China will rate its citizens

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Big data meets Big Brother as China moves to rate its citizens

The Chinese government plans to launch its Social Credit System in 2020. The aim? To judge the trustworthiness – or otherwise – of its 1.3 billion residents

11-17-FTbotsman__01.jpg
Kevin Hong

On June 14, 2014, the State Council of China published an ominous-sounding document called "Planning Outline for the Construction of a Social Credit System". In the way of Chinese policy documents, it was a lengthy and rather dry affair, but it contained a radical idea. What if there was a national trust score that rated the kind of citizen you were?

Imagine a world where many of your daily activities were constantly monitored and evaluated: what you buy at the shops and online; where you are at any given time; who your friends are and how you interact with them; how many hours you spend watching content or playing video games; and what bills and taxes you pay (or not). It's not hard to picture, because most of that already happens, thanks to all those data-collecting behemoths like Google, Facebook and Instagram or health-tracking apps such as Fitbit. But now imagine a system where all these behaviours are rated as either positive or negative and distilled into a single number, according to rules set by the government. That would create your Citizen Score and it would tell everyone whether or not you were trustworthy. Plus, your rating would be publicly ranked against that of the entire population and used to determine your eligibility for a mortgage or a job, where your children can go to school - or even just your chances of getting a date.

A futuristic vision of Big Brother out of control? No, it's already getting underway in China, where the government is developing the Social Credit System (SCS) to rate the trustworthiness of its 1.3 billion citizens. The Chinese government is pitching the system as a desirable way to measure and enhance "trust" nationwide and to build a culture of "sincerity". As the policy states, "It will forge a public opinion environment where keeping trust is glorious. It will strengthen sincerity in government affairs, commercial sincerity, social sincerity and the construction of judicial credibility."

for the rest: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/chinese-government-social-credit-score-privacy-invasion

if this going to be succesful there, I am pretty sure Europe and USA will go ahead as well.

Maybe they do it for years and we dont know about it, I mean they collect all our private / personal data on social media, pay cards etc.

With that being said, I am not surprised

Guest CzarnaWisnia

We should pay hommage to this upcoming new world utopia, sure to raise both awareness and some much needed obedience, by rating each other here on MNation.

24 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

We should pay hommage to this upcoming new world utopia, sure to raise both awareness and some much needed obedience, by rating each other here on MNation.

Dotmusic (where this forum sprung from) used to do just that. Dotrate it was called. Where everyone rated each other out of 10. I cannot TELL you the chaos that ensued :smile:

Guest CzarnaWisnia
Just now, Kim said:

I rate you a 06, maybe a 07 on a good day :smile:

Damn, I don't like the sight of those zeroes. Oh well, only 93 points more to perfection. Gotta have goals.

1 minute ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Damn, I don't like the sight of those zeroes. Oh well, only 93 points more to perfection. Gotta have goals.

Out of 10 dear, out of 10:wow:

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Dotmusic (where this forum sprung from) used to do just that. Dotrate it was called. Where everyone rated each other out of 10. I cannot TELL you the chaos that ensued :smile:

if this happens here, we gonna have the mnation war :lol2:

5 hours ago, pjcowley said:

Fiction becoming reality.... YUK

1*u0rFM2aZ0F_cN1o6gnC2Ig.gif

I'm pretty this is happening soon!

Great episode tho!

Guest CzarnaWisnia
4 hours ago, Kim said:

Ah, but today you're a 06 :smile:

That's fine. To finally be complete, I just need to find a 04. You busy tonight? :smoke:

A credit score isn't all that different and having a good one affords you benefits that others do not have. Oh yes, technology that was supposed to level the playing field is now being used to develop a caste system. 

I just hope I will be like that woman in the Black Mirror episode, the woman with the van who hasn't got a profile and lives far away. I would live in a Bulgarian farm and won't care a litle bit about this program and if I am downvoted by everyone because I will have milk from my cow and Jari will bake bread and we will be comfortable there by the chimney. 

52 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

Can we give out +100 ratings? Because clearly @Kim is gunning for a first in that category :wow: :inlove:

Thanx babes xxx 

6 minutes ago, jaron said:

I give 10 out of 10 to myself, because only I can judge myself the best :queenbitch:

I'LL be the judge of that. I'll give you a 8.5 - only cos I'm feeling generous.

6 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

Ugh, we desperately need this. I'm sick of living in a world full of 0s - 5s.

I've heard it's tough being a 06!