Last Northern white male rhino dies

This is heart-breaking.  Humans should be ashamed of themselves letting such a beautiful species become extinct.  RIP Sudan the white rhino.  Your species deserved better than this.  Hunters, poachers and people that profit from the killing of endangered animals are the scum of the Earth 

thumb_sngtro2gxsbg0uxi05ab0a4fe39062.jpg

The world's last male northern white rhino, Sudan, has died after "age-related complications," researchers announced Tuesday, saying he "stole the heart of many with his dignity and strength."

A statement from the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya said the 45-year-old rhino was euthanized on Monday after his condition "worsened significantly" and he was no longer able to stand. His muscles and bones had degenerated and his skin had extensive wounds.

The rhino had been part of an ambitious effort to save the subspecies from extinction with the help of the two surviving females.

"He was a great ambassador for his species and will be remembered for the work he did to raise awareness globally of the plight facing not only rhinos, but also the many thousands of other species facing extinction as a result of unsustainable human activity," said the conservancy's CEO, Richard Vigne.

Sudan was something of a celebrity, attracting thousands of visitors. Last year he was listed as "The Most Eligible Bachelor in the World" on the Tinder dating app in a fundraising effort.

The last male northern white rhino had been born in Sudan, taken to a Czech zoo and then transferred to Kenya in 2009. Rangers caring for Sudan described him as gentle.

The rhino "significantly contributed to survival of his species as he sired two females," the conservancy said. "Additionally, his genetic material was collected yesterday and provides a hope for future attempts at reproduction of northern white rhinos through advanced cellular technologies."

True. Homo sapiens is the worst that could have happened to the earth in general. Maybe the Neanderthals should have killed us instead the other way around, but who knows... they probably would not have developed any better. 

13 hours ago, Lolo said:

True. Homo sapiens is the worst that could have happened to the earth in general. Maybe the Neanderthals should have killed us instead the other way around, but who knows... they probably would not have developed any better. 

Lolo,  I thought by now the human species would have learnt enough to save our beautiful endangered animals.  It is heart breaking. 

Pedophiles, rapists, men who abuse their power in any role they hold, politicians of all colors, slavers, human traffickers, murderers, assaulters of all sorts, .... THIS bunch of human waste should become extinct and not rhinos, tigers, lions, elephants, innocent beings....

The more I know about men, the less I want to liaise with any of them.

We must retain the rage and sadness over the extinction of the white rhino -  can not let this continue to happen to other beautiful species.  We need to be the voice for these precious animals.  They have no voice but we do. 

Image result for goodbye sudan the white rhino cartoon

2 hours ago, pjcowley said:

I feel so powerless @Jazzy Jan overwhelmed by the shit of this world...

I feel the same. The extinction of the White rhino is tragic, infuriating, heart breaking and an absolute blight on this world.  It should never have happened.  

• 3 weeks later...

I am so happy that those beautiful pieces dy and their species rottens.

Its better to not exist than rather being hunted by rich people or some hunters for their sperms, horns, dicks etc ....just for f***** superstitious medicines etc...

World would have been a much better place when homo sapiens didnt become humanbeing...

On 13 April 2018 at 9:20 AM, jaron said:

I am so happy that those beautiful pieces dy and their species rottens.

Its better to not exist than rather being hunted by rich people or some hunters for their sperms, horns, dicks etc ....just for f***** superstitious medicines etc...

World would have been a much better place when homo sapiens didnt become humanbeing...

I will NEVER understand cruelty to animals and children  Cruelty to all humans too of course. It is something that is beyond evil and involves having no empathy and enjoying killing or hurting other living creatures.  There would be a special place in Hell for poachers that pay to kill these magnificent creatures in my world.  I would have them being continually hunted by animals and they would have no guns or weapons to help them.  We have to speak for animals because they have no voice at all. 

It is the same with the live animal export industry.  There is footage out how cattle were being tortured dreadfully before they were killed in foreign abattoirs and how sheep were dying on transport to other countries on ships in horrific conditions.  Australia just sends these poor animals overseas and the people that have seen this had  been turning their head in deliberate avoidance for the whole reason of saving as much money as possible and business reasons.  When the footage of the cattle were shown on ABC some years back,  Julia Gillard put a stop to the live animal export business immediately.   However, it was over-turned because too many were complaining about how unfair it was to the meat industry.  So basically,  extreme animal cruelty was not important enough for them to want to stop this.   Watching it made me throw up and I cried with anger and sadness.  People are trying to change things but too many in power are worried about how it will affect big business.  Money always speaks louder than the thought of both human and animal suffering.   Hopefully,  the pressure will keep being put on to stop the evil of animal cruelty. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Showing that there is also much good done in the world today by others who speak up for animals - as they can't talk,  we need to be their voice.   The complete opposite to the heartless evil poachers and hunters.  

"Sleeping With the Babes"

Orphaned babies never sleep alone at orphanages such as the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.

They have been through enough trauma, and need to know that they are now safe. These are emotional beings, just like you and I.

Sometimes they may cry, or even scream at night, but their caretaker is always there to soothe them and calm them downImage may contain: 1 personImage may contain: 1 person, text

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Poacher is trampled to death by an elephant before his remains are devoured by a pride of lions who ate everything apart from his skull and pants in a South African nature reserve

A man attempting to poach a rhino in the Kruger National Park was crushed to death by an elephant before being eaten by a pride of lions leaving behind his skull and a pair of pants. 

Three of the victim's friends ran away after the victim was crushed by the elephant and rang his family. 

Mr Phillips said the man's four accomplices were arrested and will appear in court in due course. 

Local police have arrested three of the man's accomplices and seized two .375 hunting rifles and ammunition.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6894359/Poacher-trampled-death-elephant.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR3P4JXJLeCMWXQaQHQFFlFdizoJPYA4OfFequ9GIx4sNyknXX-asvPbDww

You should never say bad things about the dead, only good.

That Rhino poacher is dead.

Good.

• 1 month later...

:cries:

Malaysia's last Sumatran male rhino dies, dashing hopes to save the species in the country

A rhino surrounded by greenery.

Malaysia's last male Sumatran rhinoceros has died, dashing efforts to save the critically endangered species in the country.

The rhino, named Tam, was about 30 years old and lived at a wildlife reserve in Sabah state on Borneo island since his capture in 2008, Christina Liew, state minister for tourism, culture and environment, said in a statement.

The Sumatran rhino, the smallest species of rhinoceros, was declared extinct in the wild in Malaysia in 2015.

Iman, a female captured in 2014, is now the only surviving member of the subspecies left in the country.

Another female rhino, Puntung, died in captivity in 2017.

Wildlife experts estimate that only about 30 to 80 Sumatran rhinos remain in the world, mostly on the Indonesian island of Sumatra and on the Indonesian side of Borneo.

Their isolation, caused by habitat loss and poaching, means they rarely breed and may go extinct in a matter of decades, according to conservation group International Rhino Foundation.

Since 2011, Malaysia has tried to breed the species in captivity through in vitro fertilisation, but without success.

Ms Liew said Tam's genetic material has been preserved for future attempts to reproduce Sumatran rhinos.

A United Nations report released earlier this month warned that 1 million of the world's species are under threat of extinction.

World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Malaysia paid tribute to the last male of its kind in the country on Facebook.

"Our hearts are filled with sadness as we mourn not only the loss of wildlife, but the loss of a species," WWF wrote.

"With Tam gone, we now only have Iman left, our last female rhino.

"If we are not careful, the Sumatran rhino will not be the only species that will go extinct under our watch."

In a Facebook post from 2015, WWF Malaysia said the Sumatran rhino used to inhabit forests across South and South East Asia, but its population "has drastically shrunk due to forest habitat loss and killing for its horn".

"The demand for rhino horn stems from the common yet misguided belief that it harbours medicinal properties," they wrote.

I am very sorry. Very sad. I feel powerless.

There are a lot of humans who consider animals being inferior to them, which is the reason why animals go extinct, why animals are abused, why animals are exploited in every sense of the world in order to fulfill humans' gain.

Just awful. I find consolation that life flourished before man and will rebound and flourish after man.