MADONNA's EPIC NEW ALBUM discussion thread

Are we really talking about Rebel Heart... Demos vs Album versions... Again ?!

I still believe we have time for a 2018 release.

She wont announce the album until the first single is released.

I can still see this happening: September - single release, album announcement, promo

October/November: 2nd single, album, promo

2019 3rd single, Tour

#magic

5 hours ago, vesper_wolf said:

Hehe ok, that's why i remembered it as September because these are basically last days of august. Thanks for bringing it up 🙂 So still, i see nothing wrong with this album's build-up, or any reason to write off 2018 release. God i really pray it stays this way and i get to hear the record as she intended as a full on surprise 🙂

5 hours ago, Kim said:

Well I actually edited my post while you were replying to include the fact that Madonna.com confirmed the names and release dates at the beginning of August even before the press release BUT I do realise this was a different time when Madonna actually had a team behind her and wasn't running everything out of her own bathroom :nocomment:

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see 🙂

Also, she confirmed the album title in a backstage interview following her well-received Live 8 performance. Which was in  early July. And it was “straight from the horse’s mouth,” if you’ll pardon the equine idiom in such proximity to COADF. (It’s amazing she kept the timeline — with video shoots, with mini-concert promo performances — when she was recovering from the injuries!) But back to my point, she shared the information directly in an interview. Her statements to Kelly Ripa (and her sidekick) of an intended return in 2018 weren’t quite as specific.

I want to believe! I hope we see a release sooner rather than later, but I’ll just try to be patient. I would prefer she feels it is ready, rather than a rush/fiasco like RH. (But I also don’t want her to overthink her instincts and overcook the album, either.)

I imagine Mirwais’ production requires a lot of painstaking work and detailing. So it may be taking just a little longer than initially imagined. Conjecture on my part, though.

Work can mean so much than studio work. As we know. Artwork is not made. Final mastering. Final cut for songs. The order of the songs etc. Even vidéoclip concept. Futur performance overlook etc. And etc and etc. 

Or 

recording new songs with new producer and blah blah 

Old pik,, but still keeps me pumped... waiting for a release of something/anything.  and with all this raw footage and instagram stuff could mean the 3rd or 4th single video is in the bag as it  could be another Miles Away type video 😉 . getting ahead of myself but hopefully/maybe for some docu series or behind the scenes thingie would be icing on the cake (wishful thinking).

I can/can't wait :fag:

2018-news-01-400-664-png.png

Although it wouldn't exactly REALLY be a surprise, as we've know for a while that she's been working on the album, and with the media saying it's coming this year. I guess Eminem didn't announce anything prior to dropping the album, not even a hint?

Short attention spans, immediate buzz, Twitter trends, leakgates, I guess the times of official announcements months in advance are over. 

I had a dream last night : the album was set to be released on September 28th, was called TRANSATLANTIC, and the artwork was an hideous selfie in the VMAs outfit.

4 hours ago, Andra said:

Although it wouldn't exactly REALLY be a surprise, as we've know for a while that she's been working on the album.

Since this "surprise release" has been credited to Beyoncé( sorry to bring her name here), i must say she had already  leaked "Flawless" as "Bow down/I been on" and that was in march 2013, her album only came out in december of that year, yet was considered a surprise, when in truth everybody knew she was working on that album; same with Lemonade, formation was released in february 2016, followed by silence then two months later she dropped another "surprise album" with HBO releasing the film and doing the promo for her.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2013/03/18/beyonce-leaks-bow-downi-been-on-lil-wayne-is-recovering/

So far nothing leaked yet and i hope it stays that way; but about a surprise release, i don't know if that would be good for her, i really think she needs a good marketing campaign for this album.

16 minutes ago, Ozze said:

Since this "surprise release" has been credited to Beyoncé( sorry to bring her name here), i must say she had already  leaked "Flawless" as "Bow down/I been on" and that was in march 2013, her album only came out in december of that year, yet was considered a surprise, when in truth everybody knew she was working on that album; same with Lemonade, formation was released in february 2016, followed by silence then two months later she dropped another "surprise album" with HBO releasing the film and doing the promo for her.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2013/03/18/beyonce-leaks-bow-downi-been-on-lil-wayne-is-recovering/

So far nothing leaked yet and i hope it stays that way; but about a surprise release, i don't know if that would be good for her, i really think she needs a good marketing campaign for this album.

👍🏻

Yep, even when RH was announced and had promo and the leak stuff everywhere, a lot of people didn’t knew at the time that she had a new album out, I think also because there wasn’t a hit out there to workout the promo.

Yes she did a lot of interviews and talk shows and it helped because the album moved 900k copies but still casual listeners or soccer moms didn’t knew.

2 hours ago, Iconic Fetus said:

Yep, even when RH was announced and had promo and the leak stuff everywhere, a lot of people didn’t knew at the time that she had a new album out, I think also because there wasn’t a hit out there to workout the promo.

Yes she did a lot of interviews and talk shows and it helped because the album moved 900k copies but still casual listeners or soccer moms didn’t knew.

Of course people knew she had an album out after she did the RH promos - in the UK  if u didn’t know then u sure did after the Brit’s fall: it was all over the papers the next day and on social media...

Radio didn’t play her, that was the key. GP need to hear songs subconsciously throughout the day on the radio in the car, in the malls, on social media, on tv adverts for them to be hits...

that fucking keekee song by Drake  - I heard it on the album once when it was released then never listened again until all of a sudden I started to humm it in my subconscious mind after hearing it so much on social media etc so I ended up downloading it and listened to it a lot on my playlist now 

If radio ain’t playing M then she needs to get adverts out n get her song on a tv show etc

1 minute ago, Magician said:

Last night I dreamt she performed on The Tonight Show 

I Wanna Dance With Somebody

Rescue Me (Lifeboat Vocal Mix)

New Song

That would be fantastic.

25 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

Of course people knew she had an album out after she did the RH promos - in the UK  if u didn’t know then u sure did after the Brit’s fall: it was all over the papers the next day and on social media...

Radio didn’t play her, that was the key. GP need to hear songs subconsciously throughout the day on the radio in the car, in the malls, on social media, on tv adverts for them to be hits...

No they didn't. Most people in the UK think her last song was that Timberlake duet. And how come of all the hundreds of thousands of people who viewed The Brits performance to see the fall didn't also think "hey that's a pretty good song" and download or stream it? We know the answer to that.

And if they want radio play then they can  1) Release a great radio friendly song and/or  2) Pay for it. Like everyone else does.

11 hours ago, adirondak said:

Oh how I wish that had happened the week of A Star is Born's release

Twenty One Pilots are launching TRENCH, their long awaited fifth album with a huge campaign behind and after breaking records with Bluryface, that same day.

So all focus is gonna be on them.

Artists are releasing two and three singles before launching the a second bum.  Panic at the Disco, finished the bulk bbn of the tour before releasing the album.  Troye Sivan's album dropped at midnight with three singles already out.  I believe that a single release is imminent if we are to have a 2018 release.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

No they didn't. Most people in the UK think her last song was that Timberlake duet. And how come of all the hundreds of thousands of people who viewed The Brits performance to see the fall didn't also think "hey that's a pretty good song" and download or stream it? We know the answer to that.

And if they want radio play then they can  1) Release a great radio friendly song and/or  2) Pay for it. Like everyone else does.

What do u think people thought they were listening to when they watched that brits performance - a song from her back catalogue!

& the day after in the morning newspapers do u not think that it was mentioned that she was singing LFL from her latest album RH?

my point was in relation to having  huge big selling popular hit again - that without the songs bieng around people in their daily lives (radio,tv, car, mall etc) it doesn’t stick in their minds which leads to sales etc - U NEED this combined with the performances.

19 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

What do u think people thought they were listening to when they watched that brits performance - a song from her back catalogue!

& the day after in the morning newspapers do u not think that it was mentioned that she was singing LFL from her latest album RH?

my point was in relation to having  huge big selling popular hit again - that without the songs bieng around people in their daily lives (radio,tv, car, mall etc) it doesn’t stick in their minds which leads to sales etc - U NEED this combined with the performances.

The populace in general doesn't know that Madonna's still making albums regardless of the tiny part of the population that happened to catch her Jonathan Ross interview or saw the one tv ad that played on ITV3 at 11:30pm.

Regardless of what those who watched her Brits perf thought Living For Love was, none of them thought it was good enough to buy or stream.

Yes she does need that exposure you speak of, but with her current set up, it ain't happening. 

love this article on Billlboard.com… it agrees with most comments I seen here in the last eight months.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8472699/madonna-new-album-five-suggestions

Hark! Celestial trumpets are sounding from the clouds hovering near the heavens! It can only mean one thing: Her Madgesty, the Queen Of Pop, has new material on the way.

… the good news is that her 14th LP is on its way, and she’s absolutely got it in her to give us a batch of tunes to be reckoned with. After all, you don’t become the queen without capturing lightning in a bottle multiple times over.

Her unrivaled string of hit releases in the 1980s seemed to all be building toward the golden -- actually, make that quadruple-Platinum -- Like A Prayer in 1989, an album that would have been an enviable career best for any other artist if they’d simply stopped there. But this is Madonna! She proceeded to triumphantly march forward by eschewing the big, glossy sound that helped make her famous and stripping down -- both the music and, um, herself -- and giving us 1992’s brilliant, confessional house-pop hybrid Erotica. The Queen of Pop would end the second decade of her reign with her pièce de résistance, 1998's reflective Ray of Light. Her seventh studio album, it saw her pick up a staggering 10 statues between the Grammys and the MTV Video Music Awards alone.

madonna-02-fea-2018-billboard-1500.jpg
Subsequent years have seen tireless Madge raise her kids, direct films, open schools, launch a chain of gyms and launch clothing and skincare lines. Those consistently fantastic full length releases, meanwhile, tapered off after 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, a bumping, peak-hour trek through clubland that earned the singer yet another Grammy. That’s not to say Madonna’s post-Confessions studio albums are all bad by any means -- the urban thump of 2008's Hard Candy remains a mostly satisfying experience, thanks to the focus of collaborators Timbaland, Justin Timberlake and Pharrell Williams; while 2015's Rebel Heart, though spotty, contains about seven playlist-worthy tracks throughout.

Looking on the bright side, the best could very well still be to come with Madonna’s 14th studio release. What do we want from it? Nothing short of everything, of course. But we’d settle for any (or all!) of the following.

1.  Let Madonna Sing

You know what needs to be hung up? Auto-Tune. At least in the Queen of Pop's case. This is Madonna, and she’s amassed a loyal army of fans, sold hundreds of millions of records and inspired countless Gwens, Britneys, Katys and Gagas by simply being herself.

Cuts from the last decade like “Ghosttown” and “Messiah” off Rebel Heart, MDNA’s “Masterpiece” and Hard Candy single “Miles Away” seem, for the most part, to be devoid of too much technical wizardry affecting her voice. And she sounds great on each one! Alas, for every one of those, there’s been a “Bitch I’m Madonna,” “Girl Gone Wild” or “Give It 2 Me” -- performances that find the singer coming off like she downed a vocoder smoothie before stepping to the mic.

Madonna, voice included, is a national treasure. Also, she kicked ass performing live at the Met Gala in New York three months ago. Just give it to us plain and simple going forward.

2.  Stick With One or Two Producers, Rather Than Ten

This is something we all want, including Madonna! In February, upon her manager Guy Oseary commemorating the 20-year anniversary of Ray of Light on Instagram, the pop legend lamented the following in the comments: “Can you help me now please! Remember when i made records with other artists from beginning to end and I was allowed to be a visionary and not to have to go to song writing camps where No one can sit still for more than 15 minutes…”

Well, damn. That’s quite to the point. Think of Madonna’s work with Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray on Like a Prayer; Shep Pettibone and Andre Betts on Erotica; William Orbit on Ray of Light; or Stuart Price on Confessions on a Dance Floor. They were cohesive, ahead-of-the-curve albums, one and all. Now try to count the writers and producers she was thrown together with for her two most recent LPs, MDNA and Rebel Heart. There aren’t enough fingers and toes.

What’s promising is the fact that Madonna appears to be collaborating once more with French “Disco God” Mirwais Ahmadzai, the lone producer behind her 2003 fan-favorite release American Life. Like the above-mentioned albums, American Life is noteworthy for its singular sound and vision.

3.  A European Influence

Who doesn’t love hip-hop, right? But okay, let’s try this: Who wants to hear Madonna rapping? Exactly.

From the role Spanish music has played in classic cuts like “La Isla Bonita,” “Who’s That Girl” and “Deeper And Deeper” to her work with European collaborators like Orbit, Ahmadzai and Price, Madonna has typically been strongest with she aims for a more global vibe. Let’s hope her current status as a resident of Lisbon -- and, again, her hitting the studio with Ahmadzai -- has the superstar singer brewing some cutting edge beats once more, a la when she cranked out Confessions during her years spent living in London.

4.  No Features Necessary

When was the last time you shot up out of bed and said, “I really can’t imagine how hollow ‘Give Me All Your Luvin’’ might have been if LMFAO hadn’t lent their angelic pipes to the ‘Party Rock Remix’”? Never, that’s when. Likewise, who in the world was asking for Mike Tyson to pop up on Rebel Heart track “Iconic”? Madonna probably doesn’t even remember the fact that M.I.A. appears on ridiculously unnecessary MDNA bonus cut “B-Day Song.”

One of Madonna’s impressive feats is that for the first 25 years of her career, she largely managed to avoid recording a duet with another artist. When the Justin Timberlake-featuring “4 Minutes” came along as Hard Candy’s lead single in 2008, sure, it went on to become one of her biggest hits in the digital era. But it played, vocally, like Timberlake had hijacked Madonna’s own song from her.   

Fans have shown up to the Madonna party for four decades now. They’ll likely keep doing so even if Nicki Minaj isn’t in the credits.

5.  A Return to Upbeat, Escapist Pop

Remember “Borderline”? “Open Your Heart”? “Express Yourself”? “Vogue”? “Deeper And Deeper”? “Ray Of Light”? “Beautiful Stranger”? “Jump”? Irresistible and hooky, one and all. More of that, please.

Yes, artists evolve and mature. But you know what would be revolutionary 35 years into the Queen of Pop’s truly remarkable story? Getting back to her roots! We don’t need her to save the planet. Nor are we looking to her to fix the political system. Upon the release of Confessions on a Dance Floor 14 years ago, Madonna stated, “I feel that I just want to have fun; I want to dance; I want to feel buoyant. And I want to give other people the same feeling. There's a lot of madness in the world around us, and I want people to be happy.” That’s a distraction we’ll still gladly accept from her.

In the end, all we really want from Madonna is to put the current state of the world on a shelf for a bit, and get into her groove as we have so many times before.