Is the "Fake news" and "Alternative Facts" rants getting dangerous

I know that Trumpsters are not the sharpest tools in the shed but it is disturbing to see so many now blindly believing the obvious lies that come out of Donald Trump's mouth and believing that any media that questions him is the enemy of the people.   Have recently seen many media analysers and reporters talk about how they are jeered, treated like scum and not listened to after doing major research while being heckled with cries of Fake news and threatened with violence.  Some saying that it is spreading more and more and not just from Trump fanatics.  His twitter comments themselves are like being in an imaginary universe where actively lying while mocking others is happening and people are aware of it and are not even shocked about it. 

With  individuals in the media having too much ownership of the press,  they are actively spreading their own ideology and agenda. We can see from Fox news for example, that Trump is excused for everything.  Not one ounce of trying to discuss issues regarding him with any kind of difference of opinions.   Also with so much garbage and outright lies being peddled on the internet,  are we facing a threat of being completely dumbed down ?   I am confident and hopeful that young people will not let that happen and learn from history (  how sickening it is to see historical footage of people thinking that Concentration camps were simply Health camps due to the government controlling the media and straight out propaganda )  It is a proven method that is used all the time by Dictators and should never be used in a democracy. It is still used in many major countries in the World.   It is obscene to know that some of the Chinese people are not aware of the massacre in Tiananmen Square because all mentions of it are scrubbed from media in China.  Hundreds of students gunned down and people too afraid to discuss it or not even aware of it. 

The next election in the USA will completely show the story.  Journalists need to be able to report and investigate things without the government mocking them or riling up people to see them as the enemy of the people. 

It's very dangerous as now it's proven that it works. And it works big time. You spread lies on immigration and refugees and terrorists and you get millions of votes from stupid racists citizens. It's worked in Germany, UK, Italy, Hungary, France, USA... 

In Spain the conservative party is at its lowest and since last month the campaign against immigrants is full force. In only this month racists people are appearing everywhere!!!! 

Yes, it is terribly dangerous because they destroy little by little democracy as we know it. Russia has been using false news in her country since the fall of communism, which has led to the totalitarian regimes disguised as democracy now in place. If you are interested in reading a good book about the dangers that threaten our political systems, I invite you to read The plot against democracy: How Putin and His Spies Are Undermining America and Dismantling the West by Malcom Nance who works for the New York Times. 

It's absolutely dangerous. And terrifying. We are seeing the very real consequences of lies and propaganda in a way I don't think many are/were prepared for.

As soon as we started hearing the terms themselves - "fake news" and especially "alternative facts" - that was the beginning of the end. This sort of blatant normalization of what are just outright LIES as if they're "just another point of view". Dangerous road to go down...and when it's coming from the head of state and his minions, a outright cult rooted in blatant conspiracy theory meets wannabe fascist dictator, then you know you're in some real trouble. And sadly the actual news outlets are not really counteracting it as they should be...in fact, they take the bait far too much and just give it a bigger platform. (but that's also a side effect of the 24 hour news outlets period). We've already seen it with the Alex Jones shit. Some people actually end up dead. There are very real consequences to all this... The currency of fear, pandered directly to the willfully ignorant and proudly prejudiced, is some powerful shit...and certain powers-that-be know exactly what they're doing by deliberately stoking those flames through the strings of their puppets...

If only enough people could wake up and realize it's a blatant tactic (and not even a new one) to get us all to turn against each other to slowly dismantle western democracy from the inside out...

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience in my country, those who whine about fake news regarding the local politics are also purveyor of fake news themselves. The truth is somewhere in the middle and not just on one specific side is how I view things now.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:37 PM, karbatal said:

It's very dangerous as now it's proven that it works. And it works big time. You spread lies on immigration and refugees and terrorists and you get millions of votes from stupid racists citizens. It's worked in Germany, UK, Italy, Hungary, France, USA... 

In Spain the conservative party is at its lowest and since last month the campaign against immigrants is full force. In only this month racists people are appearing everywhere!!!! 

Yes, I see it especially with the racism, people that I didn´t. Know were racist, are believing everthing they say about inmigrants, and are showing their true colours.

anyways, I think they have always been fake news: but this time thw governments are unable to control them, when back inthe day they were mostly the ones behind them.Now we have a lof of info that says the opposite one to the other, and people decide which “truth” they prefer to believe