MadonnaNation.com Forums
material_boy

Is Girlie Show her best ever?

Was drinking (way too much) wine and watching a random YouTube video where someone visited Australia said "G'day" and so obviously I recalled ICONIC moment.

Your faves could never.

Sorry to step on this flop thread, but I blame the wine. Can we appreciate the Girlie Show -- the first step in the Queen's long comeback from "Erotica"/"Sex" backlash -- and her greatest tour ever, musically speaking? The band. The voice. The PERCUSSION. The Omar. (I swear to god that for YEARS, I used to say "Give me some kick, baby" whenever I wanted someone to take something to the next level -- as if that meant ANYTHING to anyone who's not a Madonna fan. God, I'm just such a queen sometimes 🤣)

God, if any tour demanded a live album, it was this one.

The GS has to be my most watched tour.  The set list, the musical arrangements, the vocals, the costumes.  It's just really a fun show!  I also loved the Omar "gimme some kick, baby"....and "now you've got hear my piano, so you know my shit ain't fake"!  M (and Nikki & Donna) were in tip-top shape during this tour.  M's thighs....:bow:.   And she was so fucking cute during Everybody....w/the short hair, cut-off jeans, jersey and boots.  GS really showed some of her best live vocals and dancing.  Only wish I could have seen it live.

I saw GS at msg. It’s not one of my favorite tours though.

1 hour ago, todsmod said:

The GS has to be my most watched tour.  The set list, the musical arrangements, the vocals, the costumes.  It's just really a fun show!  I also loved the Omar "gimme some kick, baby"....and "now you've got hear my piano, so you know my shit ain't fake"!  M (and Nikki & Donna) were in tip-top shape during this tour.  M's thighs....:bow:.   And she was so fucking cute during Everybody....w/the short hair, cut-off jeans, jersey and boots.  GS really showed some of her best live vocals and dancing.  Only wish I could have seen it live.

Girlie Show is the most radically rebellious tour of hers arguably. The set list was lean and songs which didn't seem translatable live were highlights (Why's It So Hard, In This Life). Bye Bye Baby with her jazz band throwing down makes me resent her not doing what she initially planned which was to use them to make original music. Bedtime Stories could have had entirely live instrumentation.

To answer the question: YES.

No, but musically speaking, it's her most accomplished show.

YES. HANDS DOWN BEST TOUR. EVER.

One of her most creative and adventurous live shows. Not on the top of my list but those live versions and live band elevate her work to high heavens.

5 hours ago, Nick said:

I saw GS at msg. It’s not one of my favorite tours though.

Got pics?

not really a fan of the disco wig but other than that it's a pure art/amazing music/great theatre. 

LOVE the short hair

the la Isla, bob fosse and eerie clown segments and Dietrich references are amazing

well her best ever is BA so no..

Musically yes for sure but it's her 3rd best tour for me behind Blond Ambition & Confessions.

Creative, but not her best

No, but it's close.

Yes, yes, yes!

saw it in Sydney when I was 15 :inlove:

A great show but the track listing seems too short.

On 6/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, LHakaLH said:

Got pics?

No I had terrible seats toward the back of the stage.😫

I got the tickets because my friend at the last moment couldn’t attend & sold them to me. 

one of my favorite tours ever, and I was so impressed with the whole live band and M's amazing strong vocals, so musically it is her strongest tour for me

12 hours ago, cjc said:

A great show but the track listing seems too short.

I like lean and muscular. 

Nope, but gimme back that live band any time. 

Left me wanting more. I like it but don’t think it’s one of her best, despite supporting one of her best albums ever

It was magical to me as a young kid and was very special as she came to my country for the first time and Australia went absolutely Madonna mad! The new arrangements were great, the choreography was insane and it was so artistic. It was always going to be hard to follow up Blond Ambition and in my opinion she didnt try to follow it up per say or even consciously try to top it. She could have just given us a continuation of the previous tour like she later would and which most artists do but instead she presented something completely fresh and new and a show that completely stands on its own. It was a very necesarry evolution at the time and i think she knew that it was needed to reinvent herself for the sake of her career and she achieved her goal 100% but in my opinion its hard to deny that she has since topped TGS in many respects. The new template was set in the 90's with BA and TGT but then she changed the template AGAIN with Drowned World then things changed again with ReInvention. Someone on here once said that ReInvention can be viewed in hindsight as the prototype for her future tours. They would all follow a similar theme, big screens, 4 sections with 4 video interludes and big stages that tested the realms of technology and design. Its this template that makes The Girlie Show stands out even more in her touring career.

You can tune out here if you want but ill never forget seeing this for the first time. I was 11 and my parents were leaving me home alone for the first time so with my pocket money i went up to the video shop. There was no internet at the time and i had no idea that TGS was out on new release. I stumbled upon it by chance in the new release section as the cover was very ambiguous. You cant really tell that its Madonna so i was amazed that i spotted it. To cut a long story short, i was in awe for almost two hours. Its a magical experience as a fan watching a new Madonna show for the first time, especially back then when we had no internet and had to rely on the multitude of articles and magazine's devoted to the new tours as they worked their way around the world and the brief snippets of footage from the many news reports and television interviews.

I think so. I feel like back then she wanted to prove she could be part of the band at her stature. she succeeded; the fact t that people were trying to cancel her after sex/erotica/body of evidence, and this show was sold out, this show is fucking awesome.

I hope she goes full band again in her next tour because, I feel like, she underestimates herself as a musician live. for example, like a virgin rebel heart. she didn't need a single prop and it was a highlight. I LIVE for shit like that. she is such a presence. I understand she is human and she probably feels like she needs big show, but she really doesn't. 

love her. im stanning!

For me the Girlie Show IS the best tour ever. It has always been and always will be. I adore it from the beginning to the end..

No, Confessions Tour is your answer :queenbitch:

Madonna+-+Confessions+Tour+in+Montreal+C

4 hours ago, DitaDolla said:

No, Confessions Tour is your answer :queenbitch:

Madonna+-+Confessions+Tour+in+Montreal+C

Yaaaaaaass

On 6/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, functions_X said:

one of my favorite tours ever, and I was so impressed with the whole live band and M's amazing strong vocals, so musically it is her strongest tour for me

My thoughts exactly. I don’t care much for it visually, but musically it’s my favorite. I’m being very superficial and say I’d like it much better with a different hairstyle. The look was to butch for my taste, though it worked for some of the performances and the overall artistic direction of the show. Still, from a visual point of view it’s not as strong as BA or Confessions or MDNA.