is that the case? It is all so confusing. We know for sure that during the Warner years they paid for promo and videos. Was is just a joke or money does have to come out of her pocket due to the nature of the livenation deal? Could that explain the non traditional promo and complete lack of any airplay, advertising or any kind of traditional push whatsoever?

I think she was just mucking around.

Surely it is just that Interscope was so inept re promotion previously ?

The promotion of MDNA and Rebel Heart was beyond a joke but the thought of the undisputed Queen of Pop and biggest selling female star ever paying for own promotion is obscene.  If that is the case, it is almost akin to label sabotage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I think she was just mucking around.

Surely it is just that Interscope was so inept re promotion previously ?

The promotion of MDNA and Rebel Heart was beyond a joke but the thought of the undisputed Queen of Pop and biggest selling female star ever paying for own promotion is obscene.  If that is the case, it is almost akin to label sabotage. 

Well, she CAN afford it. 😜 Though, it is a disgrace if she has to pay for her own promos.

At this rate, Madonna will be selling records via Bandcamp!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sul8323 said:

Agreed.  There are so many great songs on the album.  I live for Gang Bang, I'm a Sinner, Some Girls, I Don't  Give A, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer and I Fucked Up.

Yes, I love those songs, I‘d just swap I’m a sinner with I’m Addicted though. I don’t know what it is with MDNA that it ranks so low in my personal album chart. Maybe there are too many songs I really and strongly don’t like, after all. GGW, GMAYL, TUTR, Superstar, most of them singles and supposedly signature songs... I cannot embrace the whole thing. 

But I also agree with @Dams that it’s her strongest album title since Confessions. The things an album called MDNA could have been, the potential! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

LOVE TECHNICIAN: I always thought the term from the alternative lyrics to 'Erotica' suited her. But, MAGICIAN, I will buy.

Magic. Magic. Magic.

Though, I do think of our Livvy ~~ "You have to believe we are magic, nothing can stand in our way!"

Love Techincian is a great name ! 

Magic by Olivia is an incredible song. Love the lyrics, especially "Planets align, so rare "  

@Rebel Heartbreaker. Did you see where Madonna tagged Olivia when David was singing Grease songs ?  :inlove: Olivia replied back. It warmed my heart totally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I‘ve grown to like MDNA as an album name but in general I hate it when artists call their albums after their names (repeatedly), like „Whitney Houston“ & „Just Whitney“ or „Britney“ and „Britney Jean“. It’s stupid and lazy. We almost have the same situation with „Madonna“ and „MDNA“ although I do think the wink to MDMA is clever. Then again, the music on the album doesn’t match this reference at all. She did the text talk with GHV2 already and I didn’t like it back then either. 

I would be absolutely fine if she calls her next album „Magic“. It’s a little uninspired and cheesy but it’s also memorable and punchy (as someone said already). I still think Killers would be a great album title as well but it’s hard to tell without knowing what the music will sound like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Plaything said:

I‘ve grown to like MDNA as an album name but in general I hate it when artists call their albums after their names (repeatedly), like „Whitney Houston“ & „Just Whitney“ or „Britney“ and „Britney Jean“. It’s stupid and lazy. We almost have the same situation with „Madonna“ and „MDNA“ although I do think the wink to MDMA is clever. Then again, the music on the album doesn’t match this reference at all. She did the text talk with GHV2 already and I didn’t like it back then either. 

I would be absolutely fine if she calls her next album „Magic“. It’s a little uninspired and cheesy but it’s also memorable and punchy (as someone said already). I still think Killers would be a great album title as well but it’s hard to tell without knowing what the music will sound like.

Agree totally. Hate album titles named after an artist, although can excuse a debut album - just. Anything after that though seems lazy and arrogant. 

Also don't like any artist using their own name in lyrics of songs. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Agree totally. Hate album titles named after an artist, although can excuse a debut album - just. Anything after that though seems lazy and arrogant. 

Also don't like any artist using their own name in lyrics of songs. 

 

Bitch I‘m Madonna is acceptable and iconic though :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I think she was just mucking around.

Surely it is just that Interscope was so inept re promotion previously ?

The promotion of MDNA and Rebel Heart was beyond a joke but the thought of the undisputed Queen of Pop and biggest selling female star ever paying for own promotion is obscene.  If that is the case, it is almost akin to label sabotage. 

No. Even WB times she complained the label didnt fund enough 2nd, 3rd videos from the same album.

And now she has to pay all herself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ashtangi74 said:

who sys she has to pay herself?

i thought that instagram comment clearly was her kind of humour..

I think it’s just joking. But maybe she took a jab at Interscope because maybe they signaled they’re rather play cheap this time around...Who knows. I just lost all faith in her representatives and deals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ashtangi74 said:

who sys she has to pay herself?

i thought that instagram comment clearly was her kind of humour..

I don't think it was a joke. I can imagine that Interscope pays only the first video with a bigger budget. That would explain why following videos usually look very cheap these days. Presumably Madonna paid the more expensive video for Ghosttown out of her own pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

I don't think it was a joke. I can imagine that Interscope pays only the first video with a bigger budget. That would explain why following videos usually look very cheap these days. Presumably Madonna paid the more expensive video for Ghosttown out of her own pocket.

Go back to The Making of Take a Bow MTV special, she says herself that you get an advance but the record company gets it back off you - or something to that effect. So since I saw that, it was always my understanding that the artist was at least partly responsible for contribution to financing videos. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plaything said:

I‘ve grown to like MDNA as an album name but in general I hate it when artists call their albums after their names (repeatedly), like „Whitney Houston“ & „Just Whitney“ or „Britney“ and „Britney Jean“. It’s stupid and lazy. We almost have the same situation with „Madonna“ and „MDNA“ although I do think the wink to MDMA is clever. Then again, the music on the album doesn’t match this reference at all. She did the text talk with GHV2 already and I didn’t like it back then either. 

I would be absolutely fine if she calls her next album „Magic“. It’s a little uninspired and cheesy but it’s also memorable and punchy (as someone said already). I still think Killers would be a great album title as well but it’s hard to tell without knowing what the music will sound like.

As long as it is ALL killer and NO filler.

Though, the word killers has a negative connotation for me. I know there is the group The Killers...but in a world of uncertainty mired with terrorism, violence against women (#metoo does NOTHING for women in countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh and India, for instance) and mass shootings, I would go for more uplifting title. We need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Love Techincian is a great name ! 

Magic by Olivia is an incredible song. Love the lyrics, especially "Planets align, so rare "  

@Rebel Heartbreaker. Did you see where Madonna tagged Olivia when David was singing Grease songs ?  :inlove: Olivia replied back. It warmed my heart totally. 

Missed that, but nice! 👍🏾

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lolo said:

I think it’s just joking. But maybe she took a jab at Interscope because maybe they signaled they’re rather play cheap this time around...Who knows. I just lost all faith in her representatives and deals. 

Me, too. We know Guy O got her bad deals when it comes to ACTUAL music!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I thought the 3 videos for Rebel Heart were all well done and all had care, money and thought behind them. 

I love them. But I can imagine she paid Ghosttown and Bitch out of her own pocket (Bitch may be sponsored by Tidal too). I wouldn't be surprised if the record companies finance only the first video with a bigger budget because the following videos serve primarily as promotion for the following tour. And the record company hardly earns anything on the tour (except for the rising album sales).

Probably Madonna says the truth when she says her MDNA products sales finance the next videos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Plaything said:

Bitch I‘m Madonna is acceptable and iconic though :lol:

As far as I am concerned, Madonna can name drop herself as much as she likes in her songs (Give Me All Your Luvin’, I Don’t Give A, etc) because she’s earnt it. She has a hugely famous name with instant recognition from the world’s public. Very few people have that amount of power. The lyrics can also become anthems for her fans, ala BIM, which I find to be great fun.

5 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Hopefully no more leaks this time. She's been through this way too many times.

Yeah. Hopefully the release goes off without a hitch. Let’s make this a big success for M. Show her how much we love her. 

And Madonna has MAGIC because she always casts a spell over me! :smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

Well, she CAN afford it. 😜 Though, it is a disgrace if she has to pay for her own promos.

At this rate, Madonna will be selling records via Bandcamp!

In traditional record deals, the label fronts the money for promo but this is a recoupable investment. So the artist doesn’t earn any royalties from selling the album until the record company has earned all their money back. Given how little record companies make on album sales, most artists have a very small promo budget. And given the recoupment scenario, the artist was always technically paying for the promo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elijah said:

That’s tragic if that’s the case. Way to sabotage your thriving career when you haven’t organized financing what has made you who you are...

It all depends on the contract signed. For example Kylie split costs and benefits of Golden 50/50 with BMG. Why not? You pay for promo, but you get the results later. 

Madonna has enough money to make three incredible videos and later get those revenues through a envigorated interest in her from people who will go to the concert. Maybe those times when the record companies were throwing money to artists are completely gone. If Madonna decides to get money through different ventures, good for her! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I thought the 3 videos for Rebel Heart were all well done and all had care, money and thought behind them. 

They are. Those who think she's only making an effort with the first video are stuck in 2008, tbqh. Girl Gone Wild was a great video too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...