Brazil: Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro

Camacho

https://abcnews.go.com/International/brazilian-presidential-elections-trump-candidate-womens-votes/story?id=58313975

In Brazilian presidential elections, Trump-like candidate gets women's votes

By AICHA EL HAMMAR CASTANO

Oct 5, 2018, 4:05 PM ET

bolsonaro-1-gty-er-181005_hpEmbed_19x13_

Brazilian presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro (PSL), speaks during the second presidential debate ahead of the October 7 general election, at Rede TV television network in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Aug. 17, 2018.

The Portuguese words for “not him” and “yes him” have been on many Brazilian womens’ lips over the past few weeks.

They’re referring to Jair Bolsonaro, a candidate for the far-right Social Liberal Party who is also the presidential front-runner, and whether they support or oppose him, one thing is clear: they are all very passionate.

So passionate, in fact, that tens of thousands of people — mostly women — took to the streets last weekend in different cities across the country to express their views on his candidacy.

"I am here protesting [against him], but I can see Bolsonaro winning. I don't have any illusions" Gabriela, a graphic designer from Rio de Janeiro, told ABC News. She asked that her last name not be disclosed.

For those who oppose him, the reasons are clear. Bolsonaro is often compared to U.S. President Donald Trump for sexist comments that he’s made throughout the years, including one caught on camera that he made as a congressman to Congresswoman Maria do Rosario in 2003.

“I would never rape you because you don’t deserve it,” he said.

Eleven years later, after giving a speech for International Day of Human Rights in 2014, where she condemned human rights violations committed during the U.S.-backed military dictatorship between 1964 and 1985, Bolsonaro repeated his comment.

“I am just hoping women can have peace and feel secure in Brazilian society,” Gabriela said. “Women need to feel valued as well. I am afraid if Bolsonaro wins we will be in danger and violence against women will increase."

Yet, Bolsonaro’s comments don’t seem to discourage women in Brazil from planning to vote for him. In fact, a growing number of women believe Bolsonaro will bring real change and say that his power to do so is “unique.”

“Brazil is going through an important crisis,” Nailma Bispo, who lives in the eastern city of Ilheus and works in business development, told ABC News.

“It’s time to put our own house in order and Jair Bolsonaro is the only candidate who has never been mentioned in the anti-corruption operation Car Wash,” she added, referring to an ongoing criminal investigation that has implicated oil and construction executives, politicians, congressmen, and four former presidents — including Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who is serving 12 years for accepting favors.

Bispo has been actively working to support her candidate on social media by sharing as much information about the candidate as possible.

“I don’t see him as sexist,” she said. “I think the congresswoman was impolite with him and accused him of being a rapist. I think any head of a family would have been upset by something like this.”

Bolsonaro is in a good position to become the next president of Brazil, according to polls. In first-round voting, which will take place on Sunday, Oct. 7, he is expected to hold 31 percent of the vote, compared to 17 percent for the Workers’ Party Fernando Haddad.

Based on those numbers, there will likely be a second round of voting to decide between the two candidates who receive the most votes. If that is the case, the future Brazilian president will be determined on Oct. 28.

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Magician said:

I can’t stand this dumb Madonna obsessed hater Trumpbot! :sick:

She is putrid. As this hateful idiot loves far right misogynists so much, she should give up her rights won for her by feminists over the years. The far right hate feminism and women having rights as she should know.  She makes me sick. 

15 minutes ago, Magician said:

His misogyny, homophobia, and racism are so openly expressed that even Marine Le Pen called his rhetoric unpleasant. 

Frightening dreadful result.  The far right is gaining so much power around the world. We don't learn from history. 

The new generation has a short memory. Most of them don't even remember what they ate for dinner yesterday..

All these people that settled for being remembered, artists, leaders, etc.. have already been forgotten..

And now they voted a fascist, dictator into power...

may God have mercy on us all..

The stupidity of some people is stupefying... 

I guess because knowledge is perspective, so what we're looking at is a massive, gaping hole. Perhaps too big to cross.

Generally-speaking it sounds similar to Trump's reputation. Maybe these people do not stand for something new, maybe there is nothing new about the expressed values. Maybe it is the outrage which is new. The newer, more detailed standards of some newer people? I don't know. Hmmm

“good criminal is a dead criminal.”

I guess he's not into education? Most fearful, power-hungry people wouldn't be though.  

6 hours ago, Dany Targaryen said:

The new generation has a short memory. Most of them don't even remember what they ate for dinner yesterday..

All these people that settled for being remembered, artists, leaders, etc.. have already been forgotten..

And now they voted a fascist, dictator into power...

may God have mercy on us all..

The rebranding of George W Bush into some lovable grandpa who paints and gives candy to Michelle Obama has been so weird

Some of the things he has said:

"I am in favor of torture you know that. This country will only change with civil war, killing thousands. If some innocents die, that's OK, it happens."

"I have 5 children, 4 boys, then in the last one, I weakened so I had a girl."

"Minorities have to bow down to the majority. Minorities should adequate themselves or simply disappear."

"Being gay is result of lack of beating."

"Women shouldn't have the same salary because they get pregnant."

Telling a congresswoman she "doesn't deserve to be raped by him."

"My son wouldn't date a black woman, he was well educated."

"Pinochet did what had to be done."

1 hour ago, MadFan said:

"I am in favor of torture you know that. This country will only change with civil war, killing thousands. If some innocents die, that's OK, it happens."

"Minorities have to bow down to the majority. Minorities should adequate themselves or simply disappear."

This is awful! Populist are ruling the world!

2 hours ago, MadFan said:

Truly horrifying that anyone that talks like that can be elected to power in this day and age in the world.  

9 hours ago, le smoking said:

The rebranding of George W Bush into some lovable grandpa who paints and gives candy to Michelle Obama has been so weird

Tell me about it.

Also, nowadays we live in bubbles. Google's algorithms make sure you only see what you want.

Jair Bolsonaro(this elected fellow) said a lot of disturbing things, but most people don't even know about them, because Google only shows them the positive stuff.

It's a self feeding bubble..

7 hours ago, MadFan said:

Of all the things I’ve read in all my years as a member on this on this forum this is, by far, the most bone chilling thing ever. He sounds like a racist, sexist, and homophobe of the worst order. God help us. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

The worst of it all is that the hate far right speech works. That it pushes buttons and those horrible politicians win everywhere. 

Just have been watching a documentary series on the propaganda machine that Hitler used. Similar tactics being used again everywhere now and people are just burying their heads in the sand. 

1 hour ago, Magician said:

Sickening and extremely frightening. The far right is getting more powerful and connected every day. 

7 hours ago, MadFan said:

1 hour ago, Magician said:

Extremely chilling. The future of the world is looking more and more uncertain every day.

Early warning signs of fascism :

1. Powerful and continuing nationalism
2. Disdain for human rights
3. Identification of enemies as a unifying cause
4. Rampant sexism
5. Controlled mass media
6. Obsession with national security
7. Religion and government intertwined
8. Corporate power protected
9. Labor power suppressed
10. Disdain for intellectual and the arts
11. Obsession with crime and punishment
12. Rampant cronyism and corruption

All these signs have accumulated everywhere around the world since the beginning of the decade without anything being done to stop the movement.

The 2016 surrealist US election is the tipping point that has decomplexed all extremes, erased the notion of democracy and opened the door to all possible, as unlikely as some may have appeared a few years ago.

The human draws no lesson from history and tirelessly repeats the same mistakes.

We have interest in appreciating the rights and freedoms we currently have as a homosexual in many civilized countries because it is only a brief moment in history. Very bad decades are emerging for minority groups around the world.

28 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

Early warning signs of fascism :

1. Powerful and continuing nationalism
2. Disdain for human rights
3. Identification of enemies as a unifying cause
4. Rampant sexism
5. Controlled mass media
6. Obsession with national security
7. Religion and government intertwined
8. Corporate power protected
9. Labor power suppressed
10. Disdain for intellectual and the arts
11. Obsession with crime and punishment
12. Rampant cronyism and corruption

All these signs have accumulated everywhere around the world since the beginning of the decade without anything being done to stop the movement.

The 2016 surrealist US election is the tipping point that has decomplexed all extremes, erased the notion of democracy and opened the door to all possible, as unlikely as some may have appeared a few years ago.

The human draws no lesson from history and tirelessly repeats the same mistakes.

We have interest in appreciating the rights and freedoms we currently have as a homosexual in many civilized countries because it is only a brief moment in history. Very bad decades are emerging for minority groups around the world.

Brilliant Post Martin B 

What makes this even more frustrating is the information showing how this happens as you highlighted is more accessible than ever.  The amount of people that have no interest in politics or world events is a blight on intelligence. As long as they are not seemingly inconvenienced themselves at the time,  they do not care. Leaving it so hard to reverse when they finally wake up and their rights are also taken away. 

I also find women that support fascist far right politicians who openly embrace and champion misogyny and the erosion of Women's rights as not only ignorant but are stamping on the sacrifices and suffering that women went through so dreadfully throughout history to get those rights. They made my blood boil and there are so many out there. Everyone needs to look out and protect each other's human rights in unison. 

On 10/29/2018 at 10:59 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

I also find women that support fascist far right politicians who openly embrace and champion misogyny and the erosion of Women's rights as not only ignorant but are stamping on the sacrifices and suffering that women went through so dreadfully throughout history to get those rights. They made my blood boil and there are so many out there. Everyone needs to look out and protect each other's human rights in unison. 

This steaming pile of horse shit comes to mind:

Resultado de imagem para kaya jones fox news

8 minutes ago, MarcoMartins said:

This steaming pile of horse shit comes to mind:

Resultado de imagem para kaya jones fox news

Definitely.  She is an extremist who any one with a brain cell should dismiss and look down on. The worst part though is the everyday women who simply don't care. I know women who love Trump and say straight out that they don't care about his attitude towards women. They are more interested in conspiracy theories and their hatred for Hilary Clinton. Had the same disdain for Julia Gillard. It just blows my mind 

On 10/29/2018 at 11:19 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Definitely.  She is an extremist who any one with a brain cell should dismiss and look down on. The worst part though is the everyday women who simply don't care. I know women who love Trump and say straight out that they don't care about his attitude towards women. They are more interested in conspiracy theories and their hatred for Hilary Clinton. Had the same disdain for Julia Gillard. It just blows my mind 

Trump supporters tend to defend his election by continuously rehashing the argument that most Americans craved for a candidate who wasn't part of the political system. That mentality never resonated with me. For example, I'd never call a plumber who isn't part of the plumbing system because I don't want to drain in literal shit. Now America is dealing with the consequences of their own ignorance. It doesn't help that the Millennial vote is a liability as I happen to know many people around my age who don't even bother to vote and greatly prefer to log in their social media accounts and update themselves with the latest news on surgically enhanced socialites.

19 minutes ago, MarcoMartins said:

Trump supporters tend to defend his election by continuously rehashing the argument that most Americans craved for a candidate who wasn't part of the political system. That mentality never resonated with me. For example, I'd never call a plumber who isn't part of the plumbing system because I don't want to drain in literal shit. Now America is dealing with the consequences of their own ignorance. It doesn't help that the Millennial vote is a liability as I happen to know many people around my age who don't even bother to vote and greatly prefer to log in their social media accounts and update themselves with the latest news on surgically enhanced socialites.

Not to mention all those for whom Hillary was not a clean enough candidate and who preferred not to vote or worse to vote for Trump.  They chose 100 times worse and opened the door to all the drifts. They will be the first fools when some of their rights are removed, which will happen sooner rather than later, to say that they do not understand how that could have happened. Same thing in Brazil. The dangerous new president has been filmed many times with inacceptable comments and you see people in the street saying that he is now more moderate and would never do what he said before. There is no more blind man that the one who does not want to see.

I am so, so afraid. I live in Rio de Janeiro, am an actor and writer and he is about to take down the Ministry of Culture. I'm also gay and there has been lot's of us already being beaten on the streets.

I don't want to leave my house. I'm scared, so scared. Thinking of going to Urugay, Portugal or France. My mom and I, we cannot stay here. This really might be the end of an era of people feeling proud of who they are. 

48 minutes ago, Humberto77rj said:

I am so, so afraid. I live in Rio de Janeiro, am an actor and writer and he is about to take down the Ministry of Culture. I'm also gay and there has been lot's of us already being beaten on the streets.

I don't want to leave my house. I'm scared, so scared. Thinking of going to Urugay, Portugal or France. My mom and I, we cannot stay here. This really might be the end of an era of people feeling proud of who they are. 

I am so sorry that you have to go through this fear.  Such a shocking result and you deserve so much better than having to deal with this. 

5 hours ago, Humberto77rj said:

Poor you! It's so sad that you have to live such a thing in 2018. Be careful.

20 hours ago, Humberto77rj said:

I´m so sorry to read this.this is so sad...