MadonnaNation.com Forums
Lolo

Favorite Original Movie Scores

I’m in a very melodramatic mood these days and rediscovered the beauty of original movie soundtracks. Many of them are considered modern classics and I’d like to know if others here love them as well. This is only about original composed soundtrack music, no random songs used in a movie, and only (or mainly) instrumentals. 

I only listen to them very seldom and it’s always a little surprise to me how good they are. John Williams is one of my fave composers and I kind of made up my mind that the Jurassic Park theme is the best Blockbuster OST theme ever! I’m not particularly into the JP movies, but that theme delivers in so many ways, it’s the definition of MAJESTIC. Why was this beauty written for such ugly beasts, lol.

I also rediscovered one of my long forgotten favorite laments, again from another blockbuster movie some may remember and though I’ve never been crazy about the movie itself and even dislike most of the cheesy sounding score, this track really makes me emotional, it’s so good... and I usually hate bag pipes! What a perfect piece of movie music (maybe minus the choir bits but still). Ugh... my heart...

I mean, Jurassic Park is just epic. That score sent chills down my spine as a kid when I first heard it and still transports me to the theatre where I first saw it when I was 10 years old. 

And of course these are ICONIC. 

One of my favorite score from one of my favorite movie from one of my favorite composer:

I've always loved the them from the Exorcist. It's a gorgeous piece of music. 

Tori Amos would include snippets of this on tour year ago. I think she still does it to this day. 

Some people think he's cheesy :dazed: , I think John Williams is a GOD of movie scores

This one gives me chills every time

This may seem like a strange choice but I loved the music in Sleeping with the enemy - my all time favourite Julia Roberts Movie.   Adored the original theme " Morning on the beach"  which was used throughout.  On another note too,  how great was the usage of Berlioz " Symphonie Fantasique.  Every time her abusive husband started playing it,  the chills would go through Julia's character Laura and the audience too.  Great use of great classical music. 

When thinking of original music/movie scores, this always comes to mind.  And no matter how many times I watch it, the hospital scene with that damn cute little boy (Teddy) makes me cry like a baby!!....oh, I love the music too!!!  

Oz the Great and Powerful!!! Love the music. 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, mamifero said:

Some people think he's cheesy :dazed: , I think John Williams is a GOD of movie scores

This gives me the chills when i watch it as well 🤠 

On 9/14/2018 at 8:30 PM, runa said:

One of my favorite score from one of my favorite movie from one of my favorite composer:

Yes, that movie was so good! And I spent some time listening to the OST, reminded me very much of the The Piano Soundtrack which I loved for so many years.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:47 PM, mamifero said:

John Williams is a genius.

And who thinks he’s cheesy? Some stupid Millennials who think Hans Zimmer invented music? I’m so glad no one hasn’t mentioned him yet, he’s so overrated. 

On 9/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, KalamazooJay said:

I've always loved the them from the Exorcist. It's a gorgeous piece of music. 

Tori Amos would include snippets of this on tour year ago. I think she still does it to this day. 

I’ve never seen the movie since I’m really NOT into anything Horror, but the music is so iconic. Says a lot if people know the music but even though they don’t know the film, lol...

What do you guys think about Thomas Newman’s music for DSS? I always loved it to death, and still do. 💕

This is the whole OST of the movie

@Lolo  I love the Desperately Seeking Susan score.   This is a fantastic thread.  Going to post a stack in the next few days when I have time off.  Love movie scores and love all of the choices here. 

Amarcord, music by Nino Rota, a cult classic, I listen to it almost every day, such beautiful nostalgic music....

On 9/20/2018 at 3:51 AM, functions_X said:

The Piano

Yes yes yes, I’ve been listening to that for years!!!! So many memories. 

On 9/20/2018 at 3:54 AM, functions_X said:

Amarcord, music by Nino Rota, a cult classic, I listen to it almost every day, such beautiful nostalgic music....

Just lovely. Very Mad Men, I’m feeling glamorous already...

AnotherExemplaryAurochs-size_restricted.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:54 PM, functions_X said:

I like this too. I’m a big of the film as well.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:19 PM, Supernatural said:

The Suspiria soundtrack is strange and very good! 

A Single Man and W.E.

Schindler's List !

6 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Midnight Express  

amazing music!

In the Mood for Love and 2046. 

Bad Education and Talk to Her. 

Potiche. 

Juno. 

Darjeeling Express.     

Blade Runner was my favorite movie during my late teens, early twenties. The music was so essential to its futuristic atmosphere and appeal. 

I used to love this song (Theme from Ice Castles....Through the Eyes of Love)....until singing/playing it countless times for weddings.  I got sick of it!!  But now, I actually can enjoy it again.

And we surely can't forget this classic!