MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jazzy Jan

Neil Finn replaces Lindsay Buckingham in Fleetwood Mac

Well, this is a big surprise.  I love Fleetwood Mac and also have always loved Neil Finn from his work in Split Enz and later Crowded House.  

image.png

Crowded House frontman Neil Finn has joined Fleetwood Mac, after core songwriter and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham was dramatically fired from the band.

Crowded House frontman Neil Finn has joined Fleetwood Mac, after core songwriter and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham was dramatically fired from the band.

Buckingham, whose guitar interplay with singer Stevie Nicks has defined the rock icons since he joined the band in 1975 and then re-joined them in 1997 after a decade-long solo departure, was "fired" from the band after a disagreement over an upcoming tour, Rolling Stone reports.

Finn and former Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell will be joining the band for the upcoming US tour, the band said in a statement.

Finn confirmed the news on Twitter and in a statement to Rolling Stone, calling the decision a "natural fit".

Two weeks ago, I received a wonderful invitation to be part of a truly great band. A few days later, I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac. It felt fresh and exciting... I can't wait to play," he said.

News of Buckingham's departure was met with criticism from Mac fans, some of who vowed to boycott the upcoming tour.

"Absolutely ridiculous. You guys just got rid of your visionary, the man whose work created the sound of this lineup," said one viral comment on the band's Facebook page.

"Good luck with the tour – as great as Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are, this is not a Fleetwood Mac I have any interest in," the commenter added.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood looked to downplay the backlash with a statement saying the band "has always been about... a unique blend of talents."

"We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realise that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style," he said.

Of course, this sort of drama is nothing new for the Hall of Fame band, who infamously navigated inter-band romances and break-ups throughout their heyday, fuelling biting hits such as Go Your Own Way and Silver Springs.

The band, with its reunited core lineup featuring Buckingham, Nicks, Fleetwood and Christine McVie, last toured Australia in late 2015, although Nicks and Fleetwood also made solo jaunts in more recent years.

image.png

Saw the news today. This is so weird, I can't imagine FM without Buckingham tbh. 

I also agree that this is a Fleetwood Mac im not interested in. Neil Finn is so bloody boring!

So strange at this stage in their careers. There was talk that this upcoming tour was to be their "farewell tour". I just can't imagine a Fleetwood Mac "farewell tour" that doesn't have the five "Fireflies" together. Looking at the FM boards, the fans are absolutely outraged.....naturally, everyone is quick to blame Stevie but nobody REALLY seems to know what went down. This band has been straight drama from day one....lol.....even pre-Stevie/Lindsey it was drama filled. 

I like both Neil and Mike within Split Enz, Crowded House and The Heartbreakers, so much talent....but they just aren't Fleetwood Mac! It's quite telling that they need not one, but two musicians to fill Lindsey's shoes....it was the same when they toured in '87 without him too. That pretty much says it all. Unlike '87 though, taking 10 yrs to "cool off" kinda isn't an option this time. 

Of course Mike Campbell and Neil Finn are fantastic musicians, but... it's not the same. I can't help but think Lindsey sabotaged the reunion as a retaliation for Stevie not wanting to take part last year on what would have become the final Fleetwood Mac album, that turned out to be Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie instead. 

But I'm pretty sure they will eventually kiss and make up in the future. They just can't live without the drama (and the money). 

You would think that a bunch of old people would be able to get along.

I am a major Fleetwood Mac fan but they have always had major issues with each other.  Lindsay Buckingham is a fantastic writer, musician but is always falling out with the other members.  Of course all of them always seem to be falling out with each other which is sad.  Many bands just put the in-fighting behind them and shine on stage and perform like professionals but all of their stuff seems extra personal with the whole having relationships etc.  Sad that he is not going to be there for the farewell tour. 

I love Neil Finn, Finn Brothers and Crowded House

So Stupid. When i saw FM a few years ago the chemistry was gone though, & Stevie just kept talking & talking. The audience was annoyed.

On 13/04/2018 at 6:20 PM, Hapertje said:

I love Neil Finn, Finn Brothers and Crowded House

Same here.  I don't want Neil in Fleetwood Mac as want the original members but he is a brilliant songwriter.  Don't dream it's over is one of the most beautiful songs ever.  I never tire of it. 

5 hours ago, acko said:

So Stupid. When i saw FM a few years ago the chemistry was gone though, & Stevie just kept talking & talking. The audience was annoyed.

What was she saying ?   I always hate it when artists keep talking and not singing. The only artist I excused for that was Dolly Parton because she was so genuinely funny and interesting.  The rest of the time,  I just want to hear them perform. 

I saw Stevie solo some years back and her voice was incredible.  

8 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

What was she saying ?   I always hate it when artists keep talking and not singing. The only artist I excused for that was Dolly Parton because she was so genuinely funny and interesting.  The rest of the time,  I just want to hear them perform. 

I saw Stevie solo some years back and her voice was incredible.  

something about how a certain song came about, I don't even remember, but she was all over the place,

'So like okay & then I went...and after that I met, who told me, so like yeah, but really....ramble ramble.'

Her voice was not in fine form, & she could barely move in those heels.

But who would wanna see FM without THIS.

I was really pissed at first about Buckingham's departure, but now I'm intrigued about how Neil Finn (who I fucking love) and Mike Campbell are going to fit in with the rest of the band. If they come my way, fuck it...I'll catch a show, as I've never seen the Mac live. I'll miss Lindsey, though.

Because last time they replaced Lindsay with two other guys worked wonderfully :IMG_1564:

Oh hell to the naw. I’m not here for this tomfoolery. 

I just can't believe this will end up being their farewell tour. They have to do a tour with Lindsey in a few years.....they can't go out that way. The demand for that tour would be massive now thanks to this. Apparently Lindsey didn't want to go on the road until the end of '19 and the rest of them weren't about that. 

This back in the day A- list group now just has a bunch of celebs trying to make a buck off their name. Hey, they still sing and go on tour but they won't be going with this former A lister any time soon. They should have known better to bring him. They wrote a big check to one of their employees who said her daughter was sexually assaulted by the former A lister during the tour. The former A lister claimed he didn't have any money to kick in and help pay. "Fleetwood Mac"/Lindsey Buckingham

I had my reservations but the new band sounds pretty damn good. They've dug out some gems for this tour from the pre-Nicks/Buckingham days. They've also included some Split Enz, Crowded House and Tom Petty songs. Love Stevie on this:

This first vid is probably their biggest pre-Nicks/Buckingham song. This was from the Bob Welch incarnation of the band:

The drama never stops with them....

Lindsey Buckingham suing Fleetwood Mac

By Chloe Melas

(CNN)Former Fleetwood Mac singer and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham is suing the band for making him go his own way.

In court documents obtained by CNN, Buckingham claims that he lost an estimated $12 million in upcoming tour proceeds after he was involuntarily expelled from Fleetwood Mac in January.He is suing Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of oral contract.
It's not entirely clear what led to Buckingham's departure from the group, though his suit outlines debate about touring schedules.

Fleetwood Mac was originally founded in 1967 by Peter Green and was named after two of its band members, Fleetwood and John McVie. Green left the band in 1969. Buckingham joined in 1974, the same year as Nicks, Fleetwood Mac's lead singer.
Buckingham wrote some of the band's most well-known songs, including "Go Your Own Way," which was the lead single off the band's highly successful 1977 album, "Rumours."
Fleetwood Mac has had a tumultuous history. The group took a hiatus in 1982 and when they agreed to go back on tour in 1987, Buckingham backed out at the last minute. In 1998, Christine McVie left the band and later rejoined in 2014.
    "Everything that we wore on our sleeve, the discord and nature of the band, was the people breaking up, the dysfunction," Buckingham told CNN at a MusiCares event, days before he found out the band would be touring without him. "Right below all of that dysfunction is a great, great deal of love."
    CNN has reached out to Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac's representatives for comment.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/entertainment/lindsey-buckingham-fleetwood-mac-lawsuit/index.html

Fleetwood Mac disputes Lindsey Buckingham lawsuit

LOS ANGELES — Oct 15, 2018, 6:43 AM ET

Fleetwood Mac disputes allegations in a lawsuit filed by Lindsey Buckingham for kicking him off the band's new tour.

In a statement, band spokesperson Kristen Foster says, "Fleetwood Mac looks forward to their day in court."

In the suit, the guitarist and songwriter is seeking his share of tour income because he says he still wants and is able to perform.

The suit names bandmates Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie and John McVie.

Buckingham claims he was told five days after the group appeared at Radio City Music Hall in January that the band would tour without him. He says he would have been paid at least $12 million for his share of the tour proceeds.

The tour began Oct. 3, with Mike Campbell and Neil Finn replacing Buckingham.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/fleetwood-mac-disputes-lindsey-buckingham-lawsuit-58501624