MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedey

Music CONSUMPTION topic 2018 version!

So do you still buy CDs? Vinyl? Do you buy iTunes releases? Do you stream only ? Do you do all the above? 

Do you still own any of your physical album collection? 

(And stop trying make tapes happen tapes will never happen - fuck you Kilo Mango!)

15 minutes ago, Suedy said:

So do you still buy CDs? Vinyl? Do you buy iTunes releases? Do you stream only ? Do you do all the above? 

(And stop trying make tapes happen tapes will never happen - fuck you Kilo Mango!)

Rarely CDs. More vinyl. iTunes/digital if no physical is available. Have spotify premium but mainly for those times when I'm in charge of the music in a party or similar situations and for trashy stuff not even I would buy 

I only stream

I put my cds in boxes and now only stream. I have never in my lived had that Syndrome of Missing Out so I live in my own bubble with songs I find cute and interesting in list in my Spotify and artists I discover because they are simmilar to others I put on those lists. 

I have only played Kylie's cd once, but I have streamed it almost every day. It is funny because I have played the cassette at least 50 times in the car, so that makes 50/1 in the cassette/cd competition :lol:

I was commenting with my hubby the other day about Madonna releasing the new album in cassette. We cross our fingers, we are so happy with the cassette recording of the car! It is so nice NOT TO SKIP! I mean, even if you don't like a song, you listen to it because it is a bore to Fast Forward in cassettes. 

I mostly stream using my Bluetooth speaker, but I still listen to cds on my stereo too. I don’t play my vinyl. 

I still collect vinyl and buy some cds. I refuse to buy songs or albums on digital. 

I still buy CD’s (most of them are: Madonna, Queen and Chicane, for example).

I often use Spotify while I’m driving. 

3 hours ago, Suedy said:

:chuckle: 

Can't recall when was the last time I play a CD.

But I'm playing vinyl weekly due to the recent discovery that how good the sound is on LP + the fact I bought a vinyl player + RSD releases etc.

No digital music for me. I stream free from youtube.

3 hours ago, Suedy said:

Tapes will NEVER EVER happen because people have other devices. It is only some kind of "prop" to have and all that. 

It is only me who still has a tape player :lmao: 

I did an article on cassettes a couple of weeks ago and one man from the shop told me "who would be insane enough to play them? This is just a silly trend" and I was like "oh, reaaaaaallyyyyy????" but I put my journalism serious mask and didn't say anything :chuckle:

My little son got a kiddie radio/tape deck/CD thingy last Christmas and a couple of days ago I had to rewind a complete tape side and it was pure time wasting nightmare. I had forgotten how much I hated that shit and so we bought him a proper Tonie Box yesterday like any normal parent if 2018 would do. :smoke:

So no, never in my life will I return to physicals again, other than sentimental collectors stuff maybe. 

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

Tapes will NEVER EVER happen because people have other devices. It is only some kind of "prop" to have and all that. 

It is only me who still has a tape player :lmao: 

I did an article on cassettes a couple of weeks ago and one man from the shop told me "who would be insane enough to play them? This is just a silly trend" and I was like "oh, reaaaaaallyyyyy????" but I put my journalism serious mask and didn't say anything :chuckle:

It's still selling on Amazon :dazed: 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cassette+player

I rip songs from YouTube and use blogs for MP3s. I curate my own playlists and use Google play to listen to them on multiple devices. I buy the latest limited edition Madonna vinyls but that's it now.

I've done loads of edits of dance songs so I load those up.

I've tried streaming but the selection is so piss poor, most of the songs I want to listen to aren't on there.

I stopped buying CDs in 2008. From 2008 at the beginning of this year, I bought about fifteen digital records a year, mostly from Quebec artists and Madonna. This year, I completely switched to streaming. I have not yet resolved to store the 500 cd that take the dust in my libraries.

I still buy CDs, especially Madonna. But I don’t listen to the CDs very much. I have an iPod, and I either rip the CD to .mp3, or else, if I buy it from Amazon, sometimes I automatically receive a digital download. So I listen to music on my iPod mostly. I do not stream on any service. I will preview music by listening to album tracks on YouTube.

I’ve got a very small vinyl collection — Madonna only. Most recent one I bought was RH, of course.

The most recent CDs I bought that were not Madonna were Goldfrapp and U2. I still haven’t even listened to the U2 album. 

My computer (personal computer, not work computer) was still running Windows XP and dated back to 2004 finally gave up the ghost last month. That was the one I used for running my iTunes (to connect to the iPod), so I’m a little “frozen” right now. I’ll need to get that sorted before Madonna’s next album, which I’ll buy in multiple formats, as usual.

16 hours ago, Suedy said:

1.Yes, but not as often as I used to. 2. Rarely  3. Often  4. I've been streaming quite a lot lately.  5. I guess so. :)

6. I still own all of it, but I've been thinking of getting rid of records I don't really care about, also because I used to get a lot of them for free when I was doing work for a record company. 

I don't really remember the last time I played a CD, however I still like to have my favorite records in a physical format. 

1. I buy CDs for my favorite artists and rip them into mp3 and never play the physical CD again
  2. I download music too & never stream because I love to keep the music on my devices.
  3. I never purchased music from iTUNES.
  4. I have some old vintage vinyls Jacques Brel , Mozart & Edith Piaf belong to my parents but I dont have a phonograph player. lol

Great topic.

This is a milestone year for me, the first in which I decided to stop buying cds except for deluxe reissues and my top 5 artists.  I've been using Spotify premium for several years, but had continued to purchase cds to support the artist.  A futile effort. 

I brought my CD player back into my living room earlier this year, and found that I didn't love listening to it.  I like playing albums on Spotify via my phone so that I can move from room to room, go for a walk etc.  

However, I listen to cds in my car daily while driving to and from work.  I like convenience and no hassle, and oddly enough, I find cds MORE convenient in my car.  Just pop it in rather than hook up my phone.  This may only mean a matter of seconds, but think of all the people who stream in their homes because "it saves times from taking the CD off the shelf and putting it in the player" lol.  Also only a matter of seconds.

To digress, the reasons I still read print books are: 1. I like having one form of entertainment in my life that is separate from a screen; and 2. I simply don't find reading digital books more convenient than print, in fact it's almost pointless to me unless you are traveling or have trouble with eyes and want to enlarge the print.

Kind of long winded answer, but it boils down to Spotify premium for me at home, cds in the car. And I will buy things like the forthcoming Garbage Version 2.0 reissue and always Madonna.

On a final note, I am not one to rush out and sell my collection.  Streaming could go the way of the dinosaurs.  I wanted to get some use out of them, so I now display the art work in my home.

:clap:

I have to say I've started getting rid of my some of my CDs and then I go back and think "Oh what ha-happened to that album" and realise I got rid of it and then I get upset. So I think I will not touch my CDs for now. However, I have about 6 full racks (over 700 CDs!) and I refuse to buy another rack which means that I am confining myself to that number as a total maximum. In a way it's been good but ultimately I think I will get rid of more. 

19 minutes ago, Suedy said:

I have to say I've started getting rid of my some of my CDs and then I go back and think "Oh what ha-happened to that album" and realise I got rid of it and then I get upset. So I think I will not touch my CDs for now. However, I have about 6 full racks (over 700 CDs!) and I refuse to buy another rack which means that I am confining myself to that number as a total maximum. In a way it's been good but ultimately I think I will get rid of more. 

It happened to me too. I was so happy yesterday listening to some songs and I wanted to listent to Sleeping Satellite by Tasmin Archer, but the Extended Version and then I realised that the extended in Spotify is some horrible remix and I was like "omg, where was that cd" and I was unable to find it so I felt sad 😞

And it happened to me this weekend that I was alone because my hubbie was travelling to see his family and I was like "I will watch the Twilight saga" and I was sure it was complete either in Netflix or in Amazon TV and nope, it was only the first and thank god I still had near me my dvds!!!! 

I think in the future we will be up to MANY MANY MANY surprises. Things that suddenly are not to be found in streaming and we will miss our cds. First thing I'm going to do this week is to buy a new DVD/BluRay (the one I have is a bit wonky)  player before they are out of the market or something! 

I know how you feel Karby! I've digitised pretty much all my CD collection but I had a backup emergency last year and some of my files were gone and with it some of my music disappeared so I am always mega careful about getting rid of any CDs. Film DVDs I'm less precious about but my music collection is everything to me! And that does also include concert and music video DVDs!  

Posted (edited)

I stream my music most of the time on Spotify premium when i'm out or laying in bed too lazy to go over to my computer. When i'm on my comp, i listen to all my music either on my iTunes library or youtube (hate free spotify). I buy cds only sometimes so that i can rip it onto my iTunes as i don't really buy digital files from iTunes (only things i can't get physically), and as nostalgia that i remember seeing on the new release shelves as a young kid. I rarely buy vinyls as i don't have a vinyl player and they are too bulky for me as they take up too much space and inconvenient to take everywhere. Most of my cds, I buy them once, look at them, rip them then to put them in storage boxes never to be looked or touched again. I have hundreds and hundreds all packed away and I'm tempted to get rid of them but don't think i can. I have very little use for all of them as they just take too much space, gathers up dust and does nothing all day, possibly only useful as backups in case i lose my iTunes files.

Edited by Jitterbug

The worse thing about streaming is that the quality of cds is gone to the pits. Rebel Heart and Golden sound WORSE than when your cousin Mery Jane recorded that Jason Donovan tape for you in 1989. 

10 hours ago, Suedy said:

I had done that already in the late eighties when I thought I had grown out of prog-rock. Sold full album discographies of Yes, Genesis, Supertramp, King Crimson, ELP, Electric Light Orchestra, Moody Blues... only to buy them again ten years later. I guess I did that with disco, too, although on a minor scale. Fortunately my WestCoast / Yacht rock collection not only remained intact but actually grew ever since, as I never really stopped loving that kind of music.  

Streaming on Spotify premium only for me.

Last Cd I bought was Rebel Heart and the one before was MDNA. 

I still have all my cds, though. Slowly beginning to think I should get rid of them but I'm still hesitating. 

I download music and burn in to a blank CD for my car, and at home I listen to downloaded music and youtube

Apart from M releases, I've bought only a handful of CD albums in the past 4 or 5 years. And once I've ripped them onto my hard drive, I've never taken the actual discs out of their covers. I've also bought a handful of vinyl albums, all of which are numbered limited releases.

Most of the time, I stream my music through Google Play Music, which also allows me to upload stuff to my own GPM library if it isn't already in their catalogue.

I also have about 14K songs on my hard drive, which I listen to when I'm home. However, most audio files on my hard drive are from before 2016.

I still buy CDs.

I listened to a Sophie B Hawkins CD today. The only one that is not in Spotify (I don’t know why). The álbum Wilderness. 

The sound QUALITY!