MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Town

Rick Astley Beautiful Life

Out July 20th is the follow-up to Rick's #1 comeback album 50 entitled Beautiful Life and the first single is the title track. The man sold over 40 million records and became a YouTube sensation with the Rickroll phenomena  of his #1 classic "Never Gonna Give You Up".

They're going all out Kylie on this. I liked the singles from the last album but never had any particular interest in him yet my Facebook had an ad for this yesterday and they're doing the multi physical format thing they did with Kilo. Pic disc, cassette etc.

Not heard a single yet though!

I loved his first album so much. In fact, I learned English with that album. For me it is a pop masterpiece. He really is a very talented guy and I am so glad he's enjoying this second chance!!!! 

By the way, he sold SO MANY ALBUMS with his last cd! I wonder if he will do it again. 

Music is so unfair with women, though. I mean, if Kylie had released this type of song she would have flopped even harder than with Golden. But if a man releases a classic formula it is well recieved as long as it is a good song. 

Women have to reinvent the wheel with every release and yet men... Look at Bruce Springsteen, older than Madonna, classic tunes and everybody clapping and cheering.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:42 PM, karbatal said:

I loved his first album so much. In fact, I learned English with that album. For me it is a pop masterpiece. He really is a very talented guy and I am so glad he's enjoying this second chance!!!! 

By the way, he sold SO MANY ALBUMS with his last cd! I wonder if he will do it again. 

My Mother used to play that a lot.

Has it ever been remastered? One would think Cherry Red records would have got their claws into it considering they've released most of the SAW stuff from the 80's.

2 hours ago, Crux said:

My Mother used to play that a lot.

Has it ever been remastered? One would think Cherry Red records would have got their claws into it considering they've released most of the SAW stuff from the 80's.

Yes, Cherry already released a double CD, remastered with rarities. It is such a great and wonderful album. 

I have Phil Harding's book (he was an ingeneer in SAW and de facto a composer too) and he said that Rick was so EXHAUSTED with the promo of the first single that he couldn't even stand up to sing the last songs included in that first album. That he literally couldn't sing and Harding thought he was going to collapse. After much struggling the sung Slipping Away and No More Looking for Love, but he was ready to give up and drop the job! 

On 6/5/2018 at 3:45 PM, karbatal said:

But if a man releases a classic formula it is well recieved as long as it is a good song. 

Women have to reinvent the wheel with every release and yet men... Look at Bruce Springsteen, older than Madonna, classic tunes and everybody clapping and cheering.

A good song is a good song - man or woman.  

No, women don't have to reinvent the wheel, they are free to stick at what they're good at (or not good at). If Springsteen brings out a rap album next year with Migos and everyone loves it then maybe you'd have a point, but he won't because he knows his audience.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

A good song is a good song - man or woman.  

No, women don't have to reinvent the wheel, they are free to stick at what they're good at (or not good at). If Springsteen brings out a rap album next year with Migos and everyone loves it then maybe you'd have a point, but he won't because he knows his audience.

I'm not sure, Kim. The same good formula, good song... it is labelled as "tired" even by the fanbase.