MadonnaNation.com Forums

Some of my faves

For me, new wave covers the end of the seventies and early eighties.

Burning Up is probably the only song by M that would qualify?

5 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Some of my faves

For me, new wave covers the end of the seventies and early eighties.

Burning Up is probably the only song by M that would qualify?

During the eighties, NY we had a famous & influential new wave station called WLIR. I remember looking at their old playlists online & I did def see that they played Burning Up & maybe either Everybody or Borderline. 

Their old playlist also included Angel & I’m pretty sure Dress You Up or LAV. From what I’ve read online, the station stopped playing her music during TB. What’s interesting is that Madonna’s first two albums were played on the station along with the new wave & post punk from the era. At the same time, her music was being played on other stations that catered to black audiences.  

Two more favorites of mine.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:35 AM, shelita-buffet said:

One of my all time favorites:

The bass lines in the intro and later in the breakdown are everything! 

:inlove:

On 9/9/2018 at 1:58 PM, Lolo said:

The bass lines in the intro and later in the breakdown are everything! 

:inlove:

I know this thread is about the music, but it's the HAIR that I can't get over (especially that video).  And to think my hair back then is "almost" reminiscent of theirs!!!  But gotta admit, the music, clothes, hair (people in general)....were so much more interesting than what's happening now.  Guess I'm getting old(er).?  :dazed:

Fuk it.  I'm going bleach some of my hair and cut me a mullett!!!  :nervous:

6 hours ago, todsmod said:

I know this thread is about the music, but it's the HAIR that I can't get over (especially that video).  And to think my hair back then is "almost" reminiscent of theirs!!!  But gotta admit, the music, clothes, hair (people in general)....were so much more interesting than what's happening now.  Guess I'm getting old(er).?  :dazed:

Fuk it.  I'm going bleach some of my hair and cut me a mullett!!!  :nervous:

Haha, do it!!! 80s were fun and people were unapologetic about it. Across the street is an ice cream parlor run by two young Italian guys in their mid twenties and they are huge Depeche Mode and Blixa Bargeld fans, with clothes, hairstyles and Make Up, it’s such FUN. Eating gorgeous Italian ice cream while listening to 80s music and looking at these guys. This place makes me so happy cause my childhood lives on... 

This thread gives me life! I'm so glad that the New Wave is coming again, there are a lot of new artists that are taking inspirations by the 80's and I'm so glad of it. 

On 9/8/2018 at 5:44 AM, Nick said:

During the eighties, NY we had a famous & influential new wave station called WLIR. I remember looking at their old playlists online & I did def see that they played Burning Up & maybe either Everybody or Borderline. 

Their old playlist also included Angel & I’m pretty sure Dress You Up or LAV. From what I’ve read online, the station stopped playing her music during TB. What’s interesting is that Madonna’s first two albums were played on the station along with the new wave & post punk from the era. At the same time, her music was being played on other stations that catered to black audiences.  

Interesting. In my book Madonna never really had a new wave sound, except for Burning Up really. If they played her songs as part of that wave, my guess would be it was mostly because of her early image and look, which was indeed very new wavy, not so much her music.

By the time of True Blue she wasn’t part of that style anymore and had moved on. 

1 hour ago, Lolo said:

Interesting. In my book Madonna never really had a new wave sound, except for Burning Up really. If they played her songs as part of that wave, my guess would be it was mostly because of her early image and look, which was indeed very new wavy, not so much her music.

By the time of True Blue she wasn’t part of that style anymore and had moved on. 

In a couple of my New Wave playlists, I always include "Stay (81)" that's on the 'Pre-Madonna' CD. LOVE this track.