MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedey

Mother of all horrors: the idea of a joint Madonna and U2 tour

Actually their fans are not that different when they play their hits... middle class over 40 for both

I like the joint tour idea! Lol, really, I like both, and there are some U2 songs that would be nice to listen in M's voice. The ground beneath her feet comes to my mind! 

It would never work. Bono and Madge both have egos that they'd demand to be the closing number or else be seen as the "opening act" for the other, and a closing duet would be awful.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:27 AM, Confessit said:

U2 might continue to be a huge touring act but they are not legends in the field like Madonna.

I don’t think U2 are the same to rock music that Madonna is to pop music.

It wouldn’t be a good match.

I disagree here. U2 is as big in rock circles as Madonna is in pop. Their influence has been widely acknowledged from most bands that came out in their wake and their classic-era hits are inescapable on rock radio. 

I think if anything, along with Madonna, they were one of the few acts that survived the early 90s purge of anything that seemed too 1980s. 

Madonna is too old for such Toir. It would have been possible in 2008-2009 but not anymore..

On 3 November 2018 at 1:56 AM, LoudinTrott said:

I disagree here. U2 is as big in rock circles as Madonna is in pop. Their influence has been widely acknowledged from most bands that came out in their wake and their classic-era hits are inescapable on rock radio. 

I think if anything, along with Madonna, they were one of the few acts that survived the early 90s purge of anything that seemed too 1980s. 

I agree. People may not personally like U2 but they are proably the biggest and most popular band from the past 30 years.  They have also sustained touring glory through decades - touring regularly as Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and the Rolling Stones have.  That is something in itself - to sustain interest and demand on tour while touring regularly. 

They can do small sets going back and forth between both acts and open and close with a collaboration (two songs especially written, recorded and released as a warm up for the tour) so no ego gets bruised. Their collaboration with Green Day, The Saints are Coming was pretty decent, for instance.

Make the sets hit heavy taking stuff from all of their long careers so it's not merely an 80s revival thing it.

Let's be honest. GP would go as crazy for With or Without You, One or Elevation as they would for Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer or Music. And would likely definitely become the highest grossing tour of all time.

It wouldnt lend itself to a fun pun title like the Madonna + Prince tour would though.

Actually, this sounds like a lot of fun! Concert ticket sales seem to be down for all veteran acts. Getting a 2-for-one deal would be great economically for concert promoters. But like others have said, they have very different fan bases. Also, the logistics of it all would be a mess.