Burberry burns items - luxury brands destroy stock

Burberry burns unsold products and not everyone is buying why

There are calls for an overhaul of the fashion industry after the upmarket British fashion label Burberry says it burned unsold clothes, accessories and perfume worth over $50 million last year to protect its brand.

It takes the total value of goods it has destroyed over the past five years to more than $150 million.

Fashion firms including Burberry destroy unwanted items to prevent them being stolen or sold cheaply.

The Times reported shareholders were unhappy with the practice — critics have reacted angrily on social media, concerned luxury brands don't want "poor people" to wear the items.

Quite common in the luxury fashion industry. It's to protect the high price (over priced, should I say) of their products. 

Capitalism at its best.

Burberry brit is one of my fav perfume, though

In Manhattan over the years I’ve seen many big retailers at night throw out in their trash piles of clothes and shoes shredded to pieces. Meanwhile there are homeless people sleeping right next to the trash!

1 minute ago, Magician said:

In Manhattan over the years I’ve seen many big retailers at night throw out in their trash piles of clothes and shoes shredded to pieces. Meanwhile there are homeless people sleeping right next to the trash!

It is obscene. The high fashion industry is so shallow. The thought of someone poor wearing last season's clothes is poison to them. Even though their " followers " would not be seen dead in last season's looks. :wacko: Shows too how fickle people are who simply follow brand names. If the clothes and items were so valuable, they would not over produce them or dare burn them. They don't even let them become vintage now which proves they are all brand name not quality. 

They are idiots. Just slow down your fucking production . Supply and demand

why would I buy anything Burberry at full retail? I’d still buy a discounted trench coat though 

• 1 month later...

On 7/24/2018 at 12:02 PM, Starman said:

Oh thats awful, not only for the costumers but an  envriomental disaster

I never knew about these practices

You should see the amount of food That’s waster per year. 

Now that’s a real tragedy. 

On 7/23/2018 at 4:11 PM, Magician said:

It's very silly. Disgusting. Do people still wear Burberry anymore?