MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedehead

PORTISHEAD - "Dummy" remains one of the best albums of all time

The amount of wankerish college/uni peeps I had to suffer through listening to this album with in the 90s is just too much. I'll stick to Blue Lines THANKS

Dummy DESTROYS Blue Lines and don't you forget it Little Star!! 

Those were Sour Times.

That and RADIOHEAD THE BENDS  :evil:

I love The Bends but I prefer OK Computer

The OKNOTOK box set reissue from last year was lush. 

I was dragged to see them last Summer. Worst THREE HOURS of my life! :evil:

Worst concert of my life was probably Bastille :vomit:

1 hour ago, Kim said:

The amount of wankerish college/uni peeps I had to suffer through listening to this album with in the 90s is just too much. I'll stick to Blue Lines THANKS

Blue Lnes is a great album! 

Radiohead :rotfl:

Alanis was mostly just a US "phenomenon" was she not? Aside from that eye-raw-nick ish, she never really caught on.

3 hours ago, Suedehead said:

Dummy DESTROYS Blue Lines and don't you forget it Little Star!! 

Dummy is everything. As is their self-titled album. I hope they put out something new soon. And I prefer Protection and Mezzanine to Blue Lines (although "Unfinished Sympathy" is divine). 

1 minute ago, vocalism said:

Dummy is everything. As is their self-titled album. I hope they put out something new soon. And I prefer Protection and Mezzanine to Blue Lines (although "Unfinished Sympathy" is divine). 

This.

Beth Gibbons voice is haunting. It just pierces through the speakers. Stops you in your tracks. Dummy is one of the best albums of the 90s. 

15 hours ago, Kim said:

Haha, precisely. Not that I care for any of their music. But yeah, I remember it being the pretentious kids flavor of the moment for just too long... 

3 hours ago, Lolo said:

Haha, precisely. Not that I care for any of their music. But yeah, I remember it being the pretentious kids flavor of the moment for just too long... 

Right? They were guff. The only thing htey originated was singing in a stupid affected accent. Tricky, just about anything on the Mo'wax label, and yes indeed Massive Attack - the originators of so-called trip hop, were all far superior in that timeframe.

Only one of my favorite bands ever. Dummy is a wonderful album. It always resonated with me very strongly, and I only saw them live once, years later, in 2013 maybe. They are a true talent. It was an incredible show. They did one of Dummy's best songs, Wandering Star, which they did every show of that tour I think.

24 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Only one of my favorite bands ever. Dummy is a wonderful album. It always resonated with me very strongly, and I only saw them live once, years later, in 2013 maybe. They are a true talent. It was an incredible show. They did one of Dummy's best songs, Wandering Star, which they did every show of that tour I think.

What a ridiculous performance. The 90s Lorde/Sia :smile:

19 hours ago, Kim said:

Alanis was mostly just a US "phenomenon" was she not? Aside from that eye-raw-nick ish, she never really caught on.

The album was huge everywhere though..

Dummy is an awesome album. Pure 90s moment. Other Portishead albums are crap more or less.

13 minutes ago, acko said:

The album was huge everywhere though..

I probably just blocked it out. Never saw the appeal, even with the Madge connection. Her and that LISA LOEB :evil:

8 hours ago, Kim said:

What a ridiculous performance.

I can certainly see why one could think that. I find it riveting, because I do have taste. :queenbitch:

11 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

I can certainly see why one could think that. I find it riveting, because I do have taste. :queenbitch:

Yeah I found ish like that riveting too... when I was 13. Now I see it for the pretentious artifice that it is :sassy:

5 hours ago, Kim said:

Yeah I found ish like that riveting too... when I was 13. Now I see it for the pretentious artifice that it is :sassy:

And you nailed it... AGAIN :clap:

Duh! ❤️❤️❤️❤️👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😍😍😍😍

MYSTERONS
SOUR TIMES

STRANGERS
IT COULD BE SWEET
WANDERING STAR
(IT'S A FIRE)
NUMB

ROADS
PEDESTAL
BISCUIT
GLORY BOX

All for NOTHING

Did you REALLY WANT?! 

"Dummy" is one of my favorite albums too - but then, I love all the trip-hop albums I know. 

Yes, of course. Dummy is one of the finest musical works of all-time...if the night could sing, it takes the form of Dummy