Cervical cancer to be eliminated in Australia due to vaccine

So incredibly proud to be Australian with this news.    Also,  shows up the anti-vaccination people for their ignorance and scare tactics that get far too much attention.  The anti-vaccinations groups complained loudly about this vaccine being made availble to young women in Australia but it has been a tremendous success.  Also again proves that universal health care is vital.  These vaccinations were free to schoolgirls -  America take note !   Have watched several documentaries recently on how vaccinations have wiped out deadly horrible viral diseases such as Smallpox and Polio.   Fascinating documentaries that prove how effective vaccinations truly are. . 

Anyway,  Here is the great news for women everywhere 

Cervical cancer set to be eliminated from Australia in global first

Cervical cancer is set to become a rare disease in Australia within just two years and rendered so uncommon by 2028 it will be deemed eliminated as a public health problem for the first time anywhere in the world.

The new forecast has been detailed in research in the Lancet Public Health Journal, which found that although global deaths from the disease still exceed 310,000 each year, Australia is heading towards a scenario where cervical cancer would be almost unheard of.

The positive prediction has been largely credited to the introduction a decade ago of the world-leading national human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination program for schoolchildren, but key changes began in 1991 with the beginning of the country’s pap smear program.

In the decades afterwards, cervical cancer rates in women dropped about 50 per cent, as abnormalities were identified before they developed.

The incidence of cervical cancer in Australia now stands at seven cases per 100,000, about half the global average.

Now research from Cancer Council NSW argues the most dramatic improvements are still to come, as the first recipients of the early HPV vaccination program begin to reach their mid thirties.

In just two years, cervical cancer could be officially considered a rare cancer in Australia, with six new cases per 100,000 women annually.

If current practices continue, the disease will be all but eradicated by 2066, when there will be about one case per 100,000. By 2100 there would be just three deaths per million women (compared to 21 deaths per million, or about 260 deaths each year today).

Professor Ian Frazer, the co-inventor of the technology behind the HPV vaccine, said he expected that in time cervical cancer would be completely eliminated from Australia and the world.

“Because this human papillomavirus only infects humans and the vaccine program prevents the spread of the virus, eventually we'll get rid of it, like we did with smallpox,” Professor Frazer said.

“It’s not going to happen in my lifetime, but it could happen in the lifetime of my kids if they go about it the right way.”

The free national HPV vaccination program was first rolled out to Australian schoolgirls aged 12 to 13 in 2007, and was expanded to boys in 2013.

The current vaccine works by protecting recipients against the types of HPV that cause about 90 per cent of cervical cancers worldwide. It also prevents cases of genital warts, and a number of other cancers of the cervix, anus, vulva, vagina, penis and throat.

26 minutes ago, Rebel Saviour said:

In Italy they all vote for the hideous 5 star movement. They are the worst.:thumbsdown:

I have read about them.  Absolutely appalling that these ignorant scare mongers are frightening so many people on vaccinations.  One thing I do like about the Australian government is how they dismiss the anti vaccination people with gutso and push on with research and make it compulsory for children to be vaccinated when they go to pre school and school. 

Been watching interviews with Professor Ian Frazer everywhere since these stats made the news  and he said that the anti-vaccination people and a few of our politicians such as Tony Abbott and Barnaby Joyce - both ultra religious anti science idiots - wanted to stop this program years back,  These 2 clowns also said that the vaccination that stopped the HPV virus would make young women promiscuous.  Why it is so important for people to listen to medical experts and scientist who study medicine and try to stop diseases instead of conspiracy theorists who know nothing about everything and everything about nothing.

This guy should get acclaim worldwide.  Already has got the Australian of the year and the Prime Minister's science award.  He pushed for this vaccine and the results have been amazing.  

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

Great news. these vaccines against the papiloma virus are doing great in many places. And yes, anti vaccines really can't be more obtuse (and dangerous). 

Yes,  worldwide these vaccines are making a huge difference.  There was a worry because anti vaxers (  as we call them )  really make a lot of noise and have turned off a lot of people from vaccinations.  There was a family who lost their baby to Whooping cough who did adverts talking of how they should have had their baby vaccinated and heart breaking footage of babies suffering from whooping cough.  They got death threats from anti vaccination groups.  They really are very dangerous because so many campaign so strongly all over social media etc 

On 10/4/2018 at 2:31 PM, horn said:

Are there any HPV vaccine for adults?

I think you can get it in the UK but have to pay for it if you're male or a female over a certain age. I think there's uncertainty if it actually works as well on men.

Great news though! Anti valentine's are scary. My friend's not got their baby vaccinated against measles. 🙃

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

I think you can get it in the UK but have to pay for it if you're male or a female over a certain age. I think there's uncertainty if it actually works as well on men.

Great news though! Anti valentine's are scary. My friend's not got their baby vaccinated against measles. 🙃

I previously tried to find out about the HPV vaccine for adults but I read in a few sites that I’m way past the age limit. I would pay for it if would offer protection. I’ve always been paranoid about contracting genital warts or herpes since I’ve known people personally who had outbreaks of these stds. From my understanding, many folks carry them without having any symptoms or outbreaks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 3:19 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes,  worldwide these vaccines are making a huge difference.  There was a worry because anti vaxers (  as we call them )  really make a lot of noise and have turned off a lot of people from vaccinations.  There was a family who lost their baby to Whooping cough who did adverts talking of how they should have had their baby vaccinated and heart breaking footage of babies suffering from whooping cough.  They got death threats from anti vaccination groups.  They really are very dangerous because so many campaign so strongly all over social media etc 

I really hate those anti vaxers. I can’t be anymore tolerant. What a bunch of ignorant self righteous freaks they are. Unfortunately whenever I have read or watched something about the discussion here in Germany the media tried very hard to be objective to both sides, as if you’d have to take those idiots seriously. I think we are being way to polite and submissive towards them. Another case of questionable political correctness when dealing with dangerous people.