Melbourne terrorist attack

Jazzy Jan

:gross:  Hate that this has happened in Melbourne.  Horrific and frightening terrorist attack happened in the city I live in and love so much. . 

Man killed by police in Melbourne terror attack

A man shot by police after stabbing three people in Melbourne's Bourke Street has died in hospital.

One of the stabbing victims died at the scene while two are in hospital.

Police shot the man in the chest after he charged at them with the knife.

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition and kept under guard before succumbing to his injuries.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told a press conference tonight the attack was being treated as an act of terrorism.

"From what we know of that individual, we are treating this as a terrorism incident."

He said the attacker was known to "federal intelligence authorities" as well as to Victoria Police.

"He's known to police mainly in respect to relatives he has that are certainly persons of interest to us.

"For operational matters we now have the counter-terrorism command and the homicide squad dealing with this matter, and there are ongoing investigations being conducted by the counter-terrorism command," he said.

Mr Ashton said police were conducting "security reassessments" in relation to several events in Melbourne scheduled for the weekend; an A-League soccer match between Melbourne Victory and Central Coast Marriners on Sunday, and Remembrance Day events.

"At this stage we're still encouraging people to go to those events, and it's highly likely we'll have additional police at all of those events," he said.

Witnesses told the ABC a car sped down Bourke Street and crashed after missing a tram.

The video shows the man attempting to slash police officers with a large knife before falling to the ground.

One witness said the driver got out of the car and threw "something like a bomb" inside before it erupted into flames.

An eyewitness said someone walked up to the alleged driver and was stabbed directly in the chest.

Videos from witnesses shows a car on fire in the area and bystanders using a shopping trolley and chair to confront the attacker.

Witnesses said the man began randomly stabbing people in the street. Two police officers were on the scene quickly and confronted the man.

Victoria Police said a bomb response unit had been called to the area and was currently making the scene safe

38 minutes ago, TearsInHeaven said:

horrible news.

@Jazzy Jan it seems like Melbourne is the place in Australia were these horrible acts seem to happen the most?

Yes.  It is dreadful to see these attacks in Melbourne. Such a great, vibrant busy city but this is just horrible. Really upsetting and awful. 

12 hours ago, TearsInHeaven said:

horrible news.

@Jazzy Jan it seems like Melbourne is the place in Australia were these horrible acts seem to happen the most?

The man that was killed in the attack was a well known and loved owner of a famous Italian cafe in Melbouurne. 

Hospitality legend victim of Melbourne terror attack

A MELBOURNE hospitality icon who ran a veteran cafe has been named as the victim of a fatal stabbing attack in the city’s CBD

THE staff of an iconic Melbourne cafe are in mourning today after a veteran of Melbourne’s cafe culture has been named as the victim of Friday’s brutal stabbing attack in the CBD.

The heartache of Bourke St. Nino Pangrazio mourning the loss of long time Pellegrinis business partner, Sisto Malaspina ⁦

DrmUegfUcAAf2dV.jpg

Malaspina was the owner of Pellegrini’s, a mainstay of Melbourne’s cafe culture. Malaspina has owned the cafe since 1974.

The cafe will be closed over the weekend as his staff mourn the loss.

Desperate efforts were made at scene to save Mr Malaspina by emergency workers, according to Markel Villasin, who worked at a KFC on Bourke Street, but he died at the scene.

Reading this article on Sisto that has been published previously.  :cries:  RIP Sisto, dreadful that you lost your life so tragically and violently.

You haven’t really experienced Melbourne until you’ve had pasta at Pellegrini’s

pellegrinis-outside.jpg?itok=n02AGRmE&mt

It's one of the city’s oldest cafes, and the plate of pasta will take you back to the 1950s.

Going to Pellegrini’s Espresso Bar, on Melbourne’s Bourke Street, feels like taking a time machine straight back to the 1950s. The neon sign (now heritage-listed), the decor and the menu haven’t changed since the restaurant opened in 1954.

Originally opened by the Pellegrini brothers, it has changed hands only once. Sisto Malaspina and Nino Pangrazio took over in 1974, and more than forty years later, you can still see them making coffee or chatting with customers from behind the counter.

What makes Pellegrini’s so special?

There’s no real physical menu at Pellegrini’s. There’s an old board hanging from the ceiling with an idea of what you can get, but if you really want to know what’s been cooking, you’ll have to ask. “The staff has to explain to you what’s on offer that day. There’s more of an involvement and soul that way,” explains Malaspina, who you can spot immediately among the staff wearing black and white, as he always wears his trademark colourful shirt and scarf.

Pellegrinis Sisto Malaspina

You can get certain pasta, like spaghetti Bolognese (the most popular), lasagne and spaghetti marinara daily, while others like carbonara, gnocchi and ricotta cannelloni are served only on certain days. They come sprinkled with parmesan and with a side of buttered bread. There’s also pizza and classic soup minestrone, but the pasta is where it’s at. It’s nothing fancy, just good, honest Italian home cooking.

And he’s still there almost every day. “I work my 70 hours a week as I did, 40, 45 years ago. It’s not as intensive, I don’t move as fast and I don’t take as many steps, but I still enjoy what I do. I feel needed,” he says. “I’ve been blessed with good health. I don’t feel any different now than I felt when I first started.” Pellegrini’s doesn't either, and that’s why we love the place so much.

Why only islam radicalises its followers??? I know evangelists are coockoo too, but you never hear about such atrocities committed by Christians/Jews or others? Is it cause of Mohamad or what?

Misinterpretation of the Qaran. Shame because a great majority of Muslims do not support this, in fact, are angry because they are using their names to make them look bad..

I was on Bourke Street very recently before it happened and they did it in front of one of my fave JB stores in Melbourne 😡 I'm glad the attacker is dead but am very scared about his wife being free. They should keep their religion in Syria instead of targeting and shoving down other people's faces.

2 hours ago, elijah said:

Why only islam radicalises its followers??? I know evangelists are coockoo too, but you never hear about such atrocities committed by Christians/Jews or others? Is it cause of Mohamad or what?

Some get radical and kill.

Other like the Christians feel superior and destroy whole countries. 

I don't think a WASP neocon church goer from the White House is better. 

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

❤️yeah, darling, but killing innocent people just like this, with terrorist acts, is the worst. It only happens to radical muslims from all the organised religions. Which means its not just a religion, but a political movement.

2 hours ago, Jitterbug said:

😡Misinterpretation of the Qaran.

NO. Do not talk of things you have no idea about and stop spreading lies. it's the STRICT and literal interpretation of the Quran and the Hadith, the life of Mohammad, that is causing this issues. He was the first one decapitating Jews and Christians and calling for Jihad. His followers are just replicating what he did which was extremely different to what Jesus or Buddha were doing or trying to achieve.

I do agree that the majority of Muslims is far from this mentality, actually the nicest people i know are Muslims colleagues and friends. Unfortunately they are not allowed to criticize their religion and to ask for change in their doctrine, hence why these episodes happen and will continue to happen.

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

ugh, que cabron. Typical spanish mentality. A Muslim went on a rampage and killed people and what you do? you criticize Christianity. It's because of people like you that the issue with Islamic doctrine will never be discussed. Read again your message, you openly criticize a religion that has nothing to do with what happened but say nothing about the religion followed by the assassin. cabron.

2 minutes ago, TearsInHeaven said:

NO. Do not talk of things you have no idea about and stop spreading lies. it's the STRICT and literal interpretation of the Quran and the Hadith, the life of Mohammad, that is causing this issues. He was the first one decapitating Jews and Christians and calling for Jihad. His followers are just replicating what he did which was extremely different to what Jesus or Buddha were doing or trying to achieve.

I do agree that the majority of Muslims is far from this mentality, actually the nicest people i know are Muslims colleagues and friends. Unfortunately they are not allowed to criticize their religion and to ask for change in their doctrine, hence why these episodes happen and will continue to happen.

Not exactly because there are quotes that say something along the lines of if you kill an innocent person then it is as if you killed the entire population and doing evil to solve an evil is forbidden to.

8 minutes ago, TearsInHeaven said:

Exactly. The core in Christianity and Islam is different really. Yes, Christianity has been hijacked many times (crusades, orthodoxy right now), but in reality Jesus said those who are without sin, cast the first stone. Mohammad ordered public stoning and his radical followers today dream of public stoning. Pretty different I must say.

1 hour ago, TearsInHeaven said:

ugh, que cabron. Typical spanish mentality. A Muslim went on a rampage and killed people and what you do? you criticize Christianity. It's because of people like you that the issue with Islamic doctrine will never be discussed. Read again your message, you openly criticize a religion that has nothing to do with what happened but say nothing about the religion followed by the assassin. cabron.

:lmao: 

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Exactly. The core in Christianity and Islam is different really. Yes, Christianity has been hijacked many times (crusades, orthodoxy right now), but in reality Jesus said those who are without sin, cast the first stone. Mohammad ordered public stoning and his radical followers today dream of public stoning. Pretty different I must say.

so true maybe people should read the Quran before speaking their mind

4 hours ago, elijah said:

❤️yeah, darling, but killing innocent people just like this, with terrorist acts, is the worst. It only happens to radical muslims from all the organised religions. Which means its not just a religion, but a political movement.

In Spain it happened for 30 years with separatists. They killed one thousand people, many of them children and they were Christian. The same with IRA in Ireland. 

About radicalisation, there's A LOT more probabilities that a Muslim radicalises, but there's A LOT more probabilities that a white Christan country destroys a whole country.

3 hours ago, TearsInHeaven said:

Never in your life refer to me in those terms, understood? You're reported for being such a horrible poster and insult me and my whole country. Block me and never in your life speak to me here.

43 minutes ago, karbatal said:

In Spain it happened for 30 years with separatists. They killed one thousand people, many of them children and they were Christian. The same with IRA in Ireland. 

About radicalisation, there's A LOT more probabilities that a Muslim radicalises, but there's A LOT more probabilities that a white Christan country destroys a whole country.

Yes, but thats political movements, not religions. The Basques didn't do those atrocities in the name of God. Thats why I say islam is pretty much a political movement, because it aims to regulate everyday life, civil life, law, marriage, family life, unlike Christianity.

12 minutes ago, elijah said:

Yes, but thats political movements, not religions. The Basques didn't do those atrocities in the name of God. Thats why I say islam is pretty much a political movement, because it aims to regulate everyday life, civil life, law, marriage, family life, unlike Christianity.

I don't feel we are more pacifist, sorry. It's true though that an individual person is more likely to radicalise if he or she is a Muslim. It doesn't mean though that all Muslims are prone to radicalise. It's very important to stress that because that idea is one of the reasons behind the lack of empathy and solidarity towards refugees nowadays in the EU.

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I don't feel we are more pacifist, sorry. It's true though that an individual person is more likely to radicalise if he or she is a Muslim. It doesn't mean though that all Muslims are prone to radicalise. It's very important to stress that because that idea is one of the reasons behind the lack of empathy and solidarity towards refugees nowadays in the EU.

Well, yes, when you are too religious - muslim, Christian, Jew, its never cute. My point was that there is reason to consider islam political movement, because Quran tries to regulate civil life unlike Christianity, where spiritual and civil life are clearly separated.

33 minutes ago, elijah said:

Well, yes, when you are too religious - muslim, Christian, Jew, its never cute. My point was that there is reason to consider islam political movement, because Quran tries to regulate civil life unlike Christianity, where spiritual and civil life are clearly separated.

Yes. I agree that extremist believers of Islam need something similar to our French Revolution and start a new era of enlightenment with civil society separated from religion. Sadly some people forget that Muslims are the first victims of extremism. We never choose where we are born. And many people from Islamic countries try to scape from death penalties or unfair laws and only meet a cold wall in blocs like the EU.

7 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Yes. I agree that extremist believers of Islam need something similar to our French Revolution and start a new era of enlightenment with civil society separated from religion. Sadly some people forget that Muslims are the first victims of extremism. We never choose where we are born. And many people from Islamic countries try to scape from death penalties or unfair laws and only meet a cold wall in blocs like the EU.

Cold wall in the EU? Millions of refugees have been accepted in Germany, Sweden, Norway. Pretty much this is the reason for the rise of the right in Europe. Meanwhile 0 refugees are accepted in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar. Apart from EU, Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan have done a lot to help the refugees.

10 minutes ago, elijah said:

Cold wall in the EU? Millions of refugees have been accepted in Germany, Sweden, Norway. Pretty much this is the reason for the rise of the right in Europe. Meanwhile 0 refugees are accepted in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar. Apart from EU, Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan have done a lot to help the refugees.

I feel they've been mostly accepted because they got en masse and countries couldn't stop them. EU countries are not even fulfilling their obligations regarding asylum.

9 hours ago, TearsInHeaven said:

You can argue without making direct personal attacks on forum members.