Brazil: Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro

Camacho

On 10/30/2018 at 1:07 AM, Humberto77rj said:

I am so, so afraid. I live in Rio de Janeiro, am an actor and writer and he is about to take down the Ministry of Culture. I'm also gay and there has been lot's of us already being beaten on the streets.

I don't want to leave my house. I'm scared, so scared. Thinking of going to Urugay, Portugal or France. My mom and I, we cannot stay here. This really might be the end of an era of people feeling proud of who they are. 

I'm so sorry to hear this. Leave if you must. Don't feel you need to stay there to "fight for your own country" or any of that bullshit. Your country let you down. Your safety comes first.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Would like to also read the views of our members from Brazil on this thread.  Always important to read the views and reactions of people in the country itself that is being discussed. 

It is the worst possible situation ever. I feel so depressed that i can’t even talk about it. Have you ever fear for your life? This is how we LGBTQ+ are feeling here with this new tyrannical theocratic regime. Our only hope is that the world be aware that Brazil has fallen into the hands of fascism and we are in grave danger.

5 hours ago, Nessie said:

It is the worst possible situation ever. I feel so depressed that i can’t even talk about it. Have you ever fear for your life? This is how we LGBTQ+ are feeling here with this new tyrannical theocratic regime. Our only hope is that the world be aware that Brazil has fallen into the hands of fascism and we are in grave danger.

We disagreed  many times over the years, @Nessie but I hope you stay safe. Be careful ! 

5 hours ago, Nessie said:

So sorry Nessie. Dreadful that you are feeling like this in your own country due to this frightening fascist regime.  So shocking that this government has got in power in Brazil.  

So sorry to hear this from our fellow Brazilian membeed. Lets hope his ideas are not translated into reality.

On 11/7/2018 at 2:50 PM, runa said:

We disagreed  many times over the years, @Nessie but I hope you stay safe. Be careful ! 

Thank you @runa. Its really depressing how things are deteriorating very fast here. I have even considered to move out of this country, but for now i will stay and see what happens when he officially assumes the presidency in January. We can only hope that all his strong words against minorities are just rethorical, but what worries me the most is the people that are composing his government, he is puting in charge a mix of military personal and a lot of religous fundamentalists, its a recipe of a disaster...

On 11/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

So sorry Nessie. Dreadful that you are feeling like this in your own country due to this frightening fascist regime.  So shocking that this government has got in power in Brazil.  

@Jazzy Jan its a situation we could never have imagine just a few years ago. Its scary how society can plunge to fascism that quickly and makes me wonder if it has always been there... just waiting for the right time to surface. It seems this is some kind of a world fenomenon happening, people are in search of a saviour and looking for enemies everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Thank you @runa. Its really depressing how things are deteriorating very fast here. I have even considered to move out of this country, but for now i will stay and see what happens when he officially assumes the presidency in January. We can only hope that all his strong words against minorities are just rethorical, but what worries me the most is the people that are composing his government, he is puting in charge a mix of military personal and a lot of religous fundamentalists, its a recipe of a disaster...

The writting is on the wall, it's definitely gonna be a dictatorship..

This is a dream of many years from the powers that be. Brazil is too rich, and the people too ignorant.

Every single country that has riches, like oil and metals, gets treated badly because of it. Was just a matter of time. The bad management of PT was the setting piece for an elected dictator to come along. I'm brazilian so I'm very much afraid.. I can't just go live in another country since my whole life is here.

22 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

So sorry to hear this from our fellow Brazilian membeed. Lets hope his ideas are not translated into reality.

We can only hope that it's just rhetorical... but even if he doesn't drag our civil rights through the mud like he has said many times over, the damage has already been done because many people are feeling empowered to openly discriminate minorities...

1 hour ago, Dany Targaryen said:

This is a dream of many years from the powers that be. Brazil is too rich, and the people too ignorant.

Every single country that has riches, like oil and metals, gets treated badly because of it. Was just a matter of time. The bad management of PT was the setting piece for an elected dictator to come along. I'm brazilian so I'm very much afraid.. I can't just go live in another country since my whole life is here.

I have a feeling that this is not just a coincidence...

The embryo of this brazilian fascist movement come from June 2013 massive protests, at that very point people took the streets to demonstrate against the political system headed by the left party. The right have hijacked that movement and gradually radicalized the people in hope to win the 2014 ellection, but that effort didn't work as expected and the left won again the presidency that year, so the right intensified even more the propaganda against the left by using a massive scandal of corruption to undermine the government. The president at that time Dilma Rousseff was impeached and the leader of the left workers' party Lula is jailed. This painful process paved the way of the rise of the far-right.

Besides those internal circunstances, the crisis on Venezuela have massively intensified. Trump was ellected on the US and the threat of war is looming South America right now. It can't be just coincidence that Jair Bolsonaro won the presidency with the approval hand of Steve Bannon, the man behind the Trump election. The Trump administration have made some kind of a deal with the brazilian far-right to put in place a military subservient government in Brazil, because they have already foreseen a very likely intervention on Venezuela to remove the dictator Nicolas Maduro from power, and also they want to break Brazil from the BRICS, undermining China and Russia from the global geopolitical sphere.

1 hour ago, Nessie said:

@Jazzy Jan its a situation we could never have imagine just a few years ago. Its scary how society can plunge to fascism that quickly and makes me wonder if it has always been there... just waiting for the right time to surface. It seems this is some kind of a world fenomenon happening, people are in search of a saviour and looking for enemies everywhere.

Nessie,  it is so dreadful.  I can only imagine how you would be feeling and feel so sorry that you are going through this in Brazil.  Fascism creeps up deadly and slowly without people realizing properly and fascists know how to manipulate people and society. .  Then when fascism really shows it's true ugly side, it is so quick with the gaining of power and many people wish they had seen it earlier for what it was and what it was leading to. . I hope the people in Brazil will be able to counteract and defeat this.  

1 hour ago, Nessie said:

The embryo of this brazilian fascist movement come from June 2013 massive protests, at that very point people took the streets to demonstrate against the political system headed by the left party. The right have hijacked that movement and gradually radicalized the people in hope to win the 2014 ellection, but that effort didn't work as expected and the left won again the presidency that year, so the right intensified even more the propaganda against the left by using a massive scandal of corruption to undermine the government. The president at that time Dilma Rousseff was impeached and the leader of the left workers' party Lula is jailed. This painful process paved the way of the rise of the far-right.

Besides those internal circunstances, the crisis on Venezuela have massively intensified. Trump was ellected on the US and the threat of war is looming South America right now. It can't be just coincidence that Jair Bolsonaro won the presidency with the approval hand of Steve Bannon, the man behind the Trump election. The Trump administration have made some kind of a deal with the brazilian far-right to put in place a military subservient government in Brazil, because they have already foreseen a very likely intervention on Venezuela to remove the dictator Nicolas Maduro from power, and also they want to break Brazil from the BRICS, undermining China and Russia from the global geopolitical sphere.

You said it so eloquently. You're absolutely right. This is not a coincidence.

I just wish I could leave the country, but my family is here, my everything is here. I just hope it isn't as bad as we're thinking in the end.

I painfully voted for Haddad, not because I like the left, but out of desperation..now more than ever people need to push back, like north americans are doing to trump. We can't let this Bolsonaro figure do whatever he wants..

2 hours ago, Dany Targaryen said:

Dany Targaryen,  So sad to read how afraid you are with this government gaining power. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 2:37 PM, Nessie said:

My two cents, and comparing Brazil to Mexico, where literally the opposite happened... 

I was in Brazil in 2013 during the protests. It was my first time in Brazil. I had recently moved to Mexico from the US, so that was kind of my marker of comparison, since Latin American countries are always compared to each other.

Brazil was, according to the world, the future of Latin America. BRIC this, BRIC that. Brazilians talked about Brazil no longer being poor. Constantly talked about how they were ahead of other Latin American countries. Everything was amazing in Brazil (according to the world), and I was expecting to see that. 

But then I went to Brazil, and the reality was completely different. it was extremely dangerous, dirty (downtown Sao Paulo is the scariest place I've ever been to), so much corruption, so much violence, a type of poverty I would've never imagined in such a so-called "powerful" and "rich" country, astronomical inflation, protectionist laws that were driving up the prices of absolutely everything, etc., etc.. I saw a beautiful country, but with A LOT of problems, and a blind population who somehow were led to believe that everything was amazing because they had nothing to compare their country to. 

I think because of this blindness, all of these problems reached a boiling point without most people even noticing it and BAM the solution to these problems is this disgusting monster that was just sworn into office.

16 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

My two cents, and comparing Brazil to Mexico, where literally the opposite happened... 

I was in Brazil in 2013 during the protests. It was my first time in Brazil. I had recently moved to Mexico from the US, so that was kind of my marker of comparison, since Latin American countries are always compared to each other.

Brazil was, according to the world, the future of Latin America. BRIC this, BRIC that. Brazilians talked about Brazil no longer being poor. Constantly talked about how they were ahead of other Latin American countries. Everything was amazing in Brazil (according to the world), and I was expecting to see that. 

But then I went to Brazil, and the reality was completely different. it was extremely dangerous, dirty (downtown Sao Paulo is the scariest place I've ever been to), so much corruption, so much violence, a type of poverty I would've never imagined in such a so-called "powerful" and "rich" country, astronomical inflation, protectionist laws that were driving up the prices of absolutely everything, etc., etc.. I saw a beautiful country, but with A LOT of problems, and a blind population who somehow were led to believe that everything was amazing because they had nothing to compare their country to. 

I think because of this blindness, all of these problems reached a boiling point without most people even noticing it and BAM the solution to these problems is this disgusting monster that was just sworn into office.

OMG. Thats horrible AND educating. I haven't been to Brazil myself but I read in National Geographic this article like 4-5 years ago where they were saying that then Brazil was on the brink to make it and turn into one of the biggest players in the world UNLESS something happened... like it has happened each time. And they had this retrospect starting 120 years ago when Brazil was expected also to get ahead of Australia and Canada in the late 19th century then some political unfavourable changes were happening. And that expectation and the unfavourable reality kicked in a lot of times.

However I m still appalled they chose this horrible person. Its like the world is intend to push itself into another war or crisis or other way of destruction. It feels horrible like the 30ties. The crazies get more power.

11 minutes ago, elijah said:

OMG. Thats horrible AND educating. I haven't been to Brazil myself but I read in National Geographic this article like 4-5 years ago where they were saying that then Brazil was on the brink to make it and turn into one of the biggest players in the world UNLESS something happened... like it has happened each time. And they had this retrospect starting 120 years ago when Brazil was expected also to get ahead of Australia and Canada in the late 19th century then some political unfavourable changes were happening. And that expectation and the unfavourable reality kicked in a lot of times.

However I m still appalled they chose this horrible person. Its like the world is intend to push itself into another war or crisis or other way of destruction. It feels horrible like the 30ties. The crazies get more power.

This is probably the most shocking and depressing thing I witnessed: 

Inside Crackland: the open-air drug market that São Paulo just can’t kick

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/nov/27/inside-crackland-open-air-crack-market-sao-paulo

Besides being afraid for my safety, it was so sad to see this (and so many other things), juxtaposed with a country living in a fantasy. 

I left Brazil feeling a sense of despair, extremely disappointed, and unfortunately, it's super scary and my heart breaks for Brazilians, my ex boyfriend who lives over there, and all of the lovely friends I've made, but none of this surprises me. 

10 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

This is probably the most shocking and depressing thing I witnessed: 

Inside Crackland: the open-air drug market that São Paulo just can’t kick

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/nov/27/inside-crackland-open-air-crack-market-sao-paulo

Besides being afraid for my safety, it was so sad to see this (and so many other things), juxtaposed with a country living in a fantasy. 

I left Brazil feeling a sense of despair, extremely disappointed, and unfortunately, it's super scary and my heart breaks for Brazilians, my ex boyfriend who lives over there, and all of the lovely friends I've made, but none of this surprises me. 

OMG. I never knew about Crackland! Its so shocking there are hundreds of ppl there laying drugged and in the very centre of the city!

Very sad to read this thread and realize that I live in here. I love my Brazil, but I wish could go away from here. We can't go to shopping anymore without concerne about the violence. We need to negate our sexual orientation because people is hostil and wish our death. I can't go away now, but when I got enough money, I don't even think twice to go. 

• 2 months later...

https://nyti.ms/2TypRTy

Brazil’s Culture Wars Make a Graphic Appearance in Bolsonaro’s Twitter Feed

By Ernesto Londoño

March 6, 2019

RIO DE JANEIRO — As millions of Brazilians enjoyed the last few hours of Carnival, Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil’s far-right president, denounced what he said was the debauchery of the festivities, and posted a video on Twitter that he presented as graphic proof.

“I don’t feel comfortable showing this, but we have to expose the truth so the people can be aware,” the president wrote alongside a video he posted that showed one man urinating on another in public. “This is what many street parties during Carnival have turned into.”

The video shows a man, wearing a black jockstrap, dancing on what appears to be a bus stop. At one point a second man urinates on the head of the man in the jockstrap. Mr. Bolsonaro urged his 3.4 million Twitter followers to draw their own conclusions and comment on the video.

Although Mr. Bolsonaro said the video represented a kind of behavior that is increasingly common during Carnival — a cherished, if hedonistic and boozy, cultural institution in Brazil — the reactions of Brazilians who disagreed poured in.

“You are pathetic,” Sen. Humberto Costa responded to the president on Twitter, noting that many of this year’s Carnival revelers had parodied and roasted Mr. Bolsonaro with their chants and costumes. “The whole of Brazil is on the streets opposing you. This Carnival made that clear.”

The political scientist Mara Telles suggested that the president’s post may have violated the law that bars elected officials from acting in a manner that is “incompatible with the dignity, honor and decorum of the office.”

The journalist Fábio Pannunzio scolded Mr. Bolsonaro for exposing his 6-year-old granddaughter and an untold number of other Brazilian children to the video, demanding, “I want to see how the president of the nation will explain what they saw.” He added, “You need medical help urgently.”

To be sure, Mr. Bolsonaro got plenty of attaboy replies from staunch supporters.

“Congratulations president for denouncing a crime of indecency,” a Twitter user named Marcos Teixeira wrote. “The police should have arrested those lowlifes. Debauchery must be contained to private places.”

The street parties known as blocos, which the president took aim at, tend to be rowdy affairs. There are plenty of sexually suggestive costumes and no shortage of public displays of affection. But the scene Mr. Bolsonaro highlighted would be an aberration if it in fact occurred during a recent bloco.

It was not clear where Mr. Bolsonaro found the video, where it was filmed or when. Press officers at the presidential office said the president spent the Carnival holiday in his official residence, but did not answer questions about the video.

But here’s a more profound one: What does this all tell us about the onset of the Bolsonaro era?

For starters, it’s become evident that Mr. Bolsonaro is no less trigger-happy and impulsive with his social media accounts than he was as a candidate. Aides and associates have expressed unease that as president he continues to conduct business over WhatsApp.

Perhaps more significantly, the post signals that Mr. Bolsonaro sees value in stoking societal debates over sexual orientation and morality that turbocharged his rise to power.

As a candidate, Mr. Bolsonaro came under scrutiny for a long list of remarks disparaging women, blacks, gay men and indigenous people. One of the most effective — albeit unfounded — messages of his campaign was that the rival leftist Workers’ Party had plans to sexualize children.

Malu Gaspar, a journalist at Piauí magazine, said she was dumbfounded and saddened by the Twitter post and the controversy it set off. At a time when investors are trying to gauge whether Mr. Bolsonaro’s Brazil is a worthwhile bet, incidents like these are sure to undermine confidence in the country and turn Brazil into a punch line, she said.

“It’s embarrassing that everyone wakes up talking about how the president of Brazil posted a video of someone peeing on someone else,” Ms. Gaspar said in an interview. “I think this diminishes the presidency.”

On Wednesday morning, some of the trending hashtags on Twitter in Brazil included #ImpeachmentBolsonaro, #GoldenShowerPresident and #BolsonaroTemRazão, which means “Bolsonaro is right.”

One of those seems to have stumped Brazil’s leader.

“What is a golden shower?” Mr. Bolsonaro asked his followers in a message posted shortly before 7:30 a.m.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:07 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Nessie,  it is so dreadful.  I can only imagine how you would be feeling and feel so sorry that you are going through this in Brazil.  Fascism creeps up deadly and slowly without people realizing properly and fascists know how to manipulate people and society. .  Then when fascism really shows it's true ugly side, it is so quick with the gaining of power and many people wish they had seen it earlier for what it was and what it was leading to. . I hope the people in Brazil will be able to counteract and defeat this.  

THIS!!!!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...