MadonnaNation.com Forums
todsmod

Karen...the voice of an angle

Not sure why, or if there even needs to be a reason why, but I've been longing/missing the sound of Karen's voice (and Richard's arrangements) lately.  I've been listening a lot lately, and when I do, my standard poodle (CHARLIE) always comes and lays his head on my lap....as if to say "thank you....who is that angelic voice singing"?!!!  Being nostalgic lately.  How can one deny that this was a once in a lifetime voice?...????  No wonder M adored her!

It's hard to pick/choose favorites....but here's a few of mine.  The subtle smoothness in her voice just melts me.  Her voice was like a living instrument.  

tumblr_mh2udibTU21s3jx1vo1_500.gif

18 hours ago, todsmod said:

It's hard to pick/choose favorites....but here's a few of mine.  The subtle smoothness in her voice just melts me.  Her voice was like a living instrument.  

She faided away..but came back on Erotica:

37 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

She faided away..but came back on Erotica:

Publicity materials for the album said that this song was a tribute to Karen Carpenter, possibly because of the way Madonna sings it. Madonna said of the singer: "Karen Carpenter had the clearest, purest voice. I'm completely influenced by her harmonic sensibility."

@todsmod. I am a Major fan of Karen's voice.  Clear, emotional, beautiful and sings the melody in such a pure way.  Can convey emotion and feeling easily without resorting to screaming and screeching. 

On 14 September 2018 at 11:33 AM, todsmod said:

tumblr_mh2udibTU21s3jx1vo1_500.gif

One of the mist poignant and relatable songs ever about feeling unhappy and down. Beautiful melody and lyrics performed perfectly. 

On 9/14/2018 at 11:25 AM, todsmod said:

Three beautiful songs.   Again Karen sang them to absolute perfection.  

I hear a lot of people do covers of Carpenters songs and none I have heard can achieve the vocal perfection and deliverance of Karen.   Take note of another incredible and great singer in Barbra Streisand.  I think Karen's version of "  I won't last a day without you"  easily and effortlessly is much better than Barbra and Barbra is one of the greatest emotional singers of all time. 

Most other singers would turn this into a victim playing whiny song but Karen makes it beautiful, sad and truthful.  Her voice is a true gift that completely conveys sadness in it.  

@todsmod  We both share a love for the same type of singers I have noticed.   Madonna,  Olivia Newton John,  Karen Carpenter - all can sing ballads with so much clarity, sadness and feeling.  These women are 3 of the most under-rated singers ever whose voices are not praised enough.  Their voices and ability to interpret songs perfectly to make us feel them musicality and emotionally is something that is so special and touching. 

Some more favourites 

9 hours ago, todsmod said:

Publicity materials for the album said that this song was a tribute to Karen Carpenter, possibly because of the way Madonna sings it. Madonna said of the singer: "Karen Carpenter had the clearest, purest voice. I'm completely influenced by her harmonic sensibility."

I know Madonna adored Karen as a singer.  As mentioned before,  she has the same emotional connection to songs.  Also like Karen,  her voice is pure and smooth.  As my mother used to say,   you can understand every word Madonna sings and she sings with feeling- the same way Karen Carpenter sang.  She alerted me to the similar way they sang ballads and have noticed it throughout her career. 

@Jazzy Jan  True....we do share similar taste in our female vocalists!!  M, Karen & ONJ....it's like running your fingers through silk.  A few others that can bring that feeling are Whitney, Toni Braxton, Barbara....I know I'm missing some (especially a few from the 70's I remember admiring).  

Your mother (and you) is a smart woman with an ear for smooth/rich tones that deliver emotion and passion (not to mention annunciation) without having to scream/belt/show-off your God-given voice.  And to think that Karen never really wanted to be a singer is unthinkable!!  Thank God they noticed and shared with the world this silky smooth, seemingly effortless talent that Karen possessed.  I must admit, I've watched a few documentaries about her life and struggles.  It's difficult to watch someone that ill (not playing the victim for attention) and the pain she felt emotionally.  

Not to diminish her talent as a superb drummer, also!!!  Those little arms/hands of hers could fly across a drum set w/o missing a beat!

I just love how right before singing live, she says "ugh, I've gotta get in a serious mood here" (right at the beginning).  Her "get into the mood" voice must have been so easy for her.  I know they had many "sad" songs, but there were many "joyful/playful" ones also.  I just wonder what she may have felt while singing those songs, because she never showed her sadness.  Sure, you may have heard it, but she always had a smile on.  

OMG. Make believe it's the first time. This structure, the melodies of the song is just outstanding. Simply a very beautiful song. Just like almost all Carpenters songs. The thing is, just like Abba songs and Madonna songs they seem to be very easy in a way but they have some complicated melodies and it's actually very hard to sing. It's as if they were tailor-made and everytime someone else tries to sing them, they hardly ever achieve the quality of the original. And I think this very much has to do with the emotions the original artists evoke while singing these Songs, emotions that cannot be re-recreated by anyone else.

I have said it before, I would like to see Madonna do a one night only performance at Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall, singing Carpenters songs. A fundraiser for Malawi maybe. I would pay lots of money to witness that. Just her, wearing a gorgeous dress, and an orchestra. OMG, can you imagine Madonna singing Make believe it's your first time?

@Raider of the lost Ark  Guess for now we'll have to settle for this little Karen tribute.... But that thought of M singing Carpenters alone ..... it makes me smile!!!

This Used To Be My Playground has a Carpenters vibe. 

The voice of an ...angle?  220px-Angle_radian.svg.png

@wash    oops!!  Just noticed my stupid mistake!  Although I'm sure Karen could sing that "angle" beautifully!!!  :tongue:

😂😂

On 9/27/2018 at 1:17 AM, todsmod said:

@wash    oops!!  Just noticed my stupid mistake!  Although I'm sure Karen could sing that "angle" beautifully!!!  :tongue:

:rotfl: I do that all the time too.  Angel's fly and sing at great angles !  

Todsmod,  Another song I love Karen singing.  Her voice is so pure. 

On 9/16/2018 at 7:42 PM, Raider of the lost Ark said:

OMG. Make believe it's the first time. This structure, the melodies of the song is just outstanding. Simply a very beautiful song. Just like almost all Carpenters songs. The thing is, just like Abba songs and Madonna songs they seem to be very easy in a way but they have some complicated melodies and it's actually very hard to sing. It's as if they were tailor-made and everytime someone else tries to sing them, they hardly ever achieve the quality of the original. And I think this very much has to do with the emotions the original artists evoke while singing these Songs, emotions that cannot be re-recreated by anyone else.

I have said it before, I would like to see Madonna do a one night only performance at Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall, singing Carpenters songs. A fundraiser for Malawi maybe. I would pay lots of money to witness that. Just her, wearing a gorgeous dress, and an orchestra. OMG, can you imagine Madonna singing Make believe it's your first time?

Raider of the lost Ark,  I would pay big money to see that too.  As a one off - would be incredible.  Why a great singer needs to always emotionally connect to their songs.  Karen, Madonna, Olivia, Diana Ross - do that with all their ballads.  Karen and Madonna especially know how to convey sadness and melancholy perfectly. 

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

:rotfl: I do that all the time too.  Angel's fly and sing at great angles !  

Todsmod,  Another song I love Karen singing.  Her voice is so pure. 

Baby-worship-lawd.gif