BUNDLE MAGIC

How do adult-skewing acts fight for chart share in a youth-dominated, streaming-driven market? They leverage their strengths. RCA has proved particularly effective in this sphere with veteran acts that appeal to upper-demo audiences and sell boatloads of tickets. One of these, Dave Matthews Band, is on its way to a #1 chart bow this week (possibly close to 300k) for new set Come Tomorrow bolstered by a big ticket bundle. By offering the album as a package with each ticket sold—for only a nominally higher fee—such artists can compensate for a lack of streaming (and, in Matthews’ case, airplay as well).

This success follows another huge RCA chart win aided by bundling—by pop superstar P!nk. Though she scored hits with her 2017 set Beautiful Trauma and was selling albums and singles, P!nk wasn’t streaming, as her chart competitors were. She was helped to a 407k #1 bow with a bundle last October—the year’s biggest debut by a female artist until Taylor dropped—and popped up to #2 just a few weeks ago, thanks to more ticket redemptions.

It’s time to stop trying to delegitimize or ignore ticket bundling and recognize it for what it is: Another tool in the toolbox artists can utilize for chart success, based on one indisputable metric of popularity

They should definitely go the bundle route again. If promo is good and there’s a strong first single then she could do well. Her streaming numbers are better than they’ve ever been as well.

Is there a chart that measures how much $$$ an album grosses each week? It would be good to measure willingness to pay for music, especially with some artists going to loss-leading discounts and streaming earning hardly anything per stream. Streaming also appears to go against artists that have large catalogues, vs those that only have 1 or 2 albums that get looped.

6 minutes ago, karbatal said:

They should get rid of charts, tbqh. Streaming lies and bundle tricks? What's the point, anyway? 

It does seem entirely manipulatable these days.

Also, being in Australia, bundling means nothing to us, as nobody believes she will come here again.

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Is there a chart that measures how much $$$ an album grosses each week? It would be good to measure willingness to pay for music, especially with some artists going to loss-leading discounts and streaming earning hardly anything per stream. Streaming also appears to go against artists that have large catalogues, vs those that only have 1 or 2 albums that get looped.

Yep, I would love to have a chart of profits of songs and albums. It would be great to see how some artists we don't notice are making lots of money, how others are not making it.. And it would be IMPOSSIBLE to manipulate it with paid streamings and ads. 

MDNA set the trend. It was a massively successful bundle and everyone is doing it now. Both legacy and younger acts.

They completely messed it up with Rebel Heart though.

Physical copy please and all US dates on sale before the album release week so that she can snatch the No1. They completely fucked up with Rebel Heart and she missed the No1 for nothing. She would have had so many consecutive No1 albums.

10 minutes ago, iasonas said:

MDNA set the trend. It was a massively successful bundle and everyone is doing it now. Both legacy and younger acts.

Physical copy please and all US dates on sale before the album release week so that she can snatch the No1. They completely fucked up with Rebel Heart and she missed the No1 for nothing. She would have had so many consecutive No1 albums.

Prince did it first though did he not? 

and that stupid Empire album had so many streaming points and it pushed them past Madonna for the #1 spot after all the numbers were counted. Fast forward a few years and nobody even remembers that shit show. Mess. Further proof though that streaming is important in this day and age.

13 minutes ago, Barbie said:

Prince did it first though did he not? 

and that stupid Empire album had so many streaming points and it pushed them past Madonna for the #1 spot after all the numbers were counted. Fast forward a few years and nobody even remembers that shit show. Mess. Further proof though that streaming is important in this day and age.

Streaming is extreamly important she really needs the label to get out and try to secure a deal in online streaming.

Her digital sales of Hung Up and 4 Minutes were massive so she stated to make a presence on the digital landscape but that hasn’t continued to streaming unfortunately....

11 minutes ago, yououghttavogue said:

Can someone explain to me why Rebel Heart's tour bundle did so poor?

I remember some people weren't able to redeem their copies? MDNA did 180,000 tour bundle copies in its first week, Rebel Heart did like 10,000 copies. I know RH had less dates on sale and wasn't instantly sold out like MDNAT, but still...the difference is drastic. Fuck her incompetent team. 

6 hours ago, yououghttavogue said:

Can someone explain to me why Rebel Heart's tour bundle did so poor?

It was only digital. Like, who's gonna even bother? 

Also, not all US dates went on sale at the same time. Only certain dates were redeemable the 1st week, then others in the 2nd week and then others in the 3rd. If all the the codes from all dates could have been used the 1st week she would have easily snatched the No1.

Why did they do such a stupid thing ? We all know madonna fans are ageing queens and women who still buy physical 

she should go the bundle and multi format and multi coloured vinyl route for the next album. She needs to snatch that transatlantic number 1

7 hours ago, Gus said:

RH's bundle was only digital

And that was the problem.

Does anyone at Interscope know her bloody audience!! 

A physical copy bundle would of been rewarded with loads of sales.

2 hours ago, Confessit said:

And that was the problem.

Does anyone at Interscope know her bloody audience!! 

A physical copy bundle would of been rewarded with loads of sales.

Not only that but she needs to overhaul her entire team. Enough is enough.

3 minutes ago, Barbie said:

Not only that but she needs to overhaul her entire team. Enough is enough.

Well her team don’t care. 

Imterscope have proven that she brought a temporary manager in to launch Ray of Light she could do this again for M14.

The fact that Guy himself used the term non-traditional promo shows that they are fully aware that they don't have a big label behind them to push her music worldwide. If that's what they chose there is nothing we can do.

On 6/17/2018 at 4:19 PM, iasonas said:

this. EASILY shouldve gotten #1 over that shit, now forgotten Empire soundtrack or whatever. Even with Empires high streaming, ALL Guy and M needed to do was put all if not most US dates on sale before the album release  (um...basically exactly what they did 3 yrs earlier lol) How/why did they get it wrong the second time (not the first) lol

39 minutes ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

this. EASILY shouldve gotten #1 over that shit, now forgotten Empire soundtrack or whatever. Even with Empires high streaming, ALL Guy and M needed to do was put all if not most US dates on sale before the album release  (um...basically exactly what they did 3 yrs earlier lol) How/why did they get it wrong the second time (not the first) lol

I know people repeatedly say that Madonna is extremely hands on, but I seriously doubt she's THAT involved. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine Madonna sitting in a room for hours coming up with plans on manipulating the system so she can be number 1 on the charts.

I'm sure it's more like Guy telling her he has it under control and then bam she has a number 2 and she says WTF Guy and he says "non-traditional promo" and she says "I like that, here's another million".

15 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

I know people repeatedly say that Madonna is extremely hands on, but I seriously doubt she's THAT involved. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine Madonna sitting in a room for hours coming up with plans on manipulating the system so she can be number 1 on the charts.

I'm sure it's more like Guy telling her he has it under control and then bam she has a number 2 and she says WTF Guy and he says "non-traditional promo" and she says "I like that, here's another million".

Sorry, I don't buy that.  I do think she's "hands on" much everything she does. Though, in a sense you're right about the fact she's not sitting around thinking of ways for album to go #1, etc, nor do I think Guy is either. He's her business manager. He's just one part of the management team.  I'm sure many suggestions are thrown around to promote her products and she ultimately chooses which way to go. Certainly, I am not naive to think, she isn't influenced by what others say. But that's how it works.  She's no dummy.  She knows what she's doing, and I don't believe for a second she's forced to do anything she doesn't want to do.  I know a lot of people hate Guy here, but I'm pretty indifferent about him. No doubt, he's part of the family. He's not going anywhere, anytime soon.  He may not be perfect, but ultimately Madonna is in charge here!

1 hour ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

I’m honestly pissed RH never reached #”1....

a travesty

the team is stupid and i hope they get some fresh blood in there to wake them up.

they should do half the shows first week and second half following week...i'm sure they were more worried about the big drop off 2nd week....but meh.

Madonna has no idea about her peak positions, charts etc.! She leaves all that to Guy. She only cares about the millions, which is completely fine! She doesn't even know that Holiday never hit top10 on the Hot100. When someone asked her to name some of her Top10 hits she included Holiday. She was like "I have no idea". She's not Mariah.

Remember the cake Guy bought and the party he threw during the MDNA Tour rehearsals for MDNA hitting No1 on the Billboard200? She was like "what is this for?" and Guy was like "MDNA is at No1!". Madonna probably just saw the cake and the 300 million the tour made and thought the era was a massive success for her. And of course 300million is a huge success, it was just not what we were used to when it comes to chart performance etc..

All of us have known since 2012 that things are not going well at all under this new deal, but I think she started seeing the signs only after Rebel Heart tour was announced and began and she saw how few tickets she could sell in huge cities like London and Los Angeles where she used to sell out tons of shows and I am pretty sure she was not a big fan of the tour total gross numbers either. We know she loves her millions and she deserves them!

Remember how Guy had a mini meltdown on twitter when he realized the album missed the No1? Hopefully that was a wake up call to him and he's going to do the bundle the right way this time. Lol.

13 minutes ago, iasonas said:

Remember how Guy had a mini meltdown on twitter when he realized the album missed the No1? Hopefully that was a wake up call to him and he's going to do the bundle the right way this time. Lol.

That was self-complacent and lazy of him... thinking that she will be a safe bet to reach number 1. He forgets it takes a lot of strategy to reach the top, not just a household name and good music, but also marketing savvy and most of all hard work