M14 updates 2

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

How many times do I need to have this conversation?

I put it in the context of where I live. The UK, which is (was) Madonna's second biggest market. RH opened on a shockingly low number, it has sold badly in total, her reputation is in tatters and her last tour took forever to "sell out". The sum total of her promo was a performance where she fell on her arse and one television interview. People think Madonna's last record was that one with Justin Timberlake. Get it? So ANYTHING better than that is what I want, not "20 million albums sold". 

So tell me Kim what do you want from her next promo? She did the fucking Brits last time and it didn't work. Why wait spring for the album then? She can do Jonathan Ross (another promo that didn't work) and Graham Norton in the fall too. Do you want a spring release just for the Brits?

4 minutes ago, Andra said:

What she needs is a really great song

I want a critically acllaimed album more than a best sellers. I know it’s not important in a way, but I want a fucking great album. That’s what I want. It looks like it’s what she wants too since Diplo, Pharrell and the “hit makers” are out of the picture and Mirwais is in again.

Edited by cosmic_system

1 minute ago, cosmic_system said:

So tell me Kim what do you want from her next promo? She did the fucking Brits last time and it didn't work. Why wait spring for the album then? She can do Jonathan Ross (another promo that didn't work) and Graham Norton in the fall too. Do you want a spring release just for the Brits?

So you think that one performance (of a shit song - THAT was the problem) and one interview that played weeks after the album was out and probbaly DID stop it from falling out the Top 40  is adequate promo? There wasn't even a fucking TV advert or radio spot or record store display or magazine article to be found. This situation was echoed throughout the world, so maybe this "RH got great promo" (why, because she did a week on Ellen?) needs to stop. 

And yes, a good promo strategy takes time, MONEY and effort. If it takes them longer to organize that and to commit to that, then so be it. 

3 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

I want a critically acllaimed album more than a best sellers. I know it’s not important in a way, but I want a fucking great album. That’s what I want. It looks like it’s what she wants too since Diplo, Pharrell and the “hit makers” are out of the picture and Mirwais is in again.

And I'm sure it's just coincidence that those albums that are most critically acclaimed and that are universally embraced just happened to have also got good promo and sold well, eh?

that's the thing.. if the music is really good, I think madonna is the kind of artist who can sell a lot. Im not talking big numbers like adele, but big numbers for madonna in this digital age. it may be a slow grower, but I believe that when the work is great (including the performances), we'll see the benefit of that in sales AND especially ticket sales.

10 minutes ago, Kim said:

So you think that one performance (of a shit song - THAT was the problem) and one interview that played weeks after the album was out and probbaly DID stop it from falling out the Top 40  is adequate promo? There wasn't even a fucking TV advert or radio spot or record store display or magazine article to be found. This situation was echoed throughout the world, so maybe this "RH got great promo" (why, because she did a week on Ellen?) needs to stop. 

And yes, a good promo strategy takes time, MONEY and effort. If it takes them longer to organize that and to commit to that, then so be it. 

How do you know the promo is not already planned? Yes it takes time and strategy, but if they are not interested in that it doesn’t change a single thing if she release the album in november instead of april.

The RH promo was good to me because she finally did some TV shows. She was back on Italian tv after 15 years, she did promo in France, Uk, America. She did lots of stuff compared to the zero promo she did for Hard Candy and MDNA. 

Edited by cosmic_system

4 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

How do you know the promo is not already planned? Yes it takes time and strategy, but if they are not interested in that it doesn’t change a single thing if she release the album in november instead of april.

Because at this point I have ZERO faith in any of the proven incompetents that surround Madonna, that's why.

Just now, Kim said:

Because at this point I have ZERO faith in any of the proven incompetents that surround Madonna, that's why.

So she should scrap the album? Her team sucks and we know it, and it’s probably not going to change soon. Just enjoy the music. 

3 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

So she should scrap the album? Her team sucks and we know it, and it’s probably not going to change soon. Just enjoy the music. 

Yeah that's what I said, she should scrap the album :confused:

And stop trying to make this into a good music vs promo/sales thing. It just so happens that both go hand in hand for EVERY artist.

LFL was released in Dec 14, she performed it at the Brit’s at end of Feb 15! No way was it going to chart top 5 even with the publicity from the fall. LFL was a great track & RH a great album but we know what the problems were from wrong track list to production choice to the leaks. 

The promo was good but all the ingredients need to be write for a smash hit! 

Just think about Ray Of Light - if it was a shit album would the promo have really done much? & vice-versa, Great album but the promo shit?

X factor is the more natural choice for her to promote on in the UK but if she chooses Strictly then her performance needs to be dance orientated so that it blends well with the theme of the show.

omg let her perform at heaven/g.a.y too! I’ll b there in a 💗 

4 minutes ago, Kim said:

Yeah that's what I said, she should scrap the album :confused:

And stop trying to make this into a good music vs promo/sales thing. It just so happens that both go hand in hand for EVERY artist.

Ok. 

This thread made me so happy with the news about the release later this year and then... All these arguments. Are guys serious? New music is coming soon!!! Queen is giving life once again and she gonna slay!!! Can’t wait!!! 🙏🏼😍♥️✨

Since we are talking about promo again.

We've got the largest label in the world, Universal, that has had record profits and revenue in 2017 and 2018 so far.

The largest touring company, Livenation, that like Universal had a record breaking year in 2017 and 2018 appears to be even better.

Maverick, one of the largest artist management companies in the world.

So, we've got 3 companies involved, 2 of which are giants that completely dominate their fields. You'd think they could figure out how to promote an album, right? Or maybe that's the problem? That we have too many players involved and nobody does much because they don't feel like they completely "own" the project?

Also, it appears that Maverick is transitioning into a label again along with its artist management aspect. They hired some very big names in the label industry in 2017 and 2018.

Here are some interesting articles:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8265500/maverick-meredith-gardner-svp-digital

Maverick has appointed Meredith Gardner to serve as senior vp of the company's digital division where she will lead Maverick's digital team and consult on digital marketing for Maverick’s roster of artists. Gardner will be based in Beverly Hills and report to Greg Thompson, president of Maverick. She previously worked in a similar position at Capitol Music.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8098334/maverick-hires-alisann-blood-brand-partnerships

Live Nation Entertainment and Maverick announced on Monday (Feb. 5) that Alisann Blood has joined the company as senior vice president, brand partnerships. In this newly created role, Blood will lead the Maverick’s brand marketing efforts and develop strategic relationships, reporting to Maverick’s president Greg Thompson.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8046976/lee-anne-callahan-longo-joins-maverick

Lee Anne Callahan-Longo, Who Helped Build Beyonce's Parkwood, Joins Maverick

Universal, Livenation, Maverick, Interscope and whoever else is involved better figure it out this time. Lol.

Madonna is known for  lead singles like Hung Up, Music, Frozen that have massive universal appeal worldwide. That's what's she needs again to get some attention. A song anyone in the world could relate to.

I'm not a huge fan of Oseary.

I think the main reason Madonna likes him, and will keep him, is because he's very financially oriented and so is Madonna.

Personally I just want good music. Madonna is a mother of 6 children now, so if she can't do a lot of promo I completely understand. Just let her make the music

17 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

LFL was released in Dec 14, she performed it at the Brit’s at end of Feb 15! No way was it going to chart top 5 even with the publicity from the fall. 

Not true. LFL was withheld from UK itunes until the single release in February. Her Brits performance was in the same week. It topped the UK itunes chart earlier that week. The whole point of promo anyway is to get people who arent big fans who already buy everything to also buy it. It didn't work and the single didn't even go top 20.  

25 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

Just think about Ray Of Light - if it was a shit album would the promo have really done much? & vice-versa, Great album but the promo shit?

The excellent promo campaign featuring the all new spiritual earthy new mommy Madonna (provided by an expert outside promo company) obviously worked. The album was given that promo treatment because it was a great album and because she was still with a record company that cared about her being great.

27 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

X factor is the more natural choice for her to promote on in the UK but if she chooses Strictly then her performance needs to be dance orientated so that it blends well with the theme of the show.

Not true again. X factor is now a national laughing stock that no one watches anymore. Most performers on SCD, regardless of genre, simply stand and sing while a dance performance tailored to the song goes on around them.

Guest NewYorkCam

I won't totally believe it until I have an official release date of a single/album, but I'm more hopeful than ever that new music is really on the way this year .. exciting times!

And will radio play the new portugise/african/malawi inspired Record shes about to put out? Is it trendy now?

Or is this more like a concept/world music album that has a very Limited audience?

11 minutes ago, Kim said:

Not true. LFL was withheld from UK itunes until the single release in February. Her Brits performance was in the same week.

Which was a supremely idiotic business decision in this day and age of downloads and streaming and not to mention the entire thing had leaked! But I digress and let’s not go over this one again we’ve only discussed it 54882 times

36 minutes ago, Kim said:

Not true. LFL was withheld from UK itunes until the single release in February. Her Brits performance was in the same week. It topped the UK itunes chart earlier that week. The whole point of promo anyway is to get people who arent big fans who already buy everything to also buy it. It didn't work and the single didn't even go top 20.  

The excellent promo campaign featuring the all new spiritual earthy new mommy Madonna (provided by an expert outside promo company) obviously worked. The album was given that promo treatment because it was a great album and because she was still with a record company that cared about her being great.

Not true again. X factor is now a national laughing stock that no one watches anymore. Most performers on SCD, regardless of genre, simply stand and sing while a dance performance tailored to the song goes on around them.

the promo campaign for ROL was the best ever. it had a feeling she was born again .. of course they had the perfect material to promote but still..

2 hours ago, acko said:

Look, I want her 2 do well 2. But i'm so over this fixation with the promo stuff.

She debuted in ANOTHER CENTRURY. She 60 Y.O. and the most inluential female pop artist of ALL TIME.

I just want the music 2 b good. That's all. I don't care bout how many people watch X factor or the fucking Brit Awards.

I'd rather have a gazillion interviews cuz I wanna hear her talk and know more...u know stuff like that.

Indeed

34 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

And will radio play the new portugise/african/malawi inspired Record shes about to put out? Is it trendy now?

Or is this more like a concept/world music album that has a very Limited audience?

radio won't touch a 60 years old singer ,we all know that..and so does Madonna !She's no fool

So if she likes to put this kind of record i'm totally on board

i don't want another album.. I want a great album

and please no more songs about sex.. now is the time for reinvention.. i seriously can't wait and i'm super excited about the news

come on M ,show us your MAGIC (once again)

Mirwais and Madonna plus that post about disco make some think of the huge impact Music had in 2000.

A killer full force dance lead single is what I’m here for !!!

1 minute ago, sotos8 said:

and please no more songs about sex.. now is the time for reinvention.. i seriously can't wait and i'm super excited about the news

come on M ,show us your MAGIC (once again)

3 minutes ago, idro said:

IMG_20180731_222028.png

Screenshot_2018-07-31-22-26-43.png