Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Recommended Posts

The best genre of the decade despite many of the best songs being one-offs from non-substantial groups / solo artists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@erotica blu  Loved so many new wave songs.  Tainted Love, Take on Me,  Blue Monday,  Love is a stranger, Poison Arrow, Video killed the radio star, West end girls,  to name but a few.  So many great songs. 

What are your favourites ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOVE 80s New Wave. I would so have been a new wave shoegazer, there’s no doubt about it. 

One of my all time faves

The breakdown that starts from 3:10 is orgasmic really. 

Oh and this never gets old too, because it’s amazingly old, lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lolo  Love both of those songs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@erotica blu  Loved so many new wave songs.  Tainted Love, Take on Me,  Blue Monday,  Love is a stranger, Poison Arrow, Video killed the radio star, West end girls,  to name but a few.  So many great songs. 

What are your favourites ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, erotica blu said:

 

OMG. One of my all tine favourite songs. The lyrics are so heartbreakingly true and the melody is everything. 

When I first heard this song though, I thought she was singing " Hush Hush, keep it down now,   this is scary ". Heard the title of the song wrong !   Such an incredible song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely agree. My favorite sirius radio station is 1st wave. Would love for this sound to make a comeback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great topic! Eighties new wave & pst punk are some of my favorite genres. Some of my favorite tracks are;

Bow Wow Wow- I Want Candy

The Pretenders- Back on The Chain Gang 

Joe Jackson - Breaking Us In Two

Adam Ant- Goody Two Shoes

Inxs- Don’t Change

Go Go’s- Vacation 

Duran Duran- The Reflex

Depeche Mode- Just Can’t Get Enough

New Order- Bizarre Love Triangle 

The Cure- Just Like Heaven 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Original! And the only legit version of that song.

I hated that sappy whiny cover from that douche. Annoyed the crap out of me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STARS

SELF-CONTROL

SIGN OF THE TIME (The Belle Stars)

and one of my favorite 80's french song called Quel Souci La Boétie, you must hear that, it's so much fun :

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the Cars are the undisputed kings of New Wave. I never get sick of their songs. Total classics. My 3 faves. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The singer of Depeche Mode is at my job with his wife...and I’m tempted to ask him about whether that collaboration with M was ever true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lolo said:

the Original! And the only legit version of that song.

I hated that sappy whiny cover from that douche. Annoyed the crap out of me. 

I like this track as well. They were the first concert I ever went to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Girl In Trouble (Is A Temporary Thing) - Romeo Void

Cruel Summer - Bananarama

Pop Musik - M

Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics

Whip It - Devo

My Sharona - The Knack

Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Don't You Want Me - Human League

Our House - Madness

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KalamazooJay  Love the Cars as well.   Will add Drive as one of my favourite songs of theirs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aries said:

Girl In Trouble (Is A Temporary Thing) - Romeo Void

Cruel Summer - Bananarama

Pop Musik - M

Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics

Whip It - Devo

My Sharona - The Knack

Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Don't You Want Me - Human League

Our House - Madness

 

Love all of these 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lolo said:

the Original! And the only legit version of that song.

I hated that sappy whiny cover from that douche. Annoyed the crap out of me. 

Yes,  I also hated that whiny cover which turned it into an absolute dirge. 

I loved Tears for Fears - Always loved Head over Heels a lot too 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this song so much - If you leave 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another of my favourites - both the song and the incredible video 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nick said:

Great topic! Eighties new wave & pst punk are some of my favorite genres. Some of my favorite tracks are;

Bow Wow Wow- I Want Candy

The Pretenders- Back on The Chain Gang 

Joe Jackson - Breaking Us In Two

Adam Ant- Goody Two Shoes

Inxs- Don’t Change

Go Go’s- Vacation 

Duran Duran- The Reflex

Depeche Mode- Just Can’t Get Enough

New Order- Bizarre Love Triangle 

The Cure- Just Like Heaven 

 

More great choices Nick.   I love this thread  ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@KalamazooJay  Love the Cars as well.   Will add Drive as one of my favourite songs of theirs.  

I can't believe I forgot about Drive! One of my absolute faves from the 80's. 

Such a great band. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many from that era that were superb.  Way too many to list all, so here's a few that come to mind.

ABC (my all time favorite 80's/new wave band)

Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Simple Minds, When In Rome, The Human League, New Order, The Cure, Erasure, Bananarama........plus MANY OTHERS that were mentioned above.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 7:29 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

OMG. One of my all tine favourite songs. The lyrics are so heartbreakingly true and the melody is everything. 

When I first heard this song though, I thought she was singing " Hush Hush, keep it down now,   this is scary ". Heard the title of the song wrong !   Such an incredible song. 

No different from I saw the sign versus I saw the sun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, erotica blu said:

No different from I saw the sign versus I saw the sun.

 Yes.   Misheard lyrics are always fun to remember.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Loved so many new wave songs. Tainted Love, Take on Me,  Blue Monday,  Love is a stranger, Poison Arrow, Video killed the radio star, West end girls,  to name but a few.  So many great songs. 

What are your favourites ? 

No song by Madonna?

:lol: :lol2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the undisputed QUEEN of New Wave and the crown jewel of their discography..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

No song by Madonna?

:lol: :lol2:

Madonna's music beats all ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't even begin to list all of my faves....there are soooo many!! This is one of my favorite genres. A lot of my faves have already been mentioned in the thread. Some others I like are...

 

As I'm sure most here already know, there's a Madonna connection with that song too:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more Madonna connections.....she played with Thompson Twins at Live Aid and Level 42 opened for her on WTG tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×