Time traveling on YouTube

Lolo

This is so addictive! And being a Historian myself ( for real lol) I love all the amazing footage that can be found on YT. It’s like looking through a window into the past, watching everyday life. This is truly precious. 

8 hours ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

British Pathe is the best YT channel for this kind of stuff. Love their videos.

👍🏻 Thanks, I will check it out. I just started watching those kind of videos, know they exist... oh my...

im in love with those videos. in a way, seeing them in color and with sound, it makes it all feel more real and less of a fantasy (compared to how I view those times through movies and pictures).  the mannerisms of people walking on the streets and going through their day are just the same, really.

berlin in 1945 is very interesting. 

I once found videos of exhibitions with keith haring and others, it was unedited footage of just a guy filming it all, making it seem like you're there. It was fascinating. I'll repost it here if I find them again.

Here's a great one. I find myself watching it over and over for some reason lol. Around 5:28 is kind of creepy! They all look like a bunch of ghosts who look and act exactly the same!! :blink: lol

Love this one! The music etc.. soo 1982 NYC!! lol And M was prob. nearby in one of those crowds lol! and THISclose to owning the world!

12 minutes ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Another creepy one!!  The kinds of people, characters etc..you'd see in a nightmare. lol 

Haha, nightmarish indeed. Seems like zero persons had fun in this chilly, almost hostile atmosphere... And what about the foggy background? Smog? Smoke? Bad weather? It’s very strange...

😲 at the girl at 5:00 lol Like a little Madonna!! Totally how she prob. would've showed off, moved and danced at that age lol. 

How I wish I could travel back in time ! Would be amazing... :inlove:

There's a sci-fi writer I really like, her name is Connie Willis. Several of her works feature time travel by history students of Oxford. 
Doomsday book and To say nothing of the dog are incredibly good and a must read, for sure. I really recommend them. Both won the Hugo award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Book_(novel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Say_Nothing_of_the_Dog

On 4/27/2018 at 3:59 AM, Lolo said:

This is so addictive! And being a Historian myself ( for real lol) I love all the amazing footage that can be found on YT. It’s like looking through a window into the past, watching everyday life. This is truly precious. 

It's so crazy to think that everyone in this video is now dead and gone.  I know that's morbid, but I couldn't help thinking it.  Life is so short.

Fascinating video though.  

2 hours ago, Bill said:

It's so crazy to think that everyone in this video is now dead and gone.  I know that's morbid, but I couldn't help thinking it.  Life is so short.

Fascinating video though.  

I had the same thoughts and always considered it to be very morbid and destructive thinking but look at the comments on YouTube, they all say the same. So apparently it’s a very common thing to notice when confronted with the ‘real past’ in this very special relatable way, which still is new to us! 

• 4 months later...