Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HolidayGuy

2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Recommended Posts

Here's the rundown of this year's nominees, in terms of years they've been eligible and how many nominations they've had thus far:

* The Cure-  16th year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Def Leppard-  15th year of eligibility; First nomination
* Devo- 17th year of eligibility; First nomination
* Janet Jackson- 12th year of eligibility; Third nomination
* John Prine- 23rd year of eligibility; First nomination
* Kraftwerk- 24th year of eligibility; Fifth nomination
* LL Cool J- 10th year of eligibility; Fifth nomination
* MC5- 28th year of eligibility; Fourth nomination
* Radiohead- Second year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Rage Against the Machine- Second year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Roxy Music- 22nd year of eligibility; First nomination
* Rufus featuring Chaka Khan- 20th year of eligibility; Third nomination (Khan had two solo nominations in recent years)
* Stevie Nicks- 13th year of eligibility; First nomination (an inductee as part of Fleetwood Mac)
* Todd Rundgren- 24th year of eligibility; First nomination
* The Zombies- 30th year of eligibility; Fourth nomination

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great names, beautiful names.

 

anyway, I’m starting to become scared of who they will start inducting from the late 90s/2000s.  I mean, how many acts from this period are truly groundbreaking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roxy, Chaka, Stevie & The Cure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the hell isn’t Stevie Nicks in there already !?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's abominable that Stevie Nicks isn't in there for her solo work. She's an absolute trail blazer and all around rock GODDESS. 

Roxy Music, the Cure, Chaka Khan, LL Cool J. 

And what about Donna fucking Summer? I don't believe she's in there. Another glaring absence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KalamazooJay said:

And what about Donna fucking Summer? I don't believe she's in there. Another glaring absence. 

She was inducted years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Confessit said:

How the hell isn’t Stevie Nicks in there already !?!

She is... as a member of Fleetwood Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nightvision said:

She is... as a member of Fleetwood Mac

Yes but she deserves to be in there in we own merit I meant.

Her solo contributions are incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My choices

* The Cure
* Kraftwerk
* Radiohead
* Rage Against the Machine
* Stevie Nicks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Yes but she deserves to be in there in we own merit I meant.

Her solo contributions are incredible.

As is her work with the band!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very happy if Radiohead, Kraftwerk and The Cure get inducted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radiohead, The Cure, Kraftwerk, RATM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Janet Jackson- I know it's an unpopular opinion around here but she had a 15 yr streak of hits that can only be rivaled by the biggest of the big (MJ, Madonna, Beatles, Elvis etc). No, she doesn't have Madonna numbers, but who does? She still has a loyal fan base that will pay to see her live and of course as recently as 2015 is releasing new music. Time for Janet to get her props.

Radiohead- Duh! Why in the hell weren't they inducted last year?? To me they're one of those acts that should be guaranteed first year.....alas, wasn't to be......they need to get in this year. Easily one of the most influential bands of the last 25 yrs.

Kraftwerk- Godfather's of electronic music. They've been eligible for almost a quarter of a century, it's a crime that these innovators haven't been inducted yet. If electronic music in general were more respected, they prob would've gotten in within first few years of eligibility. 

The Zombies- Maybe not quite Beatles or Stones status but they had some good tunes! They've been eligible for 30 yrs so time seems right. Would be nice to have an act from the earlier part of the rock era inducted among the "newer" acts.

Stevie Nicks- Stevie checks all the boxes. For the purists, she's definitely "rock and roll". She's one of the best songwriters of all time and a compelling, intense, live performer. Not to mention one of the most instantly recognizable voices of all time. Basically, she's a Queen Of Life and deserves to be inducted as a solo artist.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Foolio said:

She was inducted years ago.

Year after she f'king died! :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cure, Janet and Stevie all deserve it this year. Radiohead are terrible (unpopular opinion?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LifeBegins1 said:

Janet for the win!

:janetflop:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radiohead!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

desperate whornet. She never  goes away. A big  black madonna  wannabe career-wise.

Edited by veroelectronica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

And what about Donna fucking Summer? I don't believe she's in there. Another glaring absence. 

She was inducted posthumously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rooting for Chaka, Stevie, and Rage Against the Machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NewYorkCam

I'm not a big Janet fan, but she deserves to be inducted eventually .. if not this year, sometime soon.

Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, and The Cure should definitely get in this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

* The Cure-  16th year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Def Leppard-  15th year of eligibility; First nomination
* Kraftwerk- 24th year of eligibility; Fifth nomination
* Radiohead- Second year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Rage Against the Machine- Second year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Stevie Nicks- 13th year of eligibility; First nomination (an inductee as part of Fleetwood Mac)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

* The Cure-  16th year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Def Leppard-  15th year of eligibility; First nomination
* Devo- 17th year of eligibility; First nomination
* Kraftwerk- 24th year of eligibility; Fifth nomination
* Radiohead- Second year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Rage Against the Machine- Second year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Roxy Music- 22nd year of eligibility; First nomination
 

these would by my choices, in my opinion of course.... I may have missed some artists because I am not acquainted with their work.... Definitely not sure about Janet, because she wasn't able to sustain a career, so not sure if that makes her the right choice.... and I am definitely on the fence about Stevie Nicks as a solo artist.... she is definitely an icon, but more so as part of Fleetwood Mac than a solo artist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Janet probably should be, based upon her discography.  BUT. ..her secret husband co wrote many of her hits, so she's not really a songwriter, vocalist, musician, producer.  She's not much of a performer anymore.  She was absolutely nothing without Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, maybe they should be voted in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 6:01 PM, acko said:

Roxy, Chaka, Stevie & The Cure.

Seconded. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StrawberryBounce12 said:

Rooting for Janet, Stevie, LL Cool J, Rufus, and The Cure to get in this year.

You seriously think she deserves to be inducted over Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine or Def Leppard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 12:38 AM, Kurt420 said:

Janet Jackson- I know it's an unpopular opinion around here but she had a 15 yr streak of hits that can only be rivaled by the biggest of the big (MJ, Madonna, Beatles, Elvis etc). No, she doesn't have Madonna numbers, but who does? She still has a loyal fan base that will pay to see her live and of course as recently as 2015 is releasing new music. Time for Janet to get her props.

Radiohead- Duh! Why in the hell weren't they inducted last year?? To me they're one of those acts that should be guaranteed first year.....alas, wasn't to be......they need to get in this year. Easily one of the most influential bands of the last 25 yrs.

Kraftwerk- Godfather's of electronic music. They've been eligible for almost a quarter of a century, it's a crime that these innovators haven't been inducted yet. If electronic music in general were more respected, they prob would've gotten in within first few years of eligibility. 

The Zombies- Maybe not quite Beatles or Stones status but they had some good tunes! They've been eligible for 30 yrs so time seems right. Would be nice to have an act from the earlier part of the rock era inducted among the "newer" acts.

Stevie Nicks- Stevie checks all the boxes. For the purists, she's definitely "rock and roll". She's one of the best songwriters of all time and a compelling, intense, live performer. Not to mention one of the most instantly recognizable voices of all time. Basically, she's a Queen Of Life and deserves to be inducted as a solo artist.

 

Was going to post my choices but they’re basically this 👆. And nice to see the Zombies getting a mention. Their album Odyssey and Oracle is a gem for those who haven’t heard of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×