MadonnaNation.com Forums
Rock

Why does M ignore COADF's songs (minus Hung Up) on setlists?

I don't get it why Madonna ignores Sorry, Get Together, Jump and all the other COADF songs (minus Hung Up) when it comes to setlists. Are them all songs about Guy Ritchie so she avoid to perform them? Did she sign some Kabballah contract back then that forbid her to sing them in more than one tour?

:britwtf:

Seriously, there's so much potential with all these songs that even if the grand public is not aware of them, they are catchy enough to grab the crowd's attention. The singles, for example: Sorry can fit any concert's section, whatever its theme is; Get Together is Holiday V.2, basically; and Jump have a hidden feminist message that links well to the world's state (my sisters and me, my sisters and me). Yet, when it comes to COADF, she only sings Hung Up (and even it was ignored in S&ST 2009 and Rebel Heart Tour). Ok, it was a huge hit if compared to the ones in question, but it also makes COADF the only studio album that have the same song representing it on tours , over and over again. Even less popular works of her had more luck after their original tours:

I'm Breathless (BAT) = I'm Going Bananas (TGST) ) + Hanky Panky (RIT) + Vogue (TGST/RIT/S&ST/MDNAT/RHT)
Bedtime Stories (No tour) = Secret (DWT) + Human Nature (DWT/S&ST/MDNAT) + Bedtime Story (RIT) + Take A Bow (RHT)
American Life (RIT) = Die Another Day (S&ST) + Nobody Knows Me (MDNA)
Hard Candy (S&ST) = Give It 2 Me (MDNA) + Candy Shop (MDNA/RHT)
MDNA (Ignored on RHT, but that was the follow up tour, so its to soon to judge)

We have to go to an obscure show like Tears Of A Clown to find other COADF's song being sang live - Like It Or Not - and that was just for 1 (one!) date lol.

Is Madonna not fond of COADF anymore? Why does this happen with a recording that was so successful upon its release? Did she give these songs all the energy/talent/love that she could back in 2006 and so now there's nothing/zero/nada left?

:madgemanson:

Most songs on COADF (along with ROL) have a very serious/moody electronic vibe that would be hard to blend in with other songs. That's why she tends to recycle songs that are either party bops or empowerment anthems. Her 80s catalogue is the most universal and suitable for a concert show. 

God only knows what goes through Madonna's head when she comes up with some of her setlists. So many CLASSIC songs of hers have been CRIMINALLY underrated or all out ignored time and time again. 

Sorry would've fit perfectly in the first segment of the MDNA tour. Jump would've been great in the flapper section of RHT. Get Together could be placed just about anywhere on any tour. 

So, maybe she does hate COADF now. I mean, look at how she's butchered Hung Up time and time again. 

Because yet another remix of Candy Shop and doing Like a Prayer, La Isla Bonita and Holiday for the millionth time takes precedence over anything from her most successful, popular and loved album post-Music.

My gut tells me she doesn’t hate it or anything. Madonna would’ve probably included tracks from the album on recent tours if she thought they were a good fit. 

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

Because yet another remix of Candy Shop and doing Like a Prayer, La Isla Bonita and Holiday for the millionth time takes precedence over anything from her most successful, popular and loved album post-Music.

Never speak ill of the perennial inclusion of Candy Shop.

Because COADF was just the flavor of a moment...

:queenbitch:

5 hours ago, Vinny said:

doing Like a Prayer, La Isla Bonita and Holiday for the millionth time takes precedence over anything from her most successful, popular and loved album post-Music.

They should though.

9 hours ago, loowee said:

They should though.

Exactly! We already know whatever is current is going to get the most attention. Outside of that, she has to think of the general public somewhat (at least for major arena/stadium tours). This is precisely why I LIKE that she sings A LOT of new material in her shows because who knows if we'll ever get to hear it otherwise? Those that went to CT got to see COADF performed in all it's glory. I'm pretty confident the casual fan at her shows would much rather hear LAP, EY, Holiday for the hundredth time (mind you for a lot of those people it's their first time) than Future Lovers or Let It Will Be (as much as I personally love those songs). At this point, I feel like her 90's hits need more attention than any 00's album tracks (except for the mandatory Candy Shop of course...lol). Highly doubt she hates COADF or any of her albums for that matter but gotta be realistic when you're selecting songs for a massive world tour. With that said, I could definitely see her pulling Sorry out or even Get Together as it's pretty universal....even if a lot of people would think it's a new song....lol. 

The neglect of so many of her brilliant album tracks is another reason why I'm kinda ready for a smaller, intimate tour....and I don't mean every single tour from here on out needs to be that way but one where she pulls out rare fan favorites would be amazing at this point in her career. Why not?? Intimate and small doesn't have to mean Madonna on a stool with a guitar either....as we saw from her Met performance. The possibilities are endless!!

17 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Exactly! We already know whatever is current is going to get the most attention. Outside of that, she has to think of the general public somewhat (at least for major arena/stadium tours). This is precisely why I LIKE that she sings A LOT of new material in her shows because who knows if we'll ever get to hear it otherwise? Those that went to CT got to see COADF performed in all it's glory. I'm pretty confident the casual fan at her shows would much rather hear LAP, EY, Holiday for the hundredth time (mind you for a lot of those people it's their first time) than Future Lovers or Let It Will Be (as much as I personally love those songs). At this point, I feel like her 90's hits need more attention than any 00's album tracks (except for the mandatory Candy Shop of course...lol). Highly doubt she hates COADF or any of her albums for that matter but gotta be realistic when you're selecting songs for a massive world tour. With that said, I could definitely see her pulling Sorry out or even Get Together as it's pretty universal....even if a lot of people would think it's a new song....lol. 

The neglect of so many of her brilliant album tracks is another reason why I'm kinda ready for a smaller, intimate tour....and I don't mean every single tour from here on out needs to be that way but one where she pulls out rare fan favorites would be amazing at this point in her career. Why not?? Intimate and small doesn't have to mean Madonna on a stool with a guitar either....as we saw from her Met performance. The possibilities are endless!!

I agree with all of this.

Also, even though "Hung Up" was performed on S&S, and MDNA, it might as well have been ignored because there hasn't been a GREAT version of it since CT - we've had a butchered version on S&S (I mean, WTH was that?) and it was meh on MDNA (a step up from S&S though).  Unrecognizable and not what most people wanted to hear.

10 hours ago, loowee said:

They should though.

42 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I (mostly) do not agree with this.

I understand why she keeps doing these "safe" songs over and over again, but honestly (and this ties in with my greatest criticism of the Rebel Heart Tour), eventually, it becomes repetitious and monotonous. Up until even Sticky & Sweet, her setlists always had a sense of surprise, of us knowing we were gonna get something new. She never really had to play any one song. Look at how Like a Virgin wasn't on a setlist for 13 years, Material Girl and Like a Prayer for 14, Open Your Heart for 22. True, she's always thrown in a coupla songs in that she knew were crowd-pleasers, mostly La Isla Bonita, Into the Groove, Holiday and Music, but even when they were sparsed, even if she did LIB two tours in a row, she didn't do ITG and she even let Holiday rest a couple of times.

She'd find a balance where she would always play her new material from each respective tour's supporting album, throw in a couple of sure crowd-pleasers and then surprise us by revisiting old hits she hadn't done in decades and that most fans had all but given up hope to see her perform again (Borderline and Lucky Star come to mind and I'm still transported somewhere else every time I re-watch the CT and see Drowned World and Paradise beautifully played back to back). But for the past two tours it has become predictable. There's this feeling of "she just did that". She does a bunch of her new material, which is cool and I like, but then she goes back to the same songs from her catalogue time and time again. Here comes Like a Prayer, here comes Like a Virgin, here comes La Isla Bonita in yet another latino section, here comes Candy Shop for reasons I'm still unclear on, let's close the show off with Holiday. Again. Again.

There's barely any moments of surprise. Last tour, I only really had three with Deeper and Deeper, True Blue and Material Girl. I'd include Who's That Girl too, but she got bored of that real soon and the only experience people who weren't there have with that one is fan uploads on YouTube.

I'm not asking that she completely ignores the songs that have been working for her and the audience (casual and hardcore) for the past thirty years, that'd be stupid and frankly, an awful move that wouldn't make sense even in a pure business way. I'm also not asking her to revisit her catalogue by only doing non-single album tracks from her past or obscure B-sides from now on. That's not what I was saying with my previous post. I'm just looking for that balance again.

Do Music, do Into the Groove, but also do the big hits that she hasn't done for a long time. Where's Frozen? Don't Tell Me, Sorry, Ray of Light, Cherish, Live to Tell, Secret?

Also, the United States is not the only market she has or should cater to. Hung Up aside, the COADF singles weren't big there... but they were - to different levels - everywhere else in the world. All of them of were number #1's in different territories, including some in which she always plays. The world is not the United States.

And let's stop pretending that only the hardcore fans want to see these "deeper cuts" (which really translates to: successful single she hasn't done in a long time, so I'm not even clear on why this is a thing) when True Blue, Take a Bow and Who's That Girl got the loudest cheers when they were played last tour.

She should do Hung Up with full on ABBA sample on her next tour.

5 hours ago, UnapologeticRebel said:

I agree with all of this.

Also, even though "Hung Up" was performed on S&S, and MDNA, it might as well have been ignored because there hasn't been a GREAT version of it since CT - we've had a butchered version on S&S (I mean, WTH was that?) and it was meh on MDNA (a step up from S&S though).  Unrecognizable and not what most people wanted to hear.

I'm so ready for a bangin Hung Up performance! As much as I love the MDNA Tour and HU, I have to say that performance did fall a bit flat for me as well. What she was doing on stage was cool but the musical arrangement of the song just kinda plodded along.....and HU is most definitely NOT a "plod along" type of song in it's original form. I know it's a "washed up" kind of thing to do and Madonna would most likely never do it but a one off night in an "intimate" venue where she performed the COADF album in it's entirety from beginning to end would be amazing. 

5 hours ago, Vinny said:

She'd find a balance where she would always play her new material from each respective tour's supporting album, throw in a couple of sure crowd-pleasers and then surprise us by revisiting old hits she hadn't done in decades and that most fans had all but given up hope to see her perform again (Borderline and Lucky Star come to mind and I'm still transported somewhere else every time I re-watch the CT and see Drowned World and Paradise beautifully played back to back). But for the past two tours it has become predictable.

And she did exactly that with RHT and performed True Blue, Who's That Girl, Take A Bow, Deeper & Deeper, Burning Up, Dress You Up, Material Girl, songs that she hadn't performed for over a decade, yet somehow it's "predictable"?  

1 hour ago, loowee said:

And she did exactly that with RHT and performed True Blue, Who's That Girl, Take A Bow, Deeper & Deeper, Burning Up, Dress You Up, Material Girl, songs that she hadn't performed for over a decade, yet somehow it's "predictable"?  

Who's That Girl was left out of over half of the tour, I only count it more over the two times she did Everybody and Crazy for You, the three she did Secret and the one she did Drowned World.

Take a Bow was a surprise song in about five - seven of the 82 tour dates, added when she got bored.

Dress You Up was just sort of sandwiched in there in an uninspired Latino medley with Lucky Star and Into the Groove. Also, she did a better version of it in S&S 2.0.

Burning Up was fun and I liked it, but it was basically a repeat of what she did on RIT.

I've said True Blue, Deeper and Deeper and Material Girl truly were surprising.

Those aside, it was business as usual.

I don't wanna hijack this thread to talk about the RHT tour more than I already have, but, yes. Predictable. And even worse, disappointing.

As I stated in my previous post, I'm not saying she should forget about all the safe and expected classics in favor of doing nothing but fans-only tracks like Spotlight, Angel, Can't Stop, Ain't No Big Deal or whatever. I want and hope for better balance and diversity on the setlist. I don't know how to make it clearer than that and I fail to see how that's bad or outrageous idea.

There was way too much Rebel Heart on the RHT setlist. I think we can all agree on that.

3 minutes ago, yououghttavogue said:

There was way too much Rebel Heart on the RHT setlist. I think we can all agree on that.

?

It was the Rebel Heart Tour. It should have come as no surprise to anyone that RH would comprise a significant portion of the setlist. And there was plenty from RH which was not performed (at all or sporadically — e.g., Ghosttown and Joan of Arc). 

I was going to post more about setlist choices, but I think it is challenging to discuss. Madonna chooses not just on whim (although clearly that happens sometimes) but in terms of theme and mood. I know we talk a lot about telling a story and advancing the narrative, and about a journey from darkness to light ... but there’s also practical considerations, like stage and costume restrictions, and needing to have a “breather” between heavily choreographed numbers. So there are a lot of factors.

Also, remember that Madonna was visiting some areas of the world with RHT for the first time, or returning after a too-long absence in Australia’s case, particularly. That also should have (and likely did) impact the choices. 

And yes, I, too, think the CT performance of “Hung Up” is epic and definitive and has not been topped yet ... it will be difficult to do. So it might be in her best interest to give it a rest for a little while so that it will be all the more welcome when it returns.

I didn’t care much for the S&ST version (if I had to vote one song off the list, that would be it b/c the arrangement wasn’t that strong) ... the MDNAT version definitely wasn’t meant to be a crowd-pleaser, although I think it made sense in context. I came around to it eventually — that version does “plod” for sure (good description @Kurt420) but the lyrical theme is tormenting and torturous — and I’m surprised to find myself moved by the “ad lib” in the MDNAT version of “you’ll be sorry / please forgive me” ... the performance really draws out the spiritual struggle going on (the whole section deals with the end of a relationship paralleled with a metaphorical loss of faith, and then intertwines the two and each exacerbates the other). It’s almost more about not being able to get God on the phone than Guy Ritchie — and the “hell” she is experiencing because of that. I don’t know ... maybe I’m overanalyzing. It certainly isn’t as satisfying as the CT version, but I can appreciate it. All while looking forward to an encore of the full-on ABBA-tastic version.

And yes, any COADF tracks are welcome to be re-visited in my view. I love the whole album. Maybe one day she’ll still make that interlude film for “How High?”

2 hours ago, Vinny said:

Who's That Girl was left out of over half of the tour, I only count it more over the two times she did Everybody and Crazy for You, the three she did Secret and the one she did Drowned World.

Take a Bow was a surprise song in about five - seven of the 82 tour dates, added when she got bored.

Dress You Up was just sort of sandwiched in there in an uninspired Latino medley with Lucky Star and Into the Groove. Also, she did a better version of it in S&S 2.0.

Burning Up was fun and I liked it, but it was basically a repeat of what she did on RIT.

I've said True Blue, Deeper and Deeper and Material Girl truly were surprising.

Those aside, it was business as usual.

I don't wanna hijack this thread to talk about the RHT tour more than I already have, but, yes. Predictable. And even worse, disappointing.

As I stated in my previous post, I'm not saying she should forget about all the safe and expected classics in favor of doing nothing but fans-only tracks like Spotlight, Angel, Can't Stop, Ain't No Big Deal or whatever. I want and hope for better balance and diversity on the setlist. I don't know how to make it clearer than that and I fail to see how that's bad or outrageous idea.

At first you said the past few tours have been predictable in terms of setlist and that she should revisit songs that she hasn't done in years, but she did exactly that with at least 6 songs on RHT (you can count the surprise section as one song I guess?), but now somehow it also has to fit your own criteria (BU being too similar to a performance from 15 years ago, DYU was uninspiring), so I'm not exactly sure what the argument is?  I mean, she could perform all the "forgotten" gems like Jump, Get Together, Sorry etc. on the next tour and you might say "they're too similar to CT" or "the remixes are too much" or "what about the ROL album???"... The problem is that she has such a vast body of work so her setlists won't please everyone no matter what she does. 

Now where's the Immaculate Tour that the world has been waiting for? 

it´s impossible to include all her timeless songs with her catalogue.I´m sure she will include a song from COADF of she finds a godd arrangement for it...probably Push!

anyways, I didn´t like HU without the sample

1 hour ago, loowee said:

At first you said the past few tours have been predictable in terms of setlist and that she should revisit songs that she hasn't done in years, but she did exactly that with at least 6 songs on RHT (you can count the surprise section as one song I guess?), but now somehow it also has to fit your own criteria (BU being too similar to a performance from 15 years ago, DYU was uninspiring), so I'm not exactly sure what the argument is?  I mean, she could perform all the "forgotten" gems like Jump, Get Together, Sorry etc. on the next tour and you might say "they're too similar to CT" or "the remixes are too much" or "what about the ROL album???"... The problem is that she has such a vast body of work so her setlists won't please everyone no matter what she does.

Okay, final attempt to explain what I'm saying:

The setlist has become predictable and repetitious to me with a bunch of songs being overplayed and very little surprises.

I'm not saying anything has to fit my own personal criteria, I'm just saying Burning Up wasn't so much of a surprise to me because the performances were very similar, but I still enjoyed it and I liked that she included it on the setlist and I recognize it was another one she hadn't done in a long time, so kudos for that.

All I'm saying is that songs like Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer, La Isla Bonita, Music and Holiday are overplayed often being included in the same setlist and often one tour after the other. I wish she'd cut a couple of these and have more surprises so everything didn't feel so damn repetitious. Madonna is still not a touring artist, in 30 years she's only gone on the road ten times and having one song on the setlist of 4 of her last five tours or in 8/9 altogether is what's making me feel a little been there/seen there.

However, I'll admit: my Dress You Up comment was rooted on how much of a non-event it felt in a performance I deemed super uninspired and boring in a section that was super uninspired and boring. This ties in to my feelings of the Rebel Heart Tour, a tour that I like less the more I think about it and consider it to be the Recycling tour.

I'll go more into that after the jump because this thread is not about that:

Spoiler

- The S.E.X. interlude was the Erotica video with samples from Justify My Love although she had just made an entire interlude out of JML for the MDNA Tour
- The Illuminati video included many shots taken from the Nobody Knows Me backdrop, again from the previous tour
- The latino section bored me to tears. Aside from Rebel Heart, that entire segment felt uninspired and lazy to me. Feel free to disagree, but I saw that done better in S&S, even though it included one of my least favorite M songs and a dancer interlude that I'm still... why, but at least it FIT and looked like it had some thought and reasoning behind besides "Frida Kahlo" and "eh, fuck it, let's do LIB again and make it a latino section out of it". Also, I've seen La Isla Bonita done better in WTG, TGS and CT
- This was the third time Holiday closed the setlist and the second she had a flag theme for it (I'll once again use the word recycle) and it was just an encore that I don't think really fit the narrative, but again: me
- She'd just done Like a Virgin. It was a fun performance and she seemed to be enjoying herself doing that one for the first time since BAT, and it's a completely difference performance from MDNAT so it doesn't bother me. But doesn't change the fact she'd just done Like a Virgin
- I feel like she didn't even bother with the interludes, no remixes. Just a sample of Justify My Love in S.E.X. and press play on the computer and go
- I actually like the performance of Candy Shop, but still... why*
- *Which actually ties in to how even some of the stuff that I liked: Burning Up, Candy Shop, Like a Virgin, the Illuminati dancer performance, the two gays simulating sex on stage - were still things that felt familiar to what I had seen before, some of them not even long ago

The Rebel Heart Tour overall just felt lazy and grossly uninspired. You know, to me.

Anyway, every setlist up until S&S gave me the balance that I'm talking about and defending. Go back to them and maybe it'll help to understand what I mean.

This is not about me wanting the songs I love the most being played in every tour.

In fact, these are my dream setlists for MDNAT and RHT, notice how they include some of the songs I've called overplayed, as well as how much I borrowed from the actual shows. Might also help to understand what I'm trying to express:

Spoiler

MDNA TOUR

Transgression

1. Virgin Mary (KALAKAN TRIO INTRODUCTION)
2. Girl Gone Wild
3. Revolver
4. Gang Bang
5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore (edited like in RHT)
6. Hung Up
7. I Don't Give A

Electricity

8. Best Friend / Heartbeat (Remix) (INTERLUDE)
9. I'm Addicted
10. Impressive Instant / Bedtime Story
11. Ray of Light
12. Lucky Star / Physical Attraction
13. Falling Free

Prophecy

14. Justify My Love (Remix) (INTERLUDE)
15. Express Yourself (no Born This Way/She's Not Me)
16. Give Me All Your Luvin' (Just Blaze Remix)
17. Burning Up
18. Open Your Heart / Sagarra Jo
19. Masterpiece

Celebration

20. Nobody Knows Me (Remix) ( INTERLUDE)
21. Vogue
22. I'm a Sinner / Cyber-Raga
23. Holiday
24. Celebration / Everybody

REBEL HEART TOUR

Rebellious

1. Revolution (VIDEO INTRODUCTION)
2. Iconic
3. Illuminati
4. Material Girl
5. Holy Water / Vogue
6. Devil Pray

Unapologetic

7. Human Nature / I Don't Give A (Remix) (INTERLUDE)
8. Girl Gone Wild
9. Bitch I'm Madonna
10. Beautiful Stranger
11. Deeper and Deeper
12. Unapologetic Bitch

Reflective

13. Bad Girl (Remix) (INTERLUDE)
14. Ghosttown / Messiah
15. True Blue
16. Cherish
17. Get Together
18. Rebel Heart

Enlightened

19. Act of Contrition (Remix) (INTERLUDE)
20. Who's that Girl
21. Like a Prayer
22. Don't Tell Me
23. Like a Virgin
24. Living for Love

Trust me, if it was me asking for only the songs I love more than I love life, Live to Tell, Ray of Light, Vogue and Hung Up would have to be played in every tour, regardless of theme or narrative. That's not what I want.

2 hours ago, Vinny said:

Okay, final attempt to explain what I'm saying:

The setlist has become predictable and repetitious to me with a bunch of songs being overplayed and very little surprises.

I'm not saying anything has to fit my own personal criteria, I'm just saying Burning Up wasn't so much of a surprise to me because the performances were very similar, but I still enjoyed it and I liked that she included it on the setlist and I recognize it was another one she hadn't done in a long time, so kudos for that.

All I'm saying is that songs like Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer, La Isla Bonita, Music and Holiday are overplayed often being included in the same setlist and often one tour after the other. I wish she'd cut a couple of these and have more surprises so everything didn't feel so damn repetitious. Madonna is still not a touring artist, in 30 years she's only gone on the road ten times and having one song on the setlist of 4 of her last five tours or in 8/9 altogether is what's making me feel a little been there/seen there.

However, I'll admit: my Dress You Up comment was rooted on how much of a non-event it felt in a performance I deemed super uninspired and boring in a section that was super uninspired and boring. This ties in to my feelings of the Rebel Heart Tour, a tour that I like less the more I think about it and consider it to be the Recycling tour.

I'll go more into that after the jump because this thread is not about that:

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, every setlist up until S&S gave me the balance that I'm talking about and defending. Go back to them and maybe it'll help to understand what I mean.

This is not about me wanting the songs I love the most being played in every tour.

In fact, these are my dream setlists for MDNAT and RHT, notice how they include some of the songs I've called overplayed, as well as how much I borrowed from the actual shows. Might also help to understand what I'm trying to express:

Reveal hidden contents

Trust me, if it was me asking for only the songs I love more than I love life, Live to Tell, Ray of Light, Vogue and Hung Up would have to be played in every tour, regardless of theme or narrative. That's not what I want.

Of course I see nothing wrong with wanting diversity of her set lists but one thing that you have to consider is that LAV, LAP, Vogue, EY, Music, Holiday and prob a few others are songs that could really be done on every tour. Those are her biggest hits, EVERYONE knows them and half the audience is there especially for those songs. Only diehard fans like us would find something "negative" about those songs on every tour. As you said, LAV MDNA and LAV RH are two COMPLETELY different performances so I don't see the problem. Same with LAP from S&S to MDNA.....two completely different performances. That's another thing to take into consideration btw....the fact that she changes performances of her songs so drastically so even if she does perform the same songs 2-3 tours in a row, it's not going to be a repeat. 

The bottom line is that she has thrown songs she hasn't performed in many years into the set list of her two most recent tours. As others mentioned, OYH, DAD, MG, EY, TB.....all songs that had been decades since she performed. You keep going back to S&S and before when according to you, she used to switch up her set lists more. One thing you need to remember though.....she didn't tour for eight years.....and she didn't touch MOST of her 80's classics for ELEVEN years (or more) so just about ANYTHING she performed from '04-'08 was going to feel fresh. 

Personally, I like your RH tracklist but for a casual fan, GGW and GT in favor of LIB or a "80's medley" of DYU/ITG/LS etc?? Nope....especially considering RH was taking her to places she had either never been or hadn't been in years. I find it interesting you call RH a recycled tour when, if you really break it all down, she performed sooooo many songs on that tour.....I know they didn't all end up on the DVD but nonetheless, as a fan, that was one of her most interesting tours to follow because you never knew what she was going to pull out on any given night. I was lucky enough to see WTG and then the next show I went to, she performed Ghosttown and Secret. I hope mixing it up from night to night is something she continues to explore on future tours. I'm well aware this is going to sound bitchy so I'm ready for the callouts but.....your "critiques" sound like a child that's spoiled (as "children of Madonna" we all are so it's ok)......think about it, you're complaining about two "Spanish themed" LIB performances within 7-8 years of each other and two guitar based BU performances ELEVEN years apart from each other, two consecutive LAV performances that couldn't be further apart from each other in presentation....think about that for a moment....now think about how MANY other acts tour every summer and do the songs the exact. same. way. every. time. Just comes across as a little petty, nitpicky and quite frankly ungrateful.....anytime I see "lazy and uninspired" tacked onto the description of any of her tours it just gets me riled up because NONE of them fit that description.....the woman works her ass off and has a gazillion songs. She's never going to please EVERYONE.

Quick comment - "Like A Prayer" wasn't actually part of the set list for RHT.  She played it often as the "extra" track, but definitely not at every show (e.g. I saw four shows and she played it once...thank God I saw it then, because anyone who saw her in Brisbane missed out on seeing it, since she skipped it at both shows).  I wouldn't complain if she played it on every tour and to be completely honest, I'm a bit disappointed when it's not on the set list (but that doesn't stop me from being dazzled by the brilliance that is a Madonna show, without fail).

16 minutes ago, Carta said:

Quick comment - "Like A Prayer" wasn't actually part of the set list for RHT.  She played it often as the "extra" track, but definitely not at every show (e.g. I saw four shows and she played it once...thank God I saw it then, because anyone who saw her in Brisbane missed out on seeing it, since she skipped it at both shows).  I wouldn't complain if she played it on every tour and to be completely honest, I'm a bit disappointed when it's not on the set list (but that doesn't stop me from being dazzled by the brilliance that is a Madonna show, without fail).

Cud live without Like A Prayer live. Rather get Express Yourself tbh.

I found the RHT setlist a breath of fresh air tbh. Most of the songs hadn't been sung in a while so it was nice and none of them were butchered beyond redemption either. I'll admit DYU wasn't the most exciting number but it worked well live well.

The problem is Madonna just has too many songs and too many types of fans to please everyone. Someone's going to be left disappointed each show. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Personally, I like your RH tracklist but for a casual fan, GGW and GT in favor of LIB or a "80's medley" of DYU/ITG/LS etc?? Nope....especially considering RH was taking her to places she had either never been or hadn't been in years.

Maybe. But please also remember GGW and GT are more recent songs that were successful outside the United States. Both were top 10 in many European countries, GGW peaked at #17 in Japan (not shabby at all for Japan) and GT peaked at #13 in Australia and #4 in Canada, they are not really obscure to the casual listener outside the US.

6 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I'm well aware this is going to sound bitchy so I'm ready for the callouts but.....your "critiques" sound like a child that's spoiled (as "children of Madonna" we all are so it's ok)......think about it, you're complaining about two "Spanish themed" LIB performances within 7-8 years of each other and two guitar based BU performances ELEVEN years apart from each other, two consecutive LAV performances that couldn't be further apart from each other in presentation....think about that for a moment....now think about how MANY other acts tour every summer and do the songs the exact. same. way. every. time. Just comes across as a little petty, nitpicky and quite frankly ungrateful.....anytime I see "lazy and uninspired" tacked onto the description of any of her tours it just gets me riled up because NONE of them fit that description.....the woman works her ass off and has a gazillion songs. She's never going to please EVERYONE.

The part I bolded was never in question.

As for everything else... maybe you got a point. Maybe the fact I'm so familiar with her tours and I listen/watch them a lot factors into that. Seven years ago was a performance I'd just watched the previous day.

Here's the thing, though: Madonna has stated multiple times she doesn't like to repeat herself and she has proven that time and time again over the last 36 years. If I'm always waiting for something completely new and fresh it's because she usually delivers it. That's what I've come to expect of her because that's what she usually gives me.

But yeah, I don't mean at all to sound petty, nitpicky or ungrateful, and I apologize for giving off this impression. I get overly defensive of Madonna too, especially as someone in his 20's who's had to deal with a lot of... uninformed people.

Edited by Vinny

I was disappointed that she chose a lot of the same songs for the MDNA Tour that she did on S&S. At least we got PDP and OYH. Rebel Heart Tour was waaaaay better with that. WTG was a very magical moment. I hope she resurrects other classic songs in the future.

I'm curious to see what song (if any) from MDNA she will pick for her next tours

the only one I can see her do again is the guitar version of TUTR

On 6/2/2018 at 10:56 PM, erotica blu said:

Never speak ill of the perennial inclusion of Candy Shop.

Yes!

1331230941_crazy_lady_at_the_library.gif

9 hours ago, cocolattee said:

I'm curious to see what song (if any) from MDNA she will pick for her next tours

Give Me All Your Luvin' could make for a cool interlude, Girl Gone Wild and I Don't Give A would be the most obvious one for performance.

9 hours ago, cocolattee said:

the only one I can see her do again is the guitar version of TUTR

Please no.