Migrant rescue ship rejected by Italy invited to dock in Spain

17 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

And then you hear all the "panchito" comments.

The name is not referred to Mexican people, but I agree 100% with what you mean. I hate that nickname with all my heart. 

13 hours ago, promise to try said:

panchito, payo poney, lanza flechas...really some people capable of the worst things

Payo poney is the name given by gypsies to latin people. Analyse it: one of the folks more prosecuted, who suffer more racism, show that racism themselves?. When minorities attack other minorities you can perfectly see that the problem is in the human gene itself. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

The name is not referred to Mexican people, but I agree 100% with what you mean. I hate that nickname with all my heart. 

Tell that to my Mexican friends here in Madrid.

Basically anyone originally from anywhere between Mexico all the way to Argentina can get a "Panchito de mierda" thrown at him/her under some circumstances.

I hate it when I hear it coming from friends/acquaintances and, when they remember I'm there, I'm Venezuelan and I'm listening will get all "oh you know we are joking" or "oh come on, don't get offended, that doesn't apply to you".

9 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

Basically anyone originally from anywhere between Mexico all the way to Argentina can get a "Panchito de mierda" thrown at him/her under some circumstances.

I hate it when I hear it coming from friends/acquaintances and, when they remember I'm there, I'm Venezuelan and I'm listening will get all "oh you know we are joking" or "oh come on, don't get offended, that doesn't apply to you".

it is horrible. Maybe I didn't know because in my city there are not many Mexicans. In fact I was thinking about it some weeks ago, that I don't understand why any Mexican would prefer to go to USA when they could try Spain (when we didn't have such high unemployment). 

With the nicknames to other nationalities happens as it was with gays only 10 years ago. People feel free to joke about it, tell it, knowing that others would agree. The moment they become a bigger minority it will be frown upon. Or at least I hope so. 

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

Me too, and, weirdlly  enough, the people that I have heard using these words, are sons of emigrants too from other parts of spain, butsome of them have sufered for it , and now they are the first ones using the words. again, I bet all kinds of people use them

10 hours ago, promise to try said:

Me too, and, weirdlly  enough, the people that I have heard using these words, are sons of emigrants too from other parts of spain, butsome of them have sufered for it , and now they are the first ones using the words. again, I bet all kinds of people use them

Normally racism comes from inferiority complex. When I was living in Madrid years ago I shared a flat with two Basque girls. They and their Basque friends always criticised Spain and related the flag and nationality with fascism. ALL OF THEM were sons or daughters from Spaniards :lmao:. From Galicia or Andalusia. I tried to explain to them that they were insulting not only me, but their parents too and they couldn't even understand. Thank God some months later they got to know Madrid better and many people from other Spanish regions and changed their tune.

If people REALLY got to know minorities, nationalities, religions...many toxic behaviours would stop.

Now it is happening with Catalonia too... People being so basic that think that alll the country or all the region is the same and using ugly remarks. Absurd. A coworker of mine whose family is from Castilia has family in Catalonia. His cousins there now are unable to have a normal conversation. And yet THEY ALL come from the same Castilian place!