MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedey

What happened to the Glastonbury 2019 rumour?

It's all gone quiet again 

UPDATE // SEPTEMBER 11:

Take All My Money! Madonna And Rihanna Are Reportedly Headlining Glastonbury 2019

5 HOURS AGO 

The rumors are picking up steam! Back in June, it was reported Madonna would headline Glastonbury 2019.

Not only has that yet to get debunked, but according to a new report from The Daily Star, Rihanna and Blondie are expected to perform as well.

“A who’s who of female talent has been approached to perform next summer including Madonna, Cardi B, Ellie Goulding, Mary J Blige, Dua Lipa, Patti Smith, Jessie Ware, Jorja Smith, plus female-fronted bands Blondie and Wolf Alice,” they write.

Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus were mentioned as well.

I’ll believe it when I see it, but Madonna and Rihanna are both working on new albums right now. If true, booking a flight stat to the UK stat.

https://www.breatheheavy.com/madonna-is-reportedly-headlining-glastonbury-2019/

Oh Godonna, please be true.

she is rumoured to be playing the festival, id give anything to see her at Glastonbury,been 12 times but had no luck in the past 6 years getting tickets 😞  

When is it? June right? UGH IT'S SO FAR AWAY.... 

Spoiler

and omg I won't be a teenager when she preforms. I'll officially be in my twenties 😳

Imagime if she annonces the album with the headline !! IDIE

Just now, Maleficent said:

When is it? June right? UGH IT'S SO FAR AWAY.... 

Hide contents

and omg I won't be a teenager when she preforms. I'll officially be in my twenties 😳

yes end of june

So IF they offered her the washed up afternoon 'legend' slot instead of real headliner, would we just be happy to have a performance at all or would we rather she just told them to stick it?

She'll never do the legend slot (and she shouldn't) 

If she doesn't do main headliner (which she could & should) then she could do the surprise / 'guest' slot thing.. 

Headliner or nothing. End of.

4 hours ago, Kim said:

So IF they offered her the washed up afternoon 'legend' slot instead of real headliner, would we just be happy to have a performance at all or would we rather she just told them to stick it?

Would hope she would tell them to stick their offer where the Sun doesn't shine.  Fans should NEVER expect Madonna to be treated like a second rater.    Would rather she not appear at all.

https://gulfnews.com/life-style/music/glastonbury-2019-tickets-sell-out-in-30-minutes-1.2288673

Festivalgoers who bought the £248 (Dh1200) tickets were, as usual, taking the plunge without knowing the line-up, but speculation is already rife. Eavis has previously said that Paul McCartney is “top of our list”, while other rumoured headliners include Elton John, Kendrick Lamar and Abba. Madonna has also hinted she would be open to performing. As for the Sunday afternoon “legend” slot, Eavis dropped a hint to BBC Radio 2 this summer. “I’ll give you a clue. It’s a female. She is not British, but I can’t give you any more clues because it will get me into trouble.”

The owner of efestivals said Madonna headlining isn't happening and didn't even reach negotiation stage because her fee is too high.

The washed up slot will probably be Cher or Kelly Minogue.

She's so short sighted sometimes. For all her protestations she is the Material Girl.

13 hours ago, Suedey said:

She's so short sighted sometimes. For all her protestations she is the Material Girl.

True. Someone like McCartney (who's also rolling in money) knows that festivals and such are a trade off. The exposure is the main payment.

It always seems to come back to short term financial gain for Madge these days. Perplexing indeed.

3 hours ago, Kim said:

True. Someone like McCartney (who's also rolling in money) knows that festivals and such are a trade off. The exposure is the main payment.

It always seems to come back to short term financial gain for Madge these days. Perplexing indeed.

It seems to me when Madonna asks for extravagant payment is just her nice way to say "I dont want to do it". I've been noticing that.

Because she does a lot of ramdom things for free, so it's hard to imagine why she would pass this exposure opportunity just because they can't pay her absurd fee.

She agreed to do the 2009-2010 NYE show in Rio for FREE. The only reason it dindn't happen was because the city didn't have the money to put up the stage. She said that multiple times.

So why wouldn't she do Glastonbury? It can be for a lot of reasons, but money is not one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Mat.Guy said:

It seems to me when Madonna asks for extravagant payment is just her nice way to say "I dont want to do it". I've been noticing that.

Because she does a lot of ramdom things for free, so it's hard to imagine why she would pass this exposure opportunity just because they can't pay her absurd fee.

She agreed to do the 2009-2010 NYE show in Rio for FREE. The only reason it dindn't happen was because the city didn't have the money to put up the stage. She said that multiple times.

So why wouldn't she do Glastonbury? It can be for a lot of reasons, but money is not one of them. 

The nice way to say you don't want to do it is to.... say you don't want to do it. 

If the reason given is money, then that's the reason I'll take. And I absolutely do believe it looking at Madonna's track record.

As for Rio not having the money to erect a stage? Don't believe it for a minute. 

9 minutes ago, Kim said:

The nice way to say you don't want to do it is to.... say you don't want to do it. 

If the reason given is money, then that's the reason I'll take. And I absolutely do believe it looking at Madonna's track record.

As for Rio not having the money to erect a stage? Don't believe it for a minute. 

But I don't think thats thw nice way to say in showbizz.

It was not just her saying. The mayor of Rio an the Brazilian media also said that. It is recorded multiple times.

1 minute ago, Mat.Guy said:

But I don't think thats thw nice way to say in showbizz.

It was not just her saying. The mayor of Rio an the Brazilian media also said that. It is recorded multiple times.

Ok, well, to say she has other commitments or something would be a nice way to say it. To deliberately price yourself out of something that the Stones, Zeppelin (and all the other legends who usually charge on par with Madonna) routinely do, singles her out as diva-ish and the antithesis of what Glasto is meant to be about. This is only a rumour anyway.

If a major star approaches a city with the offer of a free show and all the economic benefits it would bring then I'm fairly confident the council or city representatives would go into overdrive to pull strings, ask favours or get the money together to do something as rudimentary as build a stage. It's Rio, it's not Ethiopia, so I'd hazard a guess that there was something else going on there, not least of which Madonna agreeing to do anything for free (that's not charity based) being extremely unusual.

40 minutes ago, Kim said:

Ok, well, to say she has other commitments or something would be a nice way to say it. To deliberately price yourself out of something that the Stones, Zeppelin (and all the other legends who usually charge on par with Madonna) routinely do, singles her out as diva-ish and the antithesis of what Glasto is meant to be about. This is only a rumour anyway.

If a major star approaches a city with the offer of a free show and all the economic benefits it would bring then I'm fairly confident the council or city representatives would go into overdrive to pull strings, ask favours or get the money together to do something as rudimentary as build a stage. It's Rio, it's not Ethiopia, so I'd hazard a guess that there was something else going on there, not least of which Madonna agreeing to do anything for free (that's not charity based) being extremely unusual.

Okay, you clearly don't know how Brazil works so I won't debate about that with you.

6 minutes ago, Mat.Guy said:

Okay, you clearly don't know how Brazil works so I won't debate about that with you.

You're right, I don't,  but if Fuckville, Nowhereland can build a stage for their local blugrass music festival, then Rio can build a stage for a concert I would have thought.... and if they couldn't do it through traditional channels, then they could do it through corrupt channels. Voila!

I'm sad. It would have been great exposure for her, a reminder to the public how good of a performer she is. I really hope she has something cool planned for this era...

Well maybe it's about time they stopped USING Madonna's name every year to get publicity for this ever-decreasing shit-fest(ival) before the inevitable denials come in.

She can be so annoying sometimes. If she can do the Super Bowl for free in order to promote her latest album and tour then surely she can do Glastonbury. That performance alone gave her a sold out tour and a number one debut for MDNA.

On 9/15/2018 at 4:49 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

Would hope she would tell them to stick their offer where the Sun doesn't shine.  Fans should NEVER expect Madonna to be treated like a second rater.    Would rather she not appear at all.

Yep! Leave those sloppy seconds theatrics for Gaga who only headlined Coachella because Beyoncé couldn't risk giving birth on stage.

I dont think she enjoys having A live televised show anymore, superbowl was very nerve-racking for her